Do you like writing on paper?

I’ve recently been writing a lot in school, because that is the only time I am free enough to spend a prolonged period of time writing out my game. Some classes won’t let me use my phone, so I have to revert to using pen and paper.

Now that I have time at home I’ve come to realize it’s actually harder for me to write on my phone than I paper. I find that I prefer the feeling of writing on the paper and the really nice gel pens sliding over the lines. I bought a really nice leather bound note book just because.

It is just me? Do other people enjoy writing on paper more than writing on your electronic devices?

(I do transfer it, just in case it gets lost.)

Easier to write by hand than via a computer?

I make my students in several classes leave all devices in their bags because I’m such an anti-device guy, and because using technology in a Tolkien class or an Old English class feels strange to me.

I’m all about writing in a notebook. I was on the train platform this morning writing some thoughts down with my green pen (Pilot G-2–the best!) and a worker said “What’s the poem about?”

And my reaction time to unexpected stimuli is so slow that I said, “What?”

And he said, “What’s the poem about.”

And I said, “The poem?”

And he said, “The poem that you’re writing.”

I said, “Oh, it’s not a poem, it’s stuff for work.”

And he said, “I thought it was a poem.”

It was the least interesting conversation ever.

And yet I would have watched it. :joy:

Shouldn’t you be making them all use quills, then? :stuck_out_tongue:

Quills! That’s crazy technology. I make them carve runes in stone.

I can’t not take notes on paper. Trying to imagine taking notes on a phone just makes me incredibly anxious, how would I get things down fast enough, how could I use them to write papers or study, and where’s the character without doodles in the margins?

It’s funny: I type much faster than I write with pen and paper, thanks to my high school typing class…

…where I learned to type on a TYPEWRITER…

But raw speed seems so much less important than the fun of forming letters on paper.

Oh god, the horror. My teenage self doth tremble in fear at the typewriter. Perhaps not that degree of “lack-of-tech”.

Even worse! I’ve had professors tell me horror stories about editing typewritten work, or adding citations and references. I am usually faster with paper though, and it’s always had more utility for me too. I like being able to spread out my work, being able to go in and make additions or edits without a hassle, and not having to worry about random crashes or power outages…

I didn’t care for it at the time either. I found it annoying, and I always had a computer in my house, even in the eighties, when there wasn’t much to do with one. But my school retains its typewriters for the keyboarding class.

I like the look on people’s faces when I flip through my notebook. They are so bewildered at the full ,like, 100 pages of just writing. So satisfying.

… I like quills and would love to write with one but, alas, they’re kind of expensive. Plus periodically buying ink and the occasional tip. ChaeyAhne from DeviantArt has the most amazing quills I’ve ever seen… T-T

I dare one of you to write on public with a quill! I would love to see the expression on people’s faces. XD

I always take notes by hand because I retain the information better. Typing doesn’t engage my memory the same way.

It’s also better for me if I’m working on something because I can see my thought process. Where I crossed something out and replaced it, or where I started over and why.

I used to like taking down notes in school…until I entered college. Dictation sucks when the teacher likes to fuck with the students by switching to French and Spanish in the middle of the lecture, then back to English and Filipino like nothing happened. Powerpoint presentations suck when the teacher barely even flashes the slides on screen, and does not send a softcopy to the class.

Also, most professors don’t allow cellphones and laptops in class, so strictly pen and paper notes only. Creative students secretly record the lecture instead (video or audio), and then transcribe the thing back home.

(I can’t imagine how lectures were in the olden days…)

As for writing-writing, I loathe using pen and paper. I tend to shorthand when it;s not school-related, and even I can’t understand a thing I wrote. So, strictly typing for me, but I do still keep a notebook with me at all times, usually for drawing purposes.

cheeky French accent Ahohohohoho! I will buy a quill and amaze the peasant masses.

:scream: I hope I don’t get any of those teachers! All the ones my older friends have had are actually pretty chill, and I feel it’s the modern era, so PC notes would be best. But just for writing purposes I like my paper.

I did use a quill to write publicly, once, in a tight spot (disaster zone). And ash ink. People did stare and otherwise make interesting faces, you’re right.

I like to type to take notes, only because I’ve played secretary so often that I don’t like taking dictation with a pen and then typing the results for distribution. The exception is if I’m practising a new alphabet.

I do prefer to take paper notes for my writing. I like to be able to look at my paper notes when I’m typing things on the screen, or to look back on earlier notes and see what I’ve scribbled out or otherwise changed.

First drafts, too, even in ChoiceScript sometimes—something about writing first drafts on paper feels more real to me, even though I know that’s perfectly illogical. The smell of paper is what does it, perhaps. Besides, my prose comes out a bit less blathery when I rewrite whilst transcribing from paper notes.

I personally like to write notes using my trusted paper and fountain pen :pen_fountain: After that I’ll type my note into a digital copy.

Sometimes typing feels so disconnected from the art. Then again I always write in cursive and learned calligraphy.

I spent more time writing my own stories on paper than taking notes. (well actually they were lengthy descriptions of races monsters mechs machines and demons as opposed to anything with a plot) teacher didn’t know any better aced the tests didnt do projects.

But the FEEL of pencil and texture of paper has this flow to it. No too mention when you’re done you’ve got these pages of work that you can hold in you hand and know you crafted those words. It’s like holding a book compared to an e-reader.

So, I have developed a bit of a hate for writing on paper, I don’t mind it but… I also hate it? (For an illogical reason so I just kinda tell myself ‘no, chill, it’s not that bad’). It’s also the only way I take notes or do any writing that isn’t creative.

I blame APs.

When I was in AP Lit my teacher always stressed having a strong hand/fast writing speed because he saw so many people get bad grades because they couldn’t write fast enough.
He stressed this so much that I became deathly afraid that I wouldn’t be able to write fast enough. So I wrote everything on paper. All my notes, all my stories, everything was on paper, paper, paper. (I bought more blank notebooks that year then I ever did before). And I still never thought I was fast enough…

Then comes the AP test, gotta write three essays, each one is forty minutes and…
I write five pages for the first, six pages for the second, and by the time the third came around my hand hurt like hell but I wrote another five pages still. (Granted my handwriting is also rather large, and was pretty illegible because of how fast I was writing.)

Now whenever I write on paper my subconscious reacts with that stressed out alarm system that I’m running out of time and/or just not going fast enough.

But I’ve also gotten pretty good at it and like @Snoe said, I’m the same in that I prefer the feel of paper. (Especially when reading, but writing, too… Although there is something relaxing about the clicking of a keyboard to me). So I don’t mind it? But it stresses me out (illogically, I know) so I’ll go for the computer if available.