Dragon Age Series

So I bought Dragon Age orgins and I must say it is incredible I can’t wait to play the rest of the series!! I am playing as a cross between a Dual wielding warrior and archer. How about every one else?

Gender-locking ROs and importance of gender in relationships
Unpopular Opinions

cant play the new one, too poor

arcane warrior is op ++++ go mage or go home

Arcane warrior is ridiculously overpowered… (of course that was my Warden)

Also DA2 is my favorite by far and the one that made me start to write in english…

Still so disappointed about DAI, so much running for so little dialog…

Played both Origins and Inquisition (when it came out). In the middle of Dragon Age 2, but a little stuck atm because of school. I’ve grown fond of the series as a whole, although Inquisition holds a special place in my heart as the first Bioware game I actually finished on my own. Had its problems, of course, but I think I was spared some of the disappointments many fans felt because I didn’t know about it until it had been released. I played as a mage in DA:I, but rogue is my favorite for Origins and DA2. :slight_smile:

I adore this series! Fell in love with Origins, still in my top 3 games of all time. DA2 is definitely different in style and storytelling than the others, but I still enjoyed it. Inquisition is on the border of almost, but not quite, being too sandbox for the kinds of RPGs I like, but still another good installment. Sad that David Gaider has left the series, but hope they can continue is his spirit. I also recommend his DA books and comics, if you like this world and the characters.

I basically played as a funny version of Legolas. But it was fantastic. Fair warning though, the second isn’t the best one…but play as a mage cause that class has more dialogue but everyone will hate you. But the characters are more interesting.sigh I miss isabella.

I keep meaning to play Inquisition since I nabbed it in the Summer Sales last year, even though I didn’t play any of the first two. Ugh, too many games to finish.

DA 1: Male, Dahlish rogue with and aggressive personality, ruthless and pragmatic. Hated humans at first but softened thanks to companions. Ended up romancing Morrigan and went with her.

DA 2: Female Hawk, mage, funny personality. Tried to avoid responsibility and heroism at every turn but universe just hates her. Romanced Anders, sided with mages.

DA 3: Female, eleven mage. Romances Solas (apostate mages seem to always have the best romance stories). Was a kind and benevolent all-loving hero, diplomatic and forgiving whenever possible, and trusting in the kindness of others to make good decisions. Oddly enough, the world turned out a much better place as a result of this. Take that Machiavelli!

I unfortunately haven’t had the chance to play anything other DA Inquisition (which I haven’t yet finished) but so far I enjoy being a mage.

Arcane warrior is the only one that matters, plus blood mage. There’s a reason magic is restricted, it’s OP. Plus if your a human mage your related to your Da 2 protagonist (cousins) Morrigan romance.

I made Hawke a mage for story reasons but I like Rogue better in 2. Merrill romance.

Da3 Human arcane enchanter mage, so he’s Dorian’s family, romanced Josephine.

I was ruthless in all of them but made “typically considered good” choices.

Always go with the dual wielding rogue, I can’t get enough of those guys! Yet with that said, origins I can’t play anything else but. I don’t like warriors at all, just not my style. And though I do like mages in the other two games, their attack speed isn’t my cup of tea.

In DA2, I’m normally mage just cause their attacking is cool and cause of party choices.

Inquisition: Definitely a dual wielding assassin, nothing beats that to me.

I remember playing DA origins about 6 years ago for the first, and you know what. I still love this series as much as i did back then, i just have more questions now! But i have to say, the only way to go in DAo is be a Ranger! Being an Archer is the most fun. And who doesn’t love calling a massive bear to tear apart your enemies.

In DA being a mage is the best, it just feel so much more relevant to the story.

As for Inquisition, there are so many ways to play. Every class has there own advantages and disadvantages. But i can honestly say that i have like playing all classes in this one.

You know that fight that you’re supposed to lose so that you get a whole new chapter?

Yeah, I never knew I was supposed to lose that fight so I just stood behind a door and flicked between summoning wolves and a bear using the beginning of the hallway as a chokepoint until everyone was dead.

Including the boss you’re supposed to die against. And then I just walked out the front door.

Achievements in Ignorance.

Ages? LOL.
anyway, if I know anything about dragon ages its all like:

but then again I think that the knew ones are better, probably because of the graphics as I am a sucker for that kinda thing. but then again again :expressionless: I am trying to complete Twilight Princess after two years so I highly doubt that this new game is within my gaming abilities other than the fact I am obsessed with building in Minecraft and can knock old ladies over in a skateboarding game on Xbox…so yeah, love the title but unplayable with me.
(but you have got to love the plot :smile:)

DA1: Human female mage. Mostly good hearted. Saved the circle, cured the elves, but with the dwarves she went with the first candidate to ask for help (Bhelen) because she just wanted out of there. Broke the anvil because it seemed like blood magic. Initially romanced Alistair but hardened him, but later put two and two together when Eamon wanted to crown him and proactively dumped him. She married him to Anora and rode off into the sunset with Zevran (because Morrigan was unfortunately straight).

I created her because I wanted a character who could kill Jowan and put Alistair on the throne, the rest of her choices came naturally from the personality I created to do those things.

DA2: Female Hawke, mage, purple to the max. I think my favorite playthrough was when I rivalled everyone except Varric and Aveline. Romanced Fenris, had a fling with Isabela and unrequitedly pined for Aveline. Sided with the mages but killed Anders (though I have a save where I spared him just to piss off Sebastian).

DA3: Elf female mage. The human/elf choice actually made a difference this time, yay! Generally merciful in her judgements because I imagine the Dalish don’t impose the death penalty very often. Romanced Blackwall, pined after Cassandra (whyyyy are the women I like always straight), gave Morrigan the well. I played her as gradually becoming more broad minded as she met more humans, dwarves, elves like Sera, etc. I see her fighting against Solas’ plans in the future despite it being everything she should want.

I didn’t find out I was supposed to lose that fight in DA:O until I read it later in the wiki. lol. If we were supposed to lose it, they shouldn’t have made it so easy, and that was on the supposed nightmare difficulty level… They assume players aren’t going to min/max their characters and optimize their gear while hitting every encounter along the way for maximum xp. Bah. I played nightmare because I wanted a challenge.

Beyond that, I didn’t care for the changes in the dialogue system for DA2, nor did any of the romances particularly resonate with me, so I greatly preferred DA:O where I quickly became fond of both Morrigan and Leliana. The best origin of the set was the city elf IMHO, that one really hit me in the gut, even though I usually played either mage or human noble, and loved those origins as well.

I think Dragon Age: Origins was the last Bioware game I actually liked, but I did like it quite a bit.

Played through as a duel welding rogue dwarf commoner. Mostly traveled around with Morrigan, Sten and Shale.

Let’s see as far as major choices were concerned:

Romanced Morrigan
Sided with the templars (Killed Wynne in the process)
Killed the boy and got rid of the demon
Sided with the werewolves and wiped out the elves
Supported Bhelen
Kept the Anvil
Contaminated the ashes (Killed Leliana in the process, then killed the religious fanatics and the dragon outside after getting their reward anyway)
Let the old Warden continue his experiments
"Killed" Flemeth
Made Loghain a Gray Warden and had Alistair executed leaving Anora as the sole ruler
Did the Dark Ritual with Morrigan
Saved the Vigil’s Keep (All companions survived in the expansion, well except Justice)
Sided with the Architect
And went into the mirror with Morrigan

I was annoyed that Anders hit on me. Not because I found it uncomfortable, I’d probably take that as a compliment if I felt more in touch with my characters, but because he was such a lady’s man in awakening with no prior hints, in a world where the only mentioned sexual discrimination happened because of a certain family trying to breed a “perfect” line, so he wouldn’t even have a reason to hide it.

Didn’t Zevran hit on everyone? And the Leliana ninjamance? (I had to look up a guide to avoid her romance) And Isabella?

Actually I remember complaining about the romance options in inquisition since a straight female got four romance options as opposed to two for everyone else.

If I were making a game I’d probably have a choice, default, and a randomizer for everyone not profoundly shaped by their gender or orientation and even then if I had extra time I’d consider it, I generally think more customization is good.

OH MY GOD DO YOU RECALL THE CISHET MAN ON THE FORUMS SAYING CASSANDRA HAD A MAN’S SKULL HSHSHJSJSJSJS

ALSO

To summarize, in the case of Dragon Age 2, BioWare neglected their main demographic: The Straight Male Gamer.

I don’t think many would argue with the fact that the overwhelming majority of RPG gamers are indeed straight and male. Sure, there are a substantial amount of women who play video games, but they’re usually gamers who play games like The Sims, rather than games like Dragon Age. That’s not to say there isn’t a significant number of women who play Dragon Age and that BioWare should forego the option of playing as a women altogether, but there should have been much more focus in on making sure us male gamers were happy.

Now immediately I’m sure that some male gamers are going to be like “YOU DON’T SPEAK FOR ME! I LOVE DRAGON AGE 2!”, but you have to understand, the Straight Male Gamer, cannot be just lumped into a single category.

Its ridiculous that I even have to use a term like Straight Male Gamer, when in the past I would only have to say fans, but it is as if when the designers were deciding on how to use their limited resources, instead of thinking “We have fans who loved Alistair and we have fans who thought Alistair was annoying. We have fans that thought Morrigan was great and we have fans that thought that she was a ****. And we have fans who liked the combat and we have fans who hated the combat but liked the story. How do we make make all these groups happy?” Instead, it is as if they went “We have straight males, straight females, gays and lesbians. How do we make all these groups happy?”

In every previous BioWare game, I always felt that almost every companion in the game was designed for the male gamer in mind. Every female love interest was always written as a male friend type support character. In Dragon Age 2, I felt like most of the companions were designed to appeal to other groups foremost, Anders and Fenris for gays and Aveline for women given the lack of strong women in games, and that for the straight male gamer, a secondary concern. It makes things very awkward when your male companions keep making passes at you. The fact that a “No Homosexuality” option, which could have been easily implemented, is omitted just proves my point. I know there are some straight male gamers out there who did not mind it at and I respect that.

When I say BioWare neglected The Straight Male Gamer, I don’t mean that they ignored male gamers. The romance options, Isabella and Merrill, were clearly designed for the straight male gamers in mind. Unfortunately, those choices are what one would call “exotic” choices. They appeal to a subset of male gamers and while its true you can’t make a romance option everyone will love, with Isabella and Merrill it seems like they weren’t even going for an option most males will like. And the fact is, they could have. They had the resources to add another romance option, but instead chose to implement a gay romance with Anders.

I’m certain that some will declare “That’s only fair!” but lets be honest. I’ll be generous and assume that 5% of all Dragon Age 2 players are actually homosexuals. I’ll be even more generous and assume that the Anders romance was liked by every homosexual. Are you really telling me that you could not have written another straight romance that would have pleased more than 5% of your fans?

Dragon Age 2 did have its faults no doubt, objectively; combat that was fun initially but quickly got tedious as a result of constantly respawing enemies and too many random encounters, not so well disguised re-used environments, a flawed equipment system in which most of the loot you got could not be used. And subjectively, I’ve seen complaints of the new faster combat, the new dialogue wheel and so forth. But truth to be told, I wasn’t happy with every single aspect of Origins either, but still I loved that game. The gameplay elements are only a part of an RPG, theres the story and characters that drive it. If the same amount focus and attention to characters were given for me as there was in Origins, I’m sure that even with all those technical flaws, I would have found Dragon Age 2 a good game, a flawed game, but still good. As it stands right now, with mediocre characters and mediocre gameplay, Dragon Age 2 is a mediocre game and I’d rate it as such.

David Gaider replied in the last thread stating, “There’s a lot of assumption in there, not the least of which is certain amount of privilege (not to mention an assumption that all straight male gamers must like the same thing)”. It’s odd to me that David realized that not all straight male gamers like the same thing, yet thought it prudent to try to include a cast that would be liked by straight male gamers, straight female gamers, gays and lesbians with a development time of 18 months. I just hope that the next game BioWare will get its priorities right or spend more time making the game.

Despite my opinions I fully respect the opinions of those who disagree with me so please let’s agree to disagree in a respectful manner and not let this descend into personal attacks. I respectfully request that the moderators simply remove the trouble makers and trolls who make inflammatory comments rather than locking the entire thread because that’s what the trolls want. Thank you.

The straight male demographic is a huge demographic. I’d put the number that over 80% of RPG fans are males. They all like different things, this is a group numbering millions. Now you also have another group, the homosexual group, I’d say generously, that this group represents 5%.

Now if the goal is maximize the amount of people who enjoy the game (pure numbers), does it make sense for BioWare to spend as much time trying to appeal to this group of 5% as it does to the group of 80%. Its clear that even in the 5% group, not everyone was happy. Now for the 80% group, with the same amount options, how many people do you think aren’t happy?

(…) I always like to bring The Witcher up as an example. This is an amazing game and more amazing so that it was developed by a small Polish company. One would think that the game being developed by Polish producers would not be able to connect with a English speak audience, but that is not the case at all. This is game which was inarguably made for straight male gamer. Because the designers only had to worry about that demographic, they were able to create a strong memorable protagonist and strong memorable support characters. They could give us many choices and not worry about having to produce voice-overs for so many different characters. I can only imagine how amazing the game would be if they had the budget that Dragon Age 2 had and its pains me to think about how great Dragon Age 2 could have been.

If your goal is not to make as many fans as possible happy but to enact some form of social crusade then please, market and advertise the game as such. If you believe there are a substantial number of players who would appreciate those features, then advertise it and create trailers for it, don’t lead me to believe that this game was crafted for the straight male. If you truly believe that the straight male gamers are not important enough that you should focus on them, then I would like to see your marketing reflect that.

As a side note, I’d like to say that I’m not at all surprised by all the pro-homosexuality comments and that I expected even more. 1% of a million is still 10000. No doubt you’d have a many of them trying to protect their “privilege” in Dragon Age 2.

Those who agree with me will likely do so silently for fear of being called homophobic by what can only be called a mob.

An actual grown man spent his time writing this down. No joke.

My problem with romance in Dragon age 2 is not the everyone is bisexual. Is how bad handle the romance was handle. I hated Marill with all my heart I left her in his home and never returned to talk about anything However, game decided launch her in several scenes over me with no sense whatsoever for our relationship. And the fact I say nope aa character like I am with x let me be Their response annoyed like brats is fake and weird. I like The fact all characters have same opportunities but were terrible handled Dragon Inquisituon did a lot better job with romances like Serah and Dorian… Still angry with bioware not allow Dorian and my Male marriage My noble male is called Alexiel