#DontStayInSchool-What do you think?

So one day I was browsing YouTube and I came across this video. It really made me think. For some reason, my computer won’t post the link, but go on YouTube, search up dontstayinschool and after you watch it, tell me what you think.

What Frustrates You Big Time?

Here’s the link: Click meh!

I liked it, laughed so hard. I just find it rather disturbing, since in here at least some of the things mentioned in the video are taught. Some in primary education and some in secondary.

Actually, it depends on which school you went to. If you went to a school that teaches that, great! But the vast majority of schools don’t teach that stuff, so the video is trying to spread awareness-and succeeding.

I agree with Dave’s message. Some subjects really should be optional.

I never figured that things were that bad. But my only “experience” with U.S. education system is because a transfer student that came to my school, and after some time we came to a conclusion, that I had more actual knowledge on U.S. civil war and a few other topics that concerned the mentioned country. So I figured, that they’re just very liberal on those topics.

I think it’s a fairly accurate description of our country’s educational system. I was actually so sick of the nonsense they teach in primary schools that I went to a charter school for the last few years of high school. Now, I have a doctorate in marine biology, and a job on a cruise ship. My friend from charter school graduated with a 4.0 G.P.A. and is now earning his doctorate in robotics at M.I.T. Meanwhile, all my friends from primary school are still working minimum wage jobs. I’m not saying this is always the case, but I encourage those reading to look up the statistics.

Honestly I found myself disagreeing with everything he said. What he said is only true if you relied on class for all of your knowledge. any good student I know studies what they want to on their own if need be. Besides a lot of what he said was simply untrue. Maybe it was true in his public school but that’s certainly not the case in others.

Every high school I’ve been in has had a personal finance class, one that teaches you how to manage taxes. mortgages etc. There are mental health class to as my high school covered mental health issues in health class and I know that it’s part of the curriculum in many schools. My psychology class had a whole section on how to support those with depression. There are classes on medicine and all that, what did he think the frog dissection was preparing him for?

This looks to me like someone complaining about the system without going out of his way to take advantage of what the system does offer.

To be frank, This feels like someone complaining that the system failed them when they probably just didn’t take the effort to make the system work for him instead of expecting everything to be handed to him.

Furthermore why is it the school’s responsibility to teach people how to live? It’s not at all. I mean you need state sanctioned schooling to figure out how to take out a mortgage? really? Also he said balancing a mortgage? really ? Like adding money that comes in and removing money that you spend?

I noticed in one part how he ripped on learning the quadratic formula, as if you don’t need knowledge of that to handle even the most basic of finances.

The things he mentions are knowledge, actual knowledge of human history and the sciences, For all of history people this many people have not had access to truly get an education like this person truly has and he rips on it by saying he would rather learn just basic functioings. I mean he is getting a better understanding of the wealth of human knowledge than the richest of people did throughout history for free.

I think that we can all agree that the school system has come a long way, but there are ways it can be improved.

Oh definitely, perhaps the Scandinavian model? Problem is the US population is too big and diverse for the Scandinavian model that’s so lauded as the world’s best.

Vote Bernie Sanders to ensure an improved school system.

@Imon, I think, that scandinavian model could work in U.S, but it would also mean revamping taxation, some major changes in attitudes and some tweaks in the political system, and of course teachers would have to be certified.

Because I don’t wan’t to go off-topic, after my last post, I did some reading, and it seems that the current educational system tries to go out of it’s way not to provide an equal opportunity to learn for all students. As the quality of your education is highly dependant on where you live, and how much money your parents have. I find this rather stunning.

It’s sort of the logical that the richest would get the best education. I am in no way saying I advocate for that of course, I mean I know what poverty is firsthand. But I mean it’s not surprising that those with the best resources get the best services.

VOTE BERNIE ALL. to be honest I am far more worried about the college debt situation than with public education.

Watch the reading hate comments video. The guy has a PhD in Nuclear Physics, and a bunch of diplomas and all that on multiple subjects I forgot. Plus, as I stated, that is not the case everywhere. Also, the subjects we are forced to study are stupid. As the guy said, we should have understanding of these subjects, but making them mandatory when they are not practical and making practical courses OPTIONAL is stupid.
EDIT: Especially the human rights part. I mean, we CAN learn it, but we SHOULD be able to say it as easily as our time tables. It could be very helpful when dealing with the law and some other stuff. What I meant about dealing with law is concerning rape. Some courts will not press charges, stupid as that is, and you can bring up your universal rights to help your case.

It’s hard for me to comment because I had a fairly large degree of freedom in high school on what courses were mandatory because I was in an honors program. I can agree that there needs to be some more focus on practical and tangible skills but I think we need to be careful on making too many things optional. I can tell you with certainty that many students will simply pick the subject that are easiest to pass rather than what interests them. When you are young it is really unusual to have the appropriate perspective or have any idea what your real interests are to make wise decisions on subject choice that early in life. I have come to like a lot of things about the Japanese education model and would be interested in asking experts in secondary education why we don’t do it this way in the US.

First is that they organize the different levels of school much more logically in my opinion. Elementary school is 1st through 6th grade, middle school is 7th through 9th and high school is 10th through 12th. Rather than making dropping out of school a choice getting in to high school is a competition. I think that motivates middle schoolers who want to continue their education to take school seriously and make the learning environment in high school much more productive because everyone who is in your class wants to be there.

I am skeptical on memorizing the Universal Declaration of Human rights, it holds no legal weight in the US at least. I think a bit more attention to civics and national laws and teaching those fundamental life skills classes the singer mentioned should probably go in 9th grade based on the above model. Secondary education should also be offered publicly in the form of trade schools for those who aren’t interested in higher education and high school as well.

The US also needs to prioritize funding for public education in general in a way that it really hasn’t to date.

TLDR: More competition in schools for students, diversify learning paths at the secondary level, change the school year structure, and greater focus on practical skills in 9th grade.

Hm, just touching on the one point, I’d argue that the competitive nature of schooling in Japan has no real beneficial applicability in the US. Remember, Japan is predominantly ethnically and culturally homogeneous, and highly urbanized across pretty close to the entire country, while the US is, well, not. For secondary education, a lot of people just don’t have options in the US. It’s one or two public schools, and that’s it. Making that a competitive system would just result in more drop outs, particularly for urban youth, and a much higher difficulty for colored people to receive education.

One thing that does help here is the relatively small geographic distribution of the population. The schools are also smaller and more numerous in general (the funding suggestion might work toward addressing that). I don’t believe that the ethnic homogeneity of Japan has much to do with the efficacy of the school system and by their model we should get a wider distribution of ethnicities in high school at least because selection is competitive, a good thing I think. For those who aren’t ready to enter the work force but also don’t want a more general education the public trade schools I mention should be an option. This is emphasized in Japan due to the strong influence of unionized labor and their love affair with red tape. Virtually every career requires some kind of licencing track.

So whole cloth adoption, probably not, but I do think there is some goodness there worth looking at.

Why name the title “Don’t Stay in School” when that is not the message and has nothing to do with what he is saying???!!? Is he trying to tell us don’t stay in school because most of the school system doesn’t teach how to live life? (Yea he should’ve put more thought in the title, but I agree with some of the things he has to say).

Yeah that was a total clickbait title