Dropbox is changing again :(

We’re always looking to improve the Dropbox sharing experience. The Public folder was the first sharing method we introduced, and since then, we’ve built even better ways for you to share securely and work together with your team.

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Basic users will be able to use the Public folder until March 15, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

How can I play a WIP that was closed? And why do they close?
Any way to play When In Rome wip?

NOOOO!!! :scream_cat:

Killing the Public Folder that thousands of people use to share files with other people doesn’t sound like an improvement to me…Oh well, their loss. Does anyone know of any alternatives?

We discussed alternatives here I think

Well considering this already stopped HTML from public folders I’m guessing alternatives at this point is alternatives to Dropbox all together.

"I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of files suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

They want to monetize everything they can and drop anything they can’t.

I don’t use dropbox much anyway for anything not private, but I jumped ship to MEGA a while ago because it’s bigger and has plausible deniability for the company on its ToS, which means my pirated stuff isn’t likely to be taken down.

I’m sure barely anyone here still uses Dropbox, anyway, since the HTML thing went down.

Each Basic Dropbox user is a pontential costumer - taking away their account priviledges is like kicking them out. They probably assume that anyone who hasn’t upgraded yet ins’t going to do so anytime soon, so better get rid of the expenses for something more lucrative. They’re a business and need money to stay afloat, I can get that, but it still feels like a douche move.

I understand - they should just be honest about their “needs” and leave it at that. I’d respect them more for being honest then doing this “dance” they are doing.

They’re also taking it away from paying customers on September 1st.

So how much would this affect on the CoG WiP side of things? Would it mostly be a matter of various older WiPs that still have their code files hosted on dropbox, which files would no longer be accessible? How many WiPs risk disappearing this way?

So you’re saying that they’re Dropfeaturebox? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

CoG WIP no longer work properly on Dropbox.

This change means that we will no longer be able to access the code of all the old WIPs on dropbox. That the downloadable links will not work.

So anyone planning to look at any of those later would have to go around and download them before the cut off date?

Which also means anyone who discovers the forum later than then will be out of luck :angry:

Alas, all of the abandoned projects on dropbox will be lost. All of those games we loved gone. So yes, I think if there’s a game you love, which is on dropbox, which is abandoned, you might want to save it solely for private use, in case it ends up gone forever.

ugh, I hate that dropbox is always changing I mean, hello! have you asked your users what they think on all this by any chance?

Those of us using the service for free, not paying them any money at all, really don’t get a say in anything. We get a free service, that is nice. We have to take the changes they make. It’s sad but that’s how it is.

It’s a pity they’re making these changes to the paid accounts too though.

And I haven’t even gone to look back at any of those yet. I’d probably better do so before it’s too late.

I suppose this could at least give cause to launch a discussion of what old Dropbox WiPs are most worth checking out :’(

Seven Winds. :slight_smile: The very reason I joined the forum.

Check out the dead WIP topic. Which WIP would you bring back from the dead?