Dragon Racer (WIP) - Updated 1/30/17 (post 615)

They’d better not do it around my mc if they want to stay healthy, it is not something he likes to be reminded of.
Saren on the same team and getting paid much more is bad enough Saren dredging that back up…

So once we finally get out of the stableboy job we’ll get the same pay and perks as everybody else, including Saren?

That’s what I originally thought.

Also I didn’t really think the stablehand part was all that bad. I mean, of course it’s not what you want and I guess if your personality is against it then this comment doesn’t matter. But I saw the opportunity as a way to get out. The MC says that they never left the Pernrith, Ampleforth area so even with getting saddled with a stablehand position, it frees them in a way. So I always saw it as a positive.

2 Likes

It would be less bad, I agree, if the mc was a stablehand to a team that didn’t have Saren on it.
Having to play servant to the guy who nearly killed him isn’t going to improve his mood any, plus I’ve read somewhere that our overseer in the stables is pretty condescending towards us, so it won’t be happy days.
Of course I can’t know exactly what the author means “by sooner than you think” when I asked when the mc finally gets out of that stablehand job but I’m guessing mid-game somewhere, most likely after we first win something significant.

The extended demo had a long scene where the other 3 named riders can initiate the mc as their 4th member, I’m assuming for the group race. It’s not paid yet as of the end of that demo but for our first week I’d say that’s pretty fast

And I think I can smell a nice team mc vs team Saren moment in the not too distant future. Whether it’s on the track or not I’m definitely looking forward to reading it.

Yes, but at that time we’re nothing more than a stableboy. I’m sure they mean well and all, but an informal and completely unpaid position, while still having to serve as a stableboy isn’t what my mc is looking for.

Of course not. No I don’t think anyone would be happy with just that. My point is that we’ve only been here for a week or so and it’s possible to see the end of the stable boy tunnel.

Of course, ever since the author made that “sooner than you think comment” I have as well but I think it’s going to take anything between a couple more weeks to several months of misery and it is very important on what terms it ends a “congratulations we’ve underestimated you and think you can train with the big boys after all now, but unfortunately there won’t be any budget to upgrade your gear or pay for at least another year. Best figure out how to make do with whatever castoffs your teammates can spare or what you can scrounge up with the all of ten coins you “won” in the rookie showcase till then” would obviously be less than satisfactory.

What do you mean by this cause I think I’m actually interested in seeing this as well.

Are you referring to Vanora or Duncan, I have a good feeling you mean Duncan.

I’m pretty sure either way, stablehand or racer, we’re not going to be unpaid. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but we get paid depending on after the race. Like a first place racer would get paid more than the fourth place, but either way you still get paid. Stablehand wise, when I played the payments were kinda random but you still got paid for it.

Outfitting you wise you’re part of a prestigious racing stables, I doubt, no matter how horrible you are they will not let you go out with horrible equipment, you do reflect them either way and I’m sure they want to look presentable. Also I never got the ‘underestimated’ vibe from them, but it might be perhaps because Nyx was so adamant about you joining and persuaded two people to do so. Nyx at first wanted you to come on as a racer and so did Cassius, it was only because the owner and Duncan was going to tear Vanora a new one that you came on as a stablehand instead. The only one who seems to underestimate you, as far as I can see and who is of any importance, is Duncan.

If the owner has it in for us I guess we can forget about decent pay or perks.

“Presentable” is likely to mean Shader’s, or even worse Saren’s castoffs, take it or leave it. (in which case I hope leave it is a non game ending option).

I doubt those two would want to give you their castoffs lol, I could practically see Saren saying that even those are to good for you.

And neither of them are owners, both are trainers. I don’t think we meet the owner, if we do then it wasn’t in the extended demo . . .

A distinct possibility but Nyx’s castoffs would be supremely humiliating for a guy too, in her case while my mc would appreciate the sentiment it would be “thanks but no thanks”. Which only seems to leave Cassius who, unfortunately, seems about as far removed from my mc in personality and probably style, as one can possibly get.

Aww your MC doesn’t like Cassius? Mine tries to impress him but fails mostly.

Well from that short demo I’m undecided on whether my mc likes him or not it’s possible that opposites could indeed attract here, but he definitely doesn’t want to copy his whole “noble, chivalrous knight” act and equipment. So while he may or may not like the guy, he definitely doesn’t like his style. So having to debut in it on the pro-circuit would be less than ideal too.

1 Like

I’m not planning on doing this for all of them but @TheBum asked me about Shader with his hair in its natural state, here’s a link if you are curious about Shader with his hair down. With that gorgeous smile on his face. http://13leagues.deviantart.com/art/Shader-Full-Body-616671729

7 Likes

You know, I honestly would’ve expected Shader’s outfit to have red detailing instead of blue, but, then again, I kind of envisioned him having a sleeveless tunic under a dark fur cloak. That may or may not be me wanting to ogle his arms. :kissing_closed_eyes: I blame Skyrim for all those lovely armors with bare arms. :blush:

4 Likes

Yes, Shader looks cute. Too bad he’s still an insufferable, condescending brat.

@ToxicDreams Aw thank you!! I’m not even planning on romancing Shader but geez. And yes, that is such a lovely smile. And stop, hold up - first part? Is Dragon Racer going to get a sequel?

@Lithophene It’s nice to know that I wasn’t the only one but I like the blue all the same.

Ouch, right in the Shader feels.

1 Like

@Lithophene and @TheBum Trust me, red was the first color I thought of but decided on royal blue for symbolic and color meaning reasons. And Shader’s kinda special because he reminds me so much of a rogue but he’s a magi, so it’s like, what do you wear?! His gear might get edited in the future but I don’t think I’ll expose those arms of his, wouldn’t want someone to faint. :sweat_smile::joy:

And a answer to your question, yes. If everything goes as I plan then it should actually be a trilogy.

Does your MC happen to be friends with Cassius by any chance?

5 Likes

That’s why I always love peeking into the world of D&D, man. There’s so many combinations of classes between the three main archetypes of rogue, mage, and warrior. The Spellthief is a good example of a rogue/mage hybrid. :blush:

I kind of imagined Shader with a masculine version of this drawing, except without the sleeves and with a proper cloak. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s not that far off from what you drew, actually… or maybe I’m just squinting too hard.

Dang, that’s a shame. I would’ve bought tickets to the gunshow. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Don’t know yet, what I can see of him in your shortened demo is too little for my mc to make up his mind about that, while Shader on the other hand makes a very unfavourable first impression on him.