Empty Shell (name still up for debate) (WiP) - Stage: Alpha

Quick question. Would you like to know what the NPC’s look like, or would you want it to be left to your imagination? (I’m planning on adding some short descriptions of some of them in the stats screen in the next update.)

Edit: Darn it. Can’t edit the title of the topic anymore.

I’d like to know how they look. It doesn’t need to be very specific but it always helps me to immerse in story better when I have some short descriptions :wink:

And while I’m at it, one more question. I just can’t figure out what word 'd fit on the place of the question marks (the line is used to describe a really bad, migraine like headache).

Sharp ??? of pain shoot through your head.

Feel free to rewrite the sentence if it makes more sense that way.

Torpedoes
(+ 20 characters )

1 Like

How serious should I take that reply?

What about “Sharp surges of pain shoot through your head.”?

I’d take it over torpedoes any day.

Update that isn’t really an update:

• Some stuff has been added to chapter 3 (on the trying to get along with Finn path) so that some other things in chapter 4 will make sense (chapter 4 isn’t out yet, in case you were wondering)
  • Descriptions of some NPC’s have been added to the stats screen.
  • Added some things to the start of chapter 3 so the transition from chapter 2 should be a lot smoother now. (Wasn’t there someone who’d commented on the clunky transitions between scenes? I can’t find the exact post though)

Chapter 4 is now about 10k long, which is somewhere between a third and half what it should be. I’m hoping to get it done before the 3rd annual CScomp.

Edit:
If you run into a stray chapter 4, please inform me immediately.

2 Likes

Apparently I have a very dirty mind… So I’m not going to say what I came up with.

Well, it didn’t really make sense anyway.

OK people. Chapter four is finally up and counting somewhere around 25 k words. Too bad you’ll only see about 2 to 4 k of them a playthrough (that’s a guesstimate. I’ve got better things to do than counting the exact numbers)

The thing has gone through a spelling check and has passed quicktest, so I’m mainly expecting continuity errors.
If you see the text jumping from one path to another where you don’t think it’s supposed to please give me a heads up.

edit: This also counts for if you feel like your MC is acting out of character all of a sudden or when you’ve got some other remarks.

edit nr. 2: The ‘just in time’ part in the title refers to the upcoming CS-comp, by the way.

Oh, and let’s throw in an NPC popularity contest just for the fun of it.

In my opinion the most interesting/annoying to write characters this far are Xena and Finn and my overall favorite is Jason. (too bad you won’t get to know him that well until much later in the story)

2 Likes

I’ve given it three rounds through currently and will do more when I get time. So far, I’ve stuck with doing chores with Jason, Ariel, and Xena both times and have not experienced any continuity errors that I could see. I noticed a couple spelling/grammar errors, I think. In regards to your edits, I’ll save my input until I get through the other options. Until then good luck with everything, enjoyed all of what I’ve read so far.

You watch the ship burst to pieces with a familiar sence of serenety. (Should be sense and serenity?)

This is what we’ll moving today, so we’d better get moving.” He grabs one of the boxes and chuckles at his own play on words. (This is a dialogue so I wasn’t sure if that was intended or not.)

Before you get the chance to walk up to the transparent wall to get a better look at the screen your cell door whizzes open. It’s Jason. He gestures you to followed him. (Followed to follow.)

1 Like

@Karnacjr Good catches. Sadly a regular spelling check doesn’t catch grammar mistakes.

And it’s nice to hear someone is actually trying to play through all the paths (though I have to warn you that some might be a bit over the top)

Happy hunting :dragon:

Answer below. Oh, and please use the [ spoiler] [/spoiler] function when posting about something that looks even remotely spoilerish. (minus the space. It’ll make the text go all gray and fuzzy as below.

In case that isn’t clear, it’s the diplomat’s ship that gets blown up. And yes, that always happens. It’s a bit of a major plot point.

Ok thanks for clarifying, I deleted the comment anyway.

The MC’s “How do I life? Emotions are hard” shtick is pretty fun. I like it.

One thing. I was a jerk to Doc after almost killing her and got punched by Jason, and not too long after I get to this part:

“Only doc shows up every once in a while to give you food, and sometimes you chat a bit and try to guess what’s going on.”

I was being treated like a dangerous prisoner beforehand, so this is out of place.

Also it would be cool if you could show remorse for being an asshat to Doc. I felt pretty bad after.

1 Like

In all honesty I completely forgot about that part :pensive:
I’ll make a more suitable alternative to that last part whenever I’ve got the time (probably in about a month or so).

While I like leaving the emotions to the player (mainly because different people will feel differently about the same situations) you will be able to apologize later on (how much later is still up in the air. Chapter 5 is a bit… murky at the moment)

Aaaand I’m back. Changed the thing @Sneaks suggested, so if you’re planning to be the second greatest asshole in the solar system (should make that an achievement) things should make more sense now.

Also, I was planning to take a break of a week or so to recover from the CScomp, but seeing how I pretty much began reading through my notes for the next chapter (chapter 5) as soon as I woke up that already failed :sweat_smile:

Anyway, I’m pretty much regretting my decision already. Poor kid… (will make sense when chapter 5 comes out).

So be warned. If you like nice and happy stories, this is pretty much your final chance to back out. Things get pretty grim from this point on. (should probably write a warning note about that)

6 Likes

I started playing the demo, and while I’m going to play it through several more times before offering a real review, I have some early feedback.

I love the game. The shifting viewpoints are interesting, and I don’t mind the “lack of choice”; it adds to the feel of the theme. However, it would make things much easier to follow if each section started with the name of the character (in bold?) so we have a better idea whose body we’re in. The name of the MC could change from their designation to their given name at some point.

Also, it’s a little jarring how quickly the MC goes from being totally passive to having moments of strong emotion. If they have emotions early on but aren’t expressing them, it could be made more clear in their own scenes. If the emotions are coming out of nowhere, it seems strange that they go from being “What is self?” to anger, desire for sex, or other individualistic urges. (There were only a couple of these moments, I’ll note them down next time I play.) Maybe it’s just because the game is in progress and it doesn’t feel like much time has passed between meeting the character and their option to choose a love interest.

4 Likes

Wow, you’re good at putting those things into words…

Anyway, it’s nice to see someone chose to hang out with Finn. I don’t think I’ve had that much feedback on the male RO’s yet.

Something like this has been requested before, so I guess I’ll implement it in the next update to see how people feel about it.

That is part intentional, part just because it’s difficult for me to properly write out emotions. The intentional part is that because the MC has a general knowledge about how the world and emotions work, and has been forced to suppress them for such a long time he/she/whatever has become a bit mentally unstable. So basically the moment the MC begins to question things the floodgates go open and, with him/her/whatever not being able to handle such emotions he/she/whatever will quickly close off his/her/whatever mind to them out of self-preservation. The whole emotional thing should even out a bit more as the story progresses.

They do not necessary have to be love interests. They are just who you choose to hang out with and might or might not be a valid love interest (they have their own preferences, so things might not work out the way you want them to). There should be opportunities to choose to hang out with someone else in the future. (and a few RO’s haven’t been introduced yet)

1 Like

So, you knew I chose Finn because he’s the only one who will jump into bed with you this early in the story? I had no idea he was unique in that respect, but that’s funny. And makes sense.

I misspoke, I suppose I meant “before you start bonding with whoever-it-is you choose to associate with.” Though the feel of the relationship developing might be quite different with another crew member - I’ll check it out.