Do video games have a true meaning?

Do video games have a true meaning? Apart from the Choice script games, I think they may not have a true meaning. Take Fortnite, for example. To begin with, it was a game that people liked and enjoyed. But now, by looking at YouTube, it has just turned into a competition about how many wins you have. That has added a new item to the list of meanings video games may have. I personally think that video games are designed for a fun distraction from the real world that is used for entertainment purposes. What do you think? Let me know with a reply on this topic!

Video games have only one true meaning… To sell as many loot boxes as possible! :yum:

Another way that developers have taken video games out of context, they first made them so other people can enjoy them, but now, they are made just for profit. My vision for a video game is that it should be fun, but without the reason to pay for things EG: loot boxes/crates.

Sorry but what is video games’ “true meaning”?

I mean considering that I have to ask I assume there is no real true meaning but just personal meanings, but anyway tell me yours, then I may can answer.

(Is it enjoyment? Because that is a very subjective metric…)

Detroit released. Vampyr released. More nice games will be released. It’s not so bad, really.

So basically, I think that the true meaning of video games is not as simple as something as let’s say, Christmas. To explain my reasoning fully, I would have to travel back hundreds of years to when board games were first invented. Board games were invented (most likely) as a distraction from everyday life. Technological advancements then spawned video games. Final verdict: they have the same meaning as board games, but have become a modern trend, unlike board games, that are sitting back and wondering what happened :slight_smile:.

To have fun?

There’s no “true” meaning in video games, other people have a different way of interacting with them and you probably just don’t like it.

Feel free to give your verdict on the matter.

…that’s a very great pseudophilosophical no-answer.

And you leave me as smart as I was before. -_-

So no, I guess not, they didn’t lose their meaning.

Also, thanks for the idea for the name change.

Several games, whilst mostly being for entertainment, have some clear messages to convey and can be related to real life. Though of course, the keyword being several. Video games are there just for fun, I’d say.

I have only noticed this just now, but I have a funny feeling that this might turn into a debating battleground…

I think to have a productive discussion of this, you have to define what you mean by video games’ “true meaning.” Do you mean an objective, universal purpose that we can all agree on? Because if that’s so, then no, I don’t think video games have a “true meaning,”–but neither does anything else. Nothing is designed for any one single purpose, and their meaning will change from person to person.

Their meaning will be “true” to whoever finds meaning in them. If the meaning of video games is to win a competition to one person, then that’s their true meaning to that person. If the meaning of video games is to serve as a medium of art–to express a story or an experience–then that meaning is true to someone who views them that way.

Also, off-topic, but I don’t think Christmas is simple at all. You would similarly have to go back and look at its pagan roots in Saturnalia to fully explore the concept of “Christmas.” :slight_smile:

I suppose the argument a lot of people make is that, “Video games used to be made to entertain people. Now they’re just trying to make as much money as possible.” Which is kind of true and kind of not. Video games were always designed to make as much money as possible. The reason that companies invested in developing extremely well made and enjoyable games, is because they assumed that people wouldn’t pay money for a game that wasn’t enjoyable… Unfortunately, consumers have proven that theory very, very wrong. :yum:

True.

Also what I mean by true meaning, I mean the reason they were invented at all. Also, I think the answer lies somewhere within the origins of board games.

A very logical assumption.

wpid-spock-live-long-and-prosper-61544348099

Depends on the game, and what exactly you mean. :thinking:

The game To The Moon has meaning, both in it’s storytelling and emotions it drags out of you.
I think as long as a game gives you something through playing it, it has meaning, even if the game itself might not.
A game might give you entertainment, fulfillment, anger, and/or feelings, each of which does give it some form of meaning.

What happened to Fortnite is very typical. Once a game went ‘mainstream’ people latch on to make money off of it. It got competitive. It got ridiculous. I don’t think that mean it necessarily lost its ‘true meanings’. ‘People making money off games’ is just inevitable, but that does not mean the purpose of the game is lost. Although a lot of people are taking it competitively now, there are still people who like it and enjoy it. Casually and whatnot. So if its true meaning was to serve for entertainment purposes, Fortnite still serve that purpose for a lot of people. For example, people who play Fortnite Save the World. (Where ‘how many wins you have’ isn’t the focus.)

As for loot box and crates, those are another topic entirely imo.

I would make a new topic on those subjects, but in the end, COG might merge them.

Also, I suppose Minecraft is not jumping on the boat entitled ‘Common gaming industry trends’

Got to go now, I might stop by tomorrow.

I have always considered video games to have multiple purposes. The first of which is an art form…a way of telling an interactive story (like a movie, but you can actually take part in), the others are for fun, to pass the time, or if you want to play something challenging.) People can play games to relax, find intellectual stimulation, or even socialize with friends. It really depends on the player.

As for Fortnite…the free to play or freemium model seems to be becoming the industry standard. I mean with people buying expensive skins and other virtual goods, it is a bit of a gold mine for developers. As long as they don’t go too overboard or make it that you can replace skill with money by upgrading items, I am usually OK with it. Pay if you really want to. Personally, I like playing PUBG more as it seems a bit more realistic, but the building mechanics in fortnite make it really unique. Probably shouldn’t have brought up PUBG…they and Fortnite don’t have the best relationship at the moment, regardless similiar games, but somewhat different audiences.