Empire and Rebels (WIP)

The idea sounds interesting! If you go with two MC’s though, I’d prefer an approach of one male, one female, personally. That gives you a wider range of an audience, further divides the two MC’s and can give you better insight into how the life of a woman/man is in your world. Either way, I’m always down for scifi and cyberpunk settings. =)

3 Likes

Yea! When people hear the word “Empire” they seem to immediately jump to the conclusion that they are evil and oppressive and must me stopped. Maybe the Empire is the last bulwark of safety and order, standing against the onrushing tide of chaos and anarchy? Did anyone ever consider that?

Ungrateful heretic rebel scum! <.<

7 Likes

Down with the evil Aristo’s and their so-called “Empire”!

Vive la révolution!

Agreed on the Stormcloaks, they’re racist scum, not so much agreed on Palpatine’s Empire though. :wink:

5 Likes

Well said…one man’s Evil is another man’s Order

2 Likes

Dude can you calm down and read the comments please? The author said the rebels didnt agree with the empire policies. I didnt say make them evil, I made a suggestion to add a two gender option without doubling the work if it fit with the narative. Instead of trying to make the empire good and holy just because you like them please take a second to think about why I asked this.

Note I also asked if the story would be gray because it would be fun if both side had their good and bad. I know very much that rebels can be evil. I’m a french canadian, the separatists here are racist as hell, but you cant just act like conservative institutions arent generaly sexist either. Its just denying history. Hell, maybe an imperialist MC could even try to change it from the inside if it is this way. I never ever said the empire had to be evil and the imperial MC had to too.

I’m not pursuing this conversation though. I have no desire to have an argument with you and you do not strike me as open to a two way discussion right now.

Please dont start this. Nothing good can come out of this and I dont want a warning. Murder and corruption isnt order. Thats all I’m telling you.

3 Likes

You mean government bad, rebels worse in a Sierra Leone civil war “RUF” kind of way? That’s certainly possible.
That said it is also possible for my putative mc to knowingly join a rebel side that is worse if they offer better opportunities for personal advancement, for example if only Aristo’s can legally do certain things my mc maybe wants to do…that alone might be enough reason for him to Rebel, depending on what those things are and how much value he places on them. It all depends on what sort of mc seems best to me given this setting.

Then it becomes a question what the price of the Empire’s order is exactly, an oppressive religion, limited to no social advancement, the institution of chattel slavery as one of its bedrock principles?

2 Likes

I didnt suggest it to be sexist, I said it could be a possibility to only allow male on one side to lower the burden of codes If the author artistic direction allow it

Also said if it is a sexist instituion that it could be nice to change it from the inside. Just because you didnt like that I suggested that doesnt give you the right to put words I didnt say in my mouth. I know benevolant monarchies existed but honestly, without any hypocrisy and please if you dont know the answer then look it up, how many have there been compared to rotten and corrupt monarchies? I’m not saying the empire have to be this way but like I said, denying that conservative institutions havent generaly been in the wrong would be denying history. And before you go off about how rebels can be evil too I will remind you that I already know. Hence why I asked if the world was moraly grey.

Both side can have their negative points without making both of them entirely evil. If the empire is sexist nothing stop the rebels from being racist or radicaly religious or even straight up psychopatic.

I might be completely wrong but how you put this so far it sound like you just want to like the empire more than you want the the author deciding for themselve and taking suggestions you do not agree with. And its not cool. Feel free to suggest stuff but you are definitely in the wrong if you try to decide for the author. You have no right to supress suggestions. Make suggestions, not arguments about how much you think you are right.

Also please point me where I said they needed to be sexist in this post.

2 Likes

You began this argument, tried to disform what I said and even pushed it when I said we shouldnt keep talking about it because it was useless.

Of course its over and we should let peoples say what they want, wich is what you tried to keep from happening.

Now please stop trying to get me to stop making suggestions in the future if you had any plans to do it again just because you are not a fan of what I suggested and doing it again would be contradicting what you just said. I wont answer you in the future so have a great life and please dont try making decisions for authors again for the sake of everyone here who just want to play good interactive fictions. If the mods judge that I am going too far with this message then I or they will delete this post but not a lot of peoples like peoples who try to take control of others stuff. I think not trying to make decisions for the authors is even somewhere in the forum rules with not asking for release dates and such.

2 Likes

I just dropped by to say I like the idea of the game. Maybe not gender locked MCs, but it reminds me of the Legend series by Marie Lu, where we see how each protagonist, both from completely different backgrounds, think and act.

I’m bookmarking this. Hope it goes well for you.

4 Likes

So to clarify becuase there seems to be quite a argument going in the comments. Neither Imperial side nor Rebels are in the right. Both sides are moraly grey and it will be ultimately on readers to choose which ideals speak to them more. As for the genderlocking so far it still stands but most likely scenario is that Imperial officer will be female and Rebel leader will be male.

9 Likes

Darn it, looks like I’m a rebel. How much are you planning to let us customize them?

1 Like

This is probably what I would think is the best way to go with gender locking.

Though aside from gender, I don’t think it’s a good idea to make the MC the leader of the rebels. Maybe a high ranking officer like the imperial, or a lower ranking operative for further disparity. But when you’re the leader, games tend to fail to let you make any decisions for your organization and you just do whatever your “second in command” says.

In the Empire vs Rebel thing, I admit I’m more of an autocrat, but I think the way you’re doing it with letting us play both sides is the best way to go on the subject

3 Likes

Well that is quite a tricky question but if possible I´d like to let player choose his name, ethnicity, age, skills and backround information all of which will have impact on how MC is treated and it will also impct which choices will be available in some situations.

2 Likes

Well in this matter you specificaly would choose what your organization does and based on your actions perception of other rebels about you might change (example: if you kill too many innocent people, even if it for the cause, they might view you as traitor and betry you).

1 Like

Well @Havenstone does alright with letting our mc’s be rebel leaders. :wink:

1 Like

I think that’s more of the exception rather than the rule. There are far more games that say “You are the supreme commander of the mega fleet, we all obey your orders. Now go do everything yourself! No, you may not delegate! What makes you think you have any right to make choices!”

I’d rather the game be honest and say “You’re not the leader, you have to follow orders just like everyone else in the workplace does. We just won’t tell you how to go about it.”

2 Likes

This kind of things is really infuriating but I can assure you that I plan no such thing.

2 Likes

So how are you planing on presenting the two narratives? Will the story be separated into two distinct branches or will there be alternating chapters switching back and forth between the characters?

1 Like

First chapter will be rebels, second chapter imperials, third rebels, fourth imperials …

1 Like

Wait so we play both?

Imma make em kiss

6 Likes