Discrimination and Escapism in Interactive Fiction

Sorry about that, @Eiwynn could you dump those posts starting with mine a bit above this one into their own thread, pretty please?

The usual superhumans, particularly as a group as depicted in most superhero stories would be more than strong enough to do it. Of course, yes, you are probably going to have some superhuman failures either through their own stupidity or because they did not luck out and have useless “powers” that can occasionally make them targets for discrimination or targets of rage and frustration from even the more hateful normal bullies.
Anyway, like that article I linked noted, it would not just be superhumans as who support the superhumans if their abilities are or become indespensible to corporate bottom lines then in the modern USA corporate lobbyists and their super-pacs would pick up the slack in no time.
Again, yes, I can see how there might be some “loser” superhumans who either cannot, will not or simply don’t have any useful abilities to leverage, but that does not seem to be true for the vast majority of them in most cases.
Still even then the most likely people to bully them, as long as they are otherwise normal looking humans, would be other superhumans.

As this is specifically about superhumans I think it warrants its own thread, so as to not confuse it with the very real forms of pervasive discrimination all too extant.

Also very much this, I don’t feel superhumans are any sort of useful stand in for such things as anti-gay discrimination any longer. This is no longer the 40’s and 50’s folks the Hays Code is well and truly dead even in Trump’s 'Murica. :unamused:

3 Likes