Donor: A Vampire Victim's Tale [GAME RELEASED!]

I strived to make the honesty mechanic as balanced as possible. For instance, if your honesty is too high, you’re locked out of the “save Charles” ending. But there are certain rewards reserved only for high honesty players, such as the “Rich’s pet” ending (the one complete with your own apartment and job, that is).

As for low/high humanity, I’ll admit that the game slightly favors high humanity (for instance, you risk being fed to Charles if you don’t save the dying man in the laundry room), but there’s a unique payoff for low humanity toward the end of the game since the vampire ending is only available to “evil” players.

Should be viable, although perhaps with unexpected consequences… If you play this way, you’ll have to let me know how it turns out. :smiling_imp:

Oh good!!! :smile: It’s been my hope that the different playing styles will make replaying the game worthwhile, so it’s really nice to hear from satisfied players with opposing stats. :partying_face: :woman_cartwheeling:

5 Likes

Well it’s a good thing I don’t want to save charles :smiling_imp:

But gotcha, i’m glad i’m wrong in this case, i just wanted to bring the point up to check if it was just in my head or not :smiley:

1 Like

Wow. This is honestly one of the greatest text games I’ve played so far. I love the character building and the rich storyline. Very well written.

3 Likes

@missakari thank you so much!!! You completely made my day :hugs:

PS - Chapter 10 coming next weekend (barring any unforeseen emergencies at work) :smiley:

5 Likes

That’s great news @Elena_H! I look forward to what it will bring :slight_smile:

I know, I am late, but Happy New Year! Hope you had a delightful holiday and a wonderful beginning of 2019 :smiley:

And speaking of New Year, here’s a question for you: what would be the best Christmas presents for Richard, Paul, Charles and Lenore?

1 Like

Funfetti straws, duh

Probably a salad?

Xanax pills???

4 Likes

Happy New Year!!!

As for xmas presents, there’s no possible way I can beat @Fay’s brilliant answers, but here goes:

For Lenore: Anything made out of silver (and I only say this because Xanax was already taken :stuck_out_tongue: )

Rich and Paul: Those guys might really appreciate epiPens in the next couple of chapters :wink:

Charles: Croutons???

4 Likes

I just spent the greater half of the last 3 hours sick-reading through this story multiple times. I. love. it. I thought that playing as a gender-locked female might turn me away, but the characters are so good that I completely stopped caring about it.

During my initial playthrough, where I played through how I wanted to, I ended up being mostly creative and deceptive with low humanity, I had Paul on my side more than I did Richard, and Charles hated me. My internet crashed right before I started Blackjack with Paul in Ch. 9 which sucks because I got a really good bet offer., but overall I was pretty satisfied.

The only concern I had: On my second playthrough that I started at Ch. 9, I was exploring the options and I chose to stay with Paul. The fact that we have a kid with Paul is interesting, but I really hope it’s optional. The brat ended up spoiling my escape plan and I’d prefer that not to happen lmfao. I’m sure escape isn’t possible anyway, but I’d at least like to fail after trying and not fail before I’ve even tried.

I can’t wait for the remaining two chapters!

7 Likes

Oh wow I just can’t imagine a better compliment! I realize that gender-locked-female is a huge turnoff for potential readers, so thank you so much for giving the story a chance anyway.

As for your concern… The “brat” ending is only one of many resolutions available to the player, after which there should be an option to see how the MC fared in another universe (please let me know if this wasn’t available to you for some reason). Escape is definitely possible, and it’s actually the main focus of chapters 10 and 11.

I can’t wait to share them with you! Thanks so much again for playing :hugs:

6 Likes

I’m behind schedule on the update :sweat:

Should have something out within the next few days; I just need to make sure I’ve covered all the different permutations :dizzy_face:

8 Likes

Take your time! Hope all is well-- eat some dark chocolate, put on those fuzzy socks in the back of your drawer, pet a kitty :kissing:

3 Likes

:heart::heart::heart:

Thanks, I kinda needed that :hugs: Took your advice and am now petting my kitty-sized doggie :dog:

10 Likes

Take all the time you need! I’ll patiently and feverishly await the next update!

4 Likes

Just dropping by to say this: you’ve already done a terrific job with Donor so take all the time you need (and everything else). You deserve it.

Best way to spend the day.

Speaking of … What kind of pet would Donor’s characters likely buy? I imagine Richard is more of a cat person, Paul more of a dog person … Lenore I could see owning a bird or a fish for some reason. Charles? Not a clue.

1 Like

Charles definitely owns some kind of reptile.

2 Likes

I asked this and Elena already answered it, let me see if I can find the post

There it is

He’s a snekboi

3 Likes

UGH you guys are just so amazing :relaxed:

Been slammed again this week but making another big push this weekend. Thanks so much for your patience.

You know what? Now that you mention it, so could I… Probably more likely to own a fish :tropical_fish: I hear birds are a ton of work (yet completely worth it), and she isn’t supposed to be a very responsible character :stuck_out_tongue:

OMG I looooove this.

:snake: Nailed it.

6 Likes

Alright, it took me a while, but chapter 10 is finally complete. Even though it’s > 10k word count (but this includes code, I don’t know how to count without code :frowning: ), some paths through this chapter are short. The longest is the one where Charles is still alive and coming to kill you.

Highlights:

• Two new epilogues: “Destination Unknown” and “A Stunning Conversation Piece”
  • Related to the above, two new endings available: “An Unlikely Ally (happy ending #4)” and “Careful What You Wish For (death #6)”
  • You can kill Rich
  • You can kill Charles
  • You can put Rich’s eye out
  • You can finally escape the basement

Three main paths available:

1. Charles is dead (you can get here via the “Vamp in Training” quickstart profile). This is probably the shortest path, and you just have to escape Richard (or you can choose to stay :relieved: )
  2. Charles is still alive and coming to help you (you can get here via the “Master Manipulator” quickstart profile). For this path, you’ll need to have a decent relationship with Charles, and you’ll need to have sabotaged Richard’s plan to kill him (or else he’s going to think you were involved with the attempt on his life).
  3. Charles is still alive and coming to kill you. This is the longest path, involves a mini-game, and follows the main arc of the novel.

As always, I’d love feedback. The code is total spaghetti :spaghetti: at this point, so please let me know if anything looks off.

25 Likes

Ohhhhhhhhhh, I am doing raid right now, but as soon as I am done I will be diving on this gem :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yikes. He needs some milk

Yay! I’m so excited!!

1 Like