Dropbox discontinuing rendering of HTML content

I am willing to host WIPs, but you have to know how to use an ftp program, which are free. I will have to setup for each user it might take a day. Once @Malebranche has the database done then it will just be a matter of logging into the site. I have solved the problem of the site updating slowly.

8 Likes

Thanks for giving it a go!

3 Likes

I’m now stalking other forums/discussion boards where people are looking for alternatives…

Update
Briefly tried netify and bitballoon… which is made with netify… I might go back and muck around with netify and see how it works some other time. Unless anyone already has familiarity with it?

Also saw that google drive has stated that they are discontinuing the html rendering as of 31st August.

2 Likes

I’ve done the whole stalking thing over the past couple of days (even tried webs.com again, which I’d previously sworn never to do!) and finally settled on homegrown dashingdon.com.

For sheer ease of use and speed of uploading / updating files, it’s hard to beat. Add to that the nice little CS-specific touches like the budding ‘themes’ idea and the one-click support recently added for @CJW’s awesome auto-save plugin (not to mention that its main page essentially acts as a kinda ‘WIPs Portal’ to easily try out / help test many different games, helping to spread the word) I’ve decided I really don’t need to look any further.

6 Likes

I’ll have to check out dashingdon.com too then. I’ve heard it mentioned before but never knew much about it.

-looks at it-

Very cool! It DOES look like a “WiP portal!”

@dashingdon, I’m PMing you about something

3 Likes

Hehehehe even for dropbox main discussion they have this topics.

1 Like

Hmm. GitHub and Azure both mentioned as alternatives on that thread. Need to check them out…

1 Like

I’m not sure about Azure, but GitHub is rather promising. I plan to try it after I try dashingdon dot com. Hope it works.

Does anyone know what’ll happen to the current WiPs hosted in dropbox that have been abandoned. Because some of thwm feature really good writing/ storyline and it’d be sad to see them go.
It’d be awesone if we could host them in a way which would only be accesible through a direct link from CoG, since the only things we know is that they allowed anyone on the forum to see their game, but didnt give over rights to distribution and stuff, in case they decide to come back (which is rather unlikely, still)

They’ll vanish, simple as that. At least, the ones of which the authors aren’t active on the forum anymore. It’s a bit of a pity, but there’s nothing we could reasonably do about it. They still belong to their respective authors, so any interference from our side without their explicit permission would be unethical.

3 Likes

I was assuming we’d still be able to access the files. They’d still remain on dropbox, available publicly, but they just wouldn’t be playable in the browser. You might be able to download them though. Don’t know.

1 Like

I just wanna say I do no think anyone should try to host other peoples’ games even if the intention is gwood. The forum rules even says so…

Post Only Your Own Stuff

You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else 
without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or 
methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, 
audio, images), or for breaking any other law.

No permission from orig author no re-posting of their work. I not sure if personally downloading someone else work is good without the author’z permission as well. My guess is that old games will fade away and it will all be forgotten?

Did you end up checking them out? I remember I did look at GitHub but decided against it. I forgot to note why though.

This one fella I found on a forum, found a kind of workaround. But I doubt this will be an easy option for most.

After looking at the pricing for azure, I’m not sure it’s worth it. Like you can get a free account but they’ve got this thing on there where they time you… like a trial or something.

So… I’m checking out godaddy.com today. Just checking out their help pages and stuff since I’ve never had a domain before. They have this $1 a month promotion right now…

UPDATE
Another person’s recommendation. I checked out itch.io and didn’t like it. It’s not something like the dropbox set up. I think it would be worth while checking out philome.la. But i don’t have twitter. Anyone want to give that one a go?

4 Likes

I’m using Github and it okay, but nit something that I really like. It difficult to update some stuff. A good back up but not real solution.

I also tried Philome.la and it not work for me. i could be do something wrong? Did you try that one yet?

2 Likes

That’s gotta be annoying. There has to be n easier way. There seem to be a lot of other indie game developers who are also looking for a solution.

nah I didn’t try it yet… I’ll make time to check it out. :disappointed_relieved: I need to go back through my emails and close down all the other accounts for the sites I’ve tried… the list is long.

EDIT v01
So I couldn’t remember why I didn’t like github but then I saw this post and was reminded of why. Some may not care but I won’t be using it. Just to clarify, most people have stated that github works for them.

oh and I didn’t try this one myself but I read that there were some credit card frauds happening through this site so beware if you decide to try this one. From what I’ve read, it’s not worth having your credit card hijacked. —> 000webhost

neocities.org WORKS!

well, I’ve only tried the compiled link and it allowed me to upload that and it renders fine. I think if you want to use folders you’ll have to pay in order to be able to use it. It say’s it costs $5. (it told me that the folder I tried to upload had files that weren’t available with the free account). As in, using the folder method… I can’t be certain as I’m using s free account right now and haven’t tested but it might work with this site. They do this because they don’t want it to be used for… well, what I’m trying to use it for right now. but you can read about that on the site.

I don’t think I’ll need to look much further for the moment.

EDIT… v02
This is a link to the compiled game I loaded on neocities

4 Likes

Anything I can do to make https://dashingdon.com a more attractive alternative? There’s naught for personal gain (it’s completely free) but I do want to give back to the community so if there’s anything I can do to make it more suitable for my fellow authors, I am glad to do it.

10 Likes

It won’t host PHP but it’ll host HTML, JS, and CSS, apparently!

Neocities… it’s trying to be like Geocities, isn’t it? Even though I don’t think I’m going to do IF atm I’d love to try making a static site.

aww… it’s not that I didn’t want to use your site, I just thought that it’d be a lot of work for just one person to manage. Imagine the influx of WIP’s that need to be uploaded and updated once October comes round. Just trying to lessen the load.

@Bagelthief, aw, I didn’t pick that up. I guess I was just happy to get something easily working that rendered. You should do that. I’m not sure, I haven’t tried geocities. Do they have the same structure?

Geocities doesn’t exist anymore, unless you’re in Japan!

Oh okay. Well, for me, I think I’m going to use neocities for now.