Dropbox Links Not Working

My own games gave a 404 message despite my not having changed anything. It looks like a number of other games have the same issue, that previously valid links are now no longer working. I found that using the dropbox client to access my files fixed things but I’ve no idea what it fixed since nothing was changed in my events.

I had a quick glance at the dropbox site a couple of days ago but couldn’t find a reason why this was happening. Since a lot of other games have gone down too does anyone have any idea what’s up and how to avoid it happening again?

I wonder if it’s a bandwidth issue.

Does the 404 error happen when you try to play your own game online? I haven’t had the problem pop up with either of my closed betas, but those aren’t accessed nearly as much as the public ones on the forum.

Urgh. I hope the problem gets resolved, whatever it is.

They have been playing around with their URL structure, but I’ve not personally noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I had/am having the same problem. When I have Dropbox open in another tab (even on another device) it works but ten or so minutes after I close it I get a 404 error when I try to use a link.

Yes it’s happened when I’ve tried to go to my own game if I just used the link. My game’s down again as of typing this, which is frustrating since I didn’t change anything. I click the dropbox programme though and everything works again. I don’t think it’s likely to be accessed very much either.

Are you all using the new usercontent url links? E.g. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/738291/folder/mygame/index.html

^That’s meant to 404.

Or are your links more like dl.dropbox.com/u/829398/folder/etc etc?

Oh! Is it meant to 404? Why does it work sometimes then?

Um… The first one. It always worked before, why doesn’t it work now?

I just checked my own game which uses a dl.dropboxusercontent link and it works fine although I did get a 404 a few days ago.

I found this on the dropbox forums. https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=104710 So I tried sending off a support mail.

@FairyGodfeather @Katgirl64 @assassinsat

Sorry… I should’ve been clearer, that particular URL is one I made up randomly, so it’s going to obviously 404 - that’s what I meant, not that all URLs like that should 404.

I’ve never had any trouble with Terminal’s url: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7840892/CJW/choicescript/games/terminal/mygame/index.html

Try rearranging your dropbox folder structure (just to “jump” it)?
The only issue I get is the “something went wrong” bandaged box page, which is basically just server is busy/under maintenance. Can’t recall ever getting a 404 and I use db for CS stuff a lot, across numerous devices.

Oh! Yeah I misunderstood what you said. I did get a reply back from dropbox, I’m waiting for another. They said it might be going over bandwidth, however they’ve also said you get an email if that happens.

And you’d have to try pretty damn hard to get a purely text-based game to go over any reasonable bandwidth limit :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I’d think so. I have a 20GB bandwidth limit per day with a free account. That doesn’t seem like it would be likely exceeded. I think there must be something else going on, especially with so many of the games having the same issues.

PER DAY!? You must mean per month surely?
Either way there is no way anyone’s games on here are going over that! :o

My email from dropbox said

“Also, be aware that there is a 20GB/day limit on Public link traffic for free accounts, and a 200GB/day limit for paid accounts. Exceeding this limit will get one’s Public links disabled.”

Yep.

"For Free accounts, the total amount of traffic that all of your links together can generate without getting banned is 20 GB per day. For Pro and Business accounts, the limit is 200 GB per day. If your account hits our limit, we’ll send an email notification to the email address registered with your account. Your links will be temporarily disabled, and those who try to access them will see an error page instead of your files.

I can’t complain :smiley:
But we can agree that isn’t the issue!

Yeah. :slight_smile: I don’t think my little game is somehow going over 20GB. :slight_smile: That’s a huge amount. I’m waiting for another email back from them. Fingers crossed they’ll know what the problem is.

What makes me think the problem is bandwidth related is that it doesn’t seem to affect WiPs buried in the forums (therefore not accessed as often), nor does it seem to affect my own account (also rarely accessed). Also, it’s a sporadic problem, which would point to a trigger that fluctuates (like traffic).

All of my links use the old “dropboxcontent” URLs and I haven’t had any issues whatsoever with a similar 20GB limit that @FairyGodfeather has. I don’t know enough about how Dropbox works to make other theories about the problem, unfortunately. :frowning:

Oh! You’re right in that I’ve done some digging into threads that haven’t been updated for a year and the dropbox links there and they still seem to be working. Dropbox is being really slow to load them though. I’m wondering what’s up. Still I wouldn’t have thought my folder would have been accessed much either. I’ll keep on waiting for the reply I guess.