Donor: A Vampire Victim's Tale [GAME RELEASED!]

Some level of linearity is inevitable because no matter what, the story is going to be about Lenore being kidnapped and trying to survive. But I think that keeping the character and her initial motivations pre-determined, it makes the choices in the story seem more important and I feel more connected to Lenore.

3 Likes

And then Rich turns my Yasmine anyway because he wants to live with her forever in holy undead bliss. You make a good suggestion, I’m just going delusional from denial.

Also! @Elena_H I forgot to mention how much your teasing moments with Rich and a half-naked/naked MC were getting to me. I know there’s no romance but you keep giving me hope. weakly shakes you with my noodle arms

And on that note, what’s your lore reason for vamps not being able to have sex? I think Rich says sex doesn’t work for them anymore in the laundry room with the MC. I know the usual reason is that you need blood and a working circulatory system for arousal to manifest in your bits (I’m trying to be PG, it’s hard okie) but I was curious about your own reasons. The story has been excellent so far without romance so this isn’t me pressuring you, I just want the lore tidbits.

You’re not the only one. :shushing_face:

3 Likes

Yay, I’m not the only one getting teased here!

I think it was explained in one of the earlier posts, but I don’t remember which one.

2 Likes

Full disclosure: I’m well aware of the (sexual? romantic?) tension in the book between the MC and the vamps. And I knew what I was doing with the laundry room scene.

Was it a tease? Yes and no. Part of the fun of this story (for me) is the temptation element. Paul and Richard are charming, it’s easy to feel “safe” around them. It’s easy to let yourself become attracted to them. But it’s a trap. THAT is what I was trying to accomplish in the laundry room. My intention was for the reader to almost want Richard to bite into them - but he’ll kill you, of course. It won’t feel good. It’s an illusion.

This is the danger, right? You’re trapped, Paul and Richard are absolutely planning to kill you. So why don’t you want to leave??? As an author, I find this predicament absolutely delicious, and I play it up in every way possible :stuck_out_tongue:

So why no sex? Lots of reasons that I’ve posted about before, but in a nutshell, the vamps are very much alive (in my story, vampirism is caused by a virus). So blood flow isn’t a problem; it’s impotence. The vamps are wired in such a way that their only carnal desire is to kill, and the thought of sex is no longer arousing.

Of course, it’s my universe so I can make up any justification that I want. My reason for not including romance/sex as a writer is because I’m completely unromantic myself (I don’t read romance/erotica, can’t remember the last time I celebrated my anniversary, etc), and it would absolutely destroy the tension (in my mind) if the vamps actually did want to have sex. They wouldn’t be dangerous anymore… they’d be sparkly :grimacing:

12 Likes

You said sparkly and all of my desire just shriveled up. “I’m a monster!” Edward whines, as the sun sparkles off of his skin like glittering diamonds. It’s my least favorite fantasy universe and vampires in general aren’t my favorite fictional creature.

Thanks for explaining though (I must’ve missed previous explanations, so sorry if you had to repeat yourself)! I absolutely knew you were aware of the teasing but it was nice to hear the lore/personal reasons behind your choices.

4 Likes

:heart::heart:Thanks for this. Most of the other CoGs are soooo open-ended and massive that I’ve been worried about readers feeling short-changed. :heart::heart:

2 Likes

:rofl: I don’t see the appeal of sparkly vampires either, but that author must be doing something right…

My pleasure! I can talk about this shit all day :wink:

3 Likes

You honestly fuck me up with Paul, he seems so nice but in reality he is as bad as Richard.

4 Likes

Haha, that’s how he gets you :wink: In a lot of ways he’s worse.

4 Likes

That’s actually why I like Rich more, you at least know where you stand with him.

4 Likes

I’d love to show Richard the meaning of the word empathy (gouge his eyes out) dammit

1 Like

Is anyone else plotting with Richard? Can’t wait to see what happens! I am loving this story but I do have a question, will Leonore have to go hunting with Paul again?

1 Like

Haha, you might be able to come close. There’s an achievement for putting one of Rich’s eyes out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Great question. You won’t go hunting with Paul again over the course of this story, but if you wind up with the “become Paul’s minion” ending, you’ll be hunting with him for the rest of your life :wink:

Oh gods, so I’m safe…

Seems like that 86% relationship wasn’t a waste after all, I’m glad.

But I’ve butchered my relationship stat with Rich. It’s below 20 I think?

2 Likes

Between the two vamps, Paul’s the most important relationship stat to keep high. He’s more likely to hurt (or help) you as the story wraps up.

Heck yeah, Team Paul for the win :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Honestly after this update, I grew to like Rich more. His craziness has grown to be very endearing, even if he’s a major dick

(Pun intended, does nobody use Dick as a nickname for Richard anymore?)

4 Likes

It’s funny - in the beginning, everyone seemed to like Paul better. But lately there’s been a big shift in Rich’s favor. Either that, or the Rich fans are just a lot more vocal :stuck_out_tongue: He’s definitely my favorite character to write.

:rofl: How did this never occur to me?

4 Likes

Howdy, I’m back with a minor update:

• General changes:

• Finally swapped out Intelligence for Logic.

• Couple of minor spelling/grammar corrections.

• Epilogues are now available via the stats page (in the future, I’ll lock them depending on whether you’ve scored the achievement). WARNING: THESE CONTAIN SPOILERS, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK. So far, however, the only ones completed are:

• Iris (Death #1: The Martyr)

• Fair Compensation (Death #2: Collateral Damage)

• Final Arrangements (Death #3: Dirty Laundry)

• Uncle Rich’s Dungeon (Happy Ending #5: Frenemies)

• Chapter 8 changes:

• I’ve reworked the plotting scene to feature a more enthusiastic/reluctant MC, depending on whether you actually want to poison Charles. Please let me know if you think it’s reading better (or worse).

• Sabotaging the plan is now only available if you don’t want to kill Charles, and it’s now associated with an Honesty stat check (vs Humanity).

• Added the silver achievements to chapter 8 - sorry those weren’t there before :stuck_out_tongue:

• This has been there for a few days now, but I added Victoriya’s deduction cap dialog suggestion. (And made a note to give credit for the line in the final release.)

• Chapter 7b changes:

• I had to make a minor change in 7b to keep track of whether you really want to kill Charles. Sorry for any inconvenience. The quickstart is going to assume you’re on board, though, if you start with chapter 8.
7 Likes