Dumb questions from noobs like me

Can you place the stat chart code anywhere, or is it in a specific place?

Here is a beginners guide that should help you get started. It’s not finished, but it walks you through the absolute basics.

2 Likes

Oh. Thanks. I should probably take a look at that.

Would anybody notice if I made all the stat changes multiples of five? I’m mostly using fairmath, so I’m pretty sure the player wouldn’t notice unless they tried the game multiple times. When you put a choice within a choice, you give all the possible outcomes the same amount of indentations based upon their placement under the first question, right? And how many people would kill me if I named a minor villain “Grand Warden Nazareth”?

If it’s fairmath, using multiples of five is both usual practice and hard to notice, as %+10 will produce a different-sized increase in the stat depending on the score at the time you increase it (and odds are it won’t be a multiple of five).

Have a look at some scenes of published games to get a sense of how people use code and indentation. Here’s one example:

https://www.choiceofgames.com/neighbourhood-necromancer/scenes/chippy.txt

None, but some people will find it hard to get Hair of the Dog out of their heads.

3 Likes

Is there an easy way to code a card draw while still taking the respective card out of the deck?

Please elaborate? :confused:

Is it possible to make a card game with standard cards in choicescript and get the card out of the deck so that the next time you draw, the card isn’t there anymore? I’m sorry if it’s still kind of confusing.

Possible, yes. Easy, no. How many cards would you need to draw from the deck?

You would need to draw five cards. There’s only 52 cards.

Are you making a card game?
Sounds like a hard project. :grimacing:
I agree with @Scribblesome… possible, but not easy.

Yeah. I’m starting to regret my life decisions.

If it’s only five, you might be able to do an *if check?

So its

*create thiscard 0
*create card1 0
*create card2... (so on) -
*label game
*rand thiscard 1 52
*if (card1 = thiscard) or (card2 = thiscard) or ...
    *goto game
*else
   *if (card1 == 0)
        *set card1 thiscard
   *elif (card2 == 0)
         *set card2 thiscard

And so on. It’d force the game to loop until it found a card not included in the previous cards.
You could probably clean it up a bit but that’s the best I can come up with. Statistics are a pain.

(If you do something like this and want it to repeat, make sure that between rounds all the cards are set to 0)

1 Like

Holy fucking shit thank you so much I can finally stop suffering

2 Likes

Can you put *if and *else commands on a *fake_choice command?

*else doesn’t work with choices, fake or otherwise. It won’t crash your code, but any #option you try to start with *elseif or *else will just never display.

*elseif and *else are used for things like displaying text or changing stats, not in structuring your choices but in what comes between choices. See the example here.

You can use *if on a *fake_choice command. Indent when you do it; if you do it inline, it’ll often cause problems. So do it like this

*fake_choice
  #Jump!
  *if bird
    #Fly!
  *if salmon
    #Swim!
  #Just get out of here!

and not like this

*fake_choice
  #Jump!
  *if (bird) #Fly!
  *if (salmon) #Swim!
  #Just get out of here!

The bottom way can work for a *choice, but not a *fake_choice.

2 Likes

Well, that’s weird. Thanks for clearing that up.

How many variable checks can you put in an *if command?

It should be infinitely (of course, the check pairings can be tedious to code), but recently, I made a conditional checks with… 8 conditions, IIRC, and the game just don’t want to get through that.

Always shows the “can’t extract token” error.

How long do you have to take testosterone to get male body hair if you were born female?