Dragon Racer (WIP) - Updated 1/30/17 (post 615)

It might just be me reading into it but when riding a black dragon we kinda do the same thing to another rider when our dragon jumps off them to get over the wall obstacle. It made me feel like a bit of a hypocrite when I went off on Saren after the race.

Not that it stopped me from doing so. If anything I like having a bit of depth to my riders character.

1 Like

I can see your point there, never really saw that before.

I think me personally, would only scream at Saren because I was actually going to win the race before he came and knocked me out.

1 Like

Don’t know if that reply was meant for me or @SeventhJackel but I’ll explain anyway.
Way I figure that humiliating epithet is going to hound my poor character for the rest of his career and the best way to make something stop being humiliating or hurtful is to own it (and even have at least some fun with it).

Way I figure that stableboy lark will make sure the mc won’t quite catch up to the pro’s (though the only one that matters here is Saren) until it is “too little too late” anyway and the damage has already been done. As by the time he can potentially afford nice things that image will become far too hard to ever erase completely. This way at least it’ll save me a fortune on wardrobe expenses.
It can also at least serve as a bit of revenge on fellow competitors and race sponsors and organisers for the fact the mc’s “professional” is never going to be quite as lucrative and rewarding as it might have been otherwise with that likely epithet hanging over his head.

It was for Jackel but I see what you mean though I wouldn’t think the Golden Chance races (the first race) would really matter much to officials, sponsors, and what not because it was a race of riders who have never raced before, completely inexperienced. (Though that could also make it worse I guess since you lost . . .:unamused:)

Plus because you can pick your solo event, besides the Showcase that you’ll have a chance to race in and the Golden Chance one, you might never have to compete in a race again.

1 Like

Ah, sorry then, I guess I got carried away there a bit.

It doesn’t help that we have one and possibly two teammates who will likely continue to dredge that bit of history up every time someone asks them about the mc and Saren would probably continue to do it even without being prompted.

As an assault on one’s pride and self-esteem, most certainly, even without the obnoxious teammate to ensure we and everyone around us never forget it.

But most likely at the cost of staying a stablehand forever, right?
In any case being a stablehand instead of a real pro-racer means less time and money for training and education and worse results for the foreseeable future, meaning it might take so long to get anywhere worthwhile that by the time we get there the fun will be out of it, particularly if it feels like we always have to settle for Saren’s scraps. Therefore I think by the time the mc actually does win something prestigious despite the inferior training he’s quite likely just to toss the trophy and any winnings on the first trash heap he comes across.

I think that in what might sting my mc most in practical terms, as a result of the inferior training and education, is never quite catching up to Saren in sheer magical skill before it feels like it’s too late.

I was under the impression that Saren couldn’t do magic? That and his inability to talk to his dragon was a big part of the reason the other riders were drawn to us as a teammate rather than him. At least that’s how I read it.

After all the mc doesn’t necessarily have a better personality depending on how we play them.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, grrr…both the arrogant obnoxious, boys names start with an S, sorry I got them mixed up, I meant Shader there.

True, though mine doesn’t deliberately go out of his way to hurt others, like Saren, a spell as a stable boy definitely isn’t going to make him more social.

Yeah I think the stint as a stable boy might actually be good for my mc. Force him to learn some humility. Although that scene where the head honcho had to break us up in the stable and then threats me … yeah there’s the rage.

Sadly I never had time to try this one before the public version was shortened to its current length, so I’ll take your word on it.

That might have been more relevant if we hadn’t been poor farmers for most of our lives. As it is I think my mc will be regretting not staying on the farm, where he could have done the same chores without the humiliation.

Oops

Yeah I haven’t actually played it since it got shortened. Probably should so I don’t go spoiling everything.

Never mind, you couldn’t have known that and I generally don’t mind spoilers as long as they further the conversation. :slight_smile:

To be vented on some silly trophy and other winnings in the future, hopefully.

My interest is peaked at your dislike for both Saren and Shader. It’s kinda funny to me cause it’s like a hate circle for your MC.

I actually really like Shader. In fact if you made my mc into an npc he would be Shader. Right dragon color, hair length and color, high magic focus, and personality is even fairly close.

1 Like

Well Shader obviously thinks he’s too good for us, and while that may have some grain of truth to it the moment we first meet, you don’t get to do over first impressions. Of course my mc’s fear is that due to his greatly inferior training, education and resources he will never be able to beat Shader magically, not until it’s far too late to derive any satisfaction from it at least. Since his magic is one of the few things my used to be proud of he will likely hold a grudge over it.

As for Saren…well it’s obviously not that hard to really hate a guy who not only nearly gets you killed but is subsequently greatly rewarded for it too and since all rider spots on the team are now filled…

The way this is going I suspect the mc might at best become some kind of charity case “extra” rider with none of the perks, provided he does better later since all those regular spots are filled now.

D’aw… I personally prefer to think of Shader as a li’l bit emotionally stunted. I don’t think we’ve managed to learn about Shader’s past (?) or any of the other companion’s pasts in-depth(?), but there’s just something about him that just screams that out to me. It might just be the way he was raised, but I’unno. I have a hunch. :thinking:

@idonotlikeusernames

I’m a keep this somewhat spoiler free since I don’t know how much you can still see, but many of these issues are addressed quite well.

I was very pleased with the way @ToxicDreams handled the magic duel with Shader. You have a chance to impress while it is still obvious he is much better trained then you. But the way you can call back to your own magic practice session was very satisfying. Everyones reaction to my use of the black dragons magic made me smile. Even if they weren’t necessarily smiling with me.

I can’t wait for the full release so I can see the other options. My expectations are very high now.

Yes, too bad I can’t get in on the beta now. Exactly how far did the public version used to go?

And since we’re just the stablehand he will likely continue to be so, right?

Another day or so only but they were busy.

As for Shader he will probably stay better trained for a while, but more powerful? I’m not so sure about that. A magic focused rider seemed to be pretty formidable for how raw we are.

Ugh, full release means it’s got to pass the dreaded “submitted to Apple” who apparently reject things for utterly stupid reasons.

Sure we may have potential but since we’ve got to tend to those stables we’ll have (greatly) reduced chances to develop any of it, compared to the rest of the team.

@idonotlikeusernames lol seeing your thoughts so far, I think you’ll like what will soon happen as well.

What do you mean by this? That Shader will hold a grudge because you have magic as well?

@SeventhJackel Aww now I feel the pressure.

1 Like