Donor: A Vampire Victim's Tale [GAME RELEASED!]

Take your time. At this point I’m just glad I was able to reach the end of Chapter 7. And frankly, Charles just made it easy for me to decide whether or not to follow your little "suggestion:

Honestly, if he had just gotten the Supplement like he said he would, I would still be tearing myself apart on whether I should or shouldn’t. Now, because of his actions I’m definitely going to!

Also, I was just joking when I called Rich a perv.

3 Likes

@cookiemonsta @VioletHikari

The game’s been updated to use a lower modifier value, and I’ve also added a “hint” with some instructions. Here’s what’s going on:

Every time that you ask Richard a question or disagree with him (say something he wouldn’t want to hear) he becomes irritated. Every time that you agree with Richard or smoke a cigarette (also staring at the ground) he will grow bored. But it’s a little more complicated than that…

As in real life, Richard will become more bored or irritated if you lump boring/irritating choices on top of one another. So when you select an irritating choice, the irritating modifier doubles. If you ask Richard a question, for example, that’s a penalty of 10. Then if you follow that question with a disagreement, the modifier changes to 20.

How do you get the modifer back down? Do something boring. Every time that you do something boring, the “irritating” modifier goes back down to nearly what it was (modifier/1.9).

Bleh. The game was supposed to be mildly frustrating, but ultimately satisfying to complete. If folks just find it plain annoying, though, I’ll take it out and replace it with something a little more straightforward. Hopefully the hint I added will help.

Thank you both so much for your feedback!!!

6 Likes

Lol, to me his eyeball fetish is so much worse :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

…honestly I almost forgot about that :sweat_smile:! I was actually wondering why he kept Lenore’s eyes after having the rest of her buried after she (and by “she” I mean “I”) failed to keep him entertained in the Laundry Room :thinking:. At least he waited until she was dead before he took them out :smile:.

I’ll admit that it was more than just “mildly frustrating”, the mini game. But once I beat it, it was definitely worth it! And hopefully the hints will make it easier for others to play too. However, my biggest complaint about the mini game is that (for my playthrough) I had to choose every one of the available choices/questions/options, and balance it so that he wasn’t too bored or too irritated. The balancing act wasn’t the frustrating part for me, it was that I had to keep it up for so “long” before the option to end it finally came along. In short, even though the mini game itself was slightly frustrating, it was worth it when I (finally) beat it :grin:

2 Likes

Is his eyeball fetish something he just develops over the years? I imagine the the display case is full of them lol

2 Likes

I wanted you to feel like the main character! Poor Lenore has to keep that conversation up for over an hour :tired_face:

4 Likes

@PisceanLover Yeah, the idea is that Rich is bored of killing people, and he’s going to great lengths to keep himself entertained.

Would you believe I went back and forth on whether there should be a description of more eyeballs in the display case? I ultimately decided to just mention Lenore’s being there, however, because by Chapter 7 she’s officially Rich’s “favorite” pet, and I didn’t want to detract from her standing. I guess she should be flattered? :grimacing:

10 Likes

At least we got a nice coffin :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

This story just keeps getting more interesting. I am definitely going to buy this when it becomes available. You have done a wonderful job.

4 Likes

@Checkmate

Aww that is really sweet of you :blush: Honestly, your feedback is so much more valuable than a purchase (that goes for everyone here, btw). Thanks so much for the encouragement :heart:

1 Like

With the hint, it took me three tries to successfully pass the mini game, so it definitely helped me out!

Also, you said the vampires are asexual, but are they aromantic too? They certainly seem so - and they’re sociopathic (I think that’s the right one) so I’m reminded at just the right moment why I wouldn’t pursue either of them :joy: - but I’m asking because Rich had a wife. Ultimately, his feelings couldn’t overcome his hunger, but I was just wondering!

3 Likes

Your welcome. You are a very talented writer. I play a lot of these games and I enjoy them but there have been only a few that had me feeling like I was really there and felt the characters emotions and this is one of them thank you so much for sharing this with us. Elena_H

1 Like

I’ve only seen the scene after you added the hint, but I found the difficulty fine. (I didn’t die.) It’s actually a good way to get you more invested in the scene rather than just asking more questions like in the bedroom earlier. Like it :slight_smile:

Found a typo near the end
We need to get back down there. Rich has sent me about fifteen text."
*texts

5 Likes

Touché, I really didn’t think of it that way :thinking:

1 Like

@Elena_H Will there be more “tests” like this with hints? If there is, maybe have an option at the start (or in the stats menu) to turn hints on or off?

Something like:

*if (hints = "on")
   Hint text here.

That way if hints are “off” the hints will remain hidden. (If it’s just for the one section though, it probably doesn’t matter.)

*edit sorry just finished writing a post about spoilers. I meant hints :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@LauraSikdar - Oooh great questions.

Aromantic? - Hmm, in the novel I never get too much into Richard’s backstory, but I like to think he was married before he was turned, and I imagine he loved his wife very much both before and after. As far as entertaining new romances, however… :thinking: I hate to sound shallow, but I’m just not sure how that would work without sex. I guess the simple answer is that the vamps are capable of love, just the platonic kind.

Sociopathic? - Yes, that’s the right one. These characters have an inner circle that they care about, and the rest of the world amounts to food/entertainment.

5 Likes

@Jacic Thanks! I’ll correct the typo.

And if you ever want to incorporate a mini game like this in one of your own stories, hit me up and I’ll send you the code. :smiley:

1 Like

Possibly - I added the mini-game on a whim :stuck_out_tongue: Now that I’ve successfully incorporated one, though, there’s a very good chance I’ll add more (might even revisit dinner theater, but after the first draft is complete).

That’s an awesome suggestion. I was also thinking about only displaying hints after the player dies 3 times. Gonna play around with it a little… Thank you!

2 Likes

For the record, I succeeded in the mini game on my second try. So I do not have a problem with the difficulty. Also looking forward to the next steps! I wonder if you can stay alive without being a terrible human XD.

1 Like

I sort of see Paul and Lenore reletionship to be a platonic reletionship in a really screwed up twisted way, but that’s just my opinion. I could also sort of see there reletionship being a sibling like reletionship like what I see Paul and Charles having what do you see if you don’t mind me asking.

1 Like