Demo test please - Victory Wrestling Federation: Lord of the Ring

My intention is to produce a series of sports related games. Football (I’ll assume you mean Football and not American Football) has a huge amount of variables, making coding a ‘simple but fun’ game awkward. It’s a project I’d like to tackle at some stage but think I need a lot more coding experience before I get that far.

Next on my list is a Golf sim. But I need to get this finished before starting on something new.

@Havenstone i really thing this could be a good game thats the reason im critical. If i have a little explication of lore and movements maybe a little info tutorial i gladly enjoy the game

@ Marajade: you may have missed this earlier post. As you’ll see, I’ve noted your issues and intend to address them.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out by play-testing the first demo. From this feedback I intend to make the following changes.

Make the characters more user-definable.

Introduce ‘kayfabe’ (heel/face or good/bad metre in the stats)

Sharpen up the story - short snappy scenes, better grammar.

Have metric and imperial figures for height and weight.

Make the initial fight harder to win.

Make the whole game longer (now you’ll get a 1 month contract with 6 fights and the 3 rounds of the Lord of the ring tournament - 10 fights in total.

Introduce descriptions for wrestling moves.

Have a wider range in the NPC wrestlers statistics.

Oh sorry damn iphone, dont see upper post :-t forget me i try new demo i hope i learn something about westling

No problem, hopefully it’ll be ready sometime next week.

plz make a soccer aka football game plzplz plz i would really love it

Ok so its a good game pretty good witing too but just not my type of story but succes

@AKNel1 by football do you mean American football or soccer? Im american so i call it soccer so i get confused when people say football and mean soccer… although i despise sports, awaste of time in my opinion, i only like soccer, karate, yes its a sport, and wrestling, more so wrestling and karate than soccer though

Football = Soccer

Although I like American Football, which is much more stats driven and would perhaps be easier to code.

Anyway they are both a long way down the pipeline

y u no make soccer game X( me hate u X(

OK, demo version mk II for everyone’s perusal. I’m quite happy with the ‘feel’ of the game but would appreciate everyone’s feedback on the following.

1. Game experience
  2. Bugs/glitches
  3. Grammatical errors
  4. Storyline
  5. Fight scenes

Ooops

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/122716211/dfabulich-choicescript-592718a/dfabulich-choicescript-592718a/web/mygame/index.html

1. It was pretty nice - Not amazing though.
  2. I think there was some Punctuation and Spelling mistakes.
  3. In the beginning near the first page when you chose your dad put you in Wrestling to Protect yourself, I’m pretty sure that you re is “You’re”.
  4. A bit bland.
  5. A Nice addition!

After playing the demo, I think the actually wrestling scenes seem a bit disconnected if thats the right word.

You choose a move then your either doing well or doing bad it switches too fast to get into the game. I’d prefer a more fluid approach to the matches.

Other than that its a good start.

I keep getting an error that says tabs and spaces appear on the same line. It happened two times and then I tried it again with a different option and it worked. But when I tried to play again the same error showed up.

Do you remember which wrestler you were fighting and what move you tried.

Thanks for reporting.

Against the golfer, I decided to be patient, then use a bear hug. It progresses to the finishing moves part, but there are no options so I can’t continue.

From what I’ve seen so far, this could be a fun diversion. The writing is decent (though as others have pointed out some grammar checks wouldn’t go amiss - in particular I’m not sure why father is always capitalised) and I do like the premise.

If I had one criticism, it’d be how you’re told you can’t wait to get out of this town and fulfil your ambition as a wrestler…up until that point, because I’d trained in martial arts there was more of an air of scepticism around being a wrestler (i.e. I had to be convinced to take part) which is suddenly discarded. I also chose to participate because of the more noble route (fix up community centre) and again that’s kind of discarded. I know it’s more work, but if you give people choices try and make sure they’re acknowledged later or at least don’t ignore them.

Good work so far though, keep it up.

_GRAMMAR MISTAKES
"Before we get started lets discuss a few things about your self. Lets start with something simple. What’s your name " Should be “yourself”, “Let’s” and there should be a question mark at the end of "What’s your name ".

"Alex That’s a cool name. " should be “Alex. That’s a cool name.” or “Alex’s a cool name.” or just “That’s a cool name.” (I think).

"Right that’s sorted, do you want to use that as your wrestling name. " should have a question mark at the end and the first part (“Right that’s sorted”) needs to be rephrased.

"Great lets hear it then " should be “Great, let’s hear it then.”. And then comes this sentence "OK, what are you going to be called then. " which should be “OK, what are you going to be called then?” (still, that “then” seems like an upsetting repetition).

"Alex how old are you " should have a question mark at the end and a comma after “Alex”.

“Really !, you look so much older.” should probably be “Really? You look so much older.”.

“Anyway you look pretty tall, roughly how tall though” with a question mark at the end.

There are several other questions/sentences that miss a question mark/period at the end so I’ll not mention more of those.

"Does the success of this manouevre rely on " should be “On what does the success of this maneuvre rely on?” (if I spelled maneuvre right).

There may be more mistakes, but these are the only ones I saw at the customization part.

"whats the plan of attack {name} " A typo with the and the {.
_____END OF GRAMMAR MISTAKES

Grammar mistakes aside, I’ll tell my opinion about the game. It’s nice that everything I could do (i.e. all the choices) was described (the wrestling moves, your possible activities before the match, the trainer you’d pick once winning etc.), every choice seeming equally interesting to the other this way. While this seems like a good idea (describing everything), some players might be put off by the “wall of text” in some zones. If not for the grammar mistakes, it would seem like a well-done game so far, both for those interested in wrestling and for those that aren’t (like I am).

Also, the fact that when a scene was loading, there was some text displayed that I could read until the next scene fully loaded was nice (didn’t keep me waiting for the scenes to load).

I do agree though with @Nocturnal_Stillness about the wrestling moves. And then comes the fact that there’s no stats button. Sure, it’s immersive, but you’re not asked on which attributes you’re specialized on, you’re not told how many attributes are there and neither are you told which moves use which attributes (except your own moves, which you choose yourself), which can make it seem only based on luck when you pick the wrestling moves.

And I did recieve the error @MusicLover did in some of my playthroughs though.

@AKNel1 Just a quick note on that error you’re having, where in some of your files you’ve mixed spaces and tabs when indenting (you can use either, but never both in the exact same .txt file). Depending on which text editor you’re using, the easiest way to find these is to toggle a particular setting, e.g. in TextPad it’s View–Visible Spaces and in Notepad++ it’s View–Show Symbol–Show White Spaces.

Generally speaking, it’s best to adjust the properties of Tab to set the required number of spaces per indentation level (2, 4, whatever, from the default of 8), and always use one Tab press for indenting rather than your space bar.

Thanks for all the comments.

@bawpie - I’ll check the friendly golfer route you described for errors. The stories at the moment are just at the ‘little acorns’ stage and will branch out further as the story develops. With the option you’ve pointed out, I’ll have a look and reword it, to make it ‘fit’ better.

@Alex - I will rewrite the first few pages implementing your points. I removed the stats screen at the moment as it needs to be tidied up drastically (I have about 30 stats/variables in there) most of which are non essential to the reader.

Is their a way I can show the stats I want shown and hide the remainder?

I’ll have another look at the fight scenes and try to tighten them up. I am wary of making the fights too long. My idea is that you should have a ‘beginning’, a ‘middle’ and then an ‘end game’. The first two parts dictate how many chances you will get to win the fight. If you perform well in rounds one and two, you will get three chances to win the fight.

However, if you choose badly, you’ll end up with just one chance to win the fight. The easier you win the fights will dictate how high you climb in the rankings and whether you get a shot at the world title, national title or no title at all. So, you have more than one objective in the game - become Lord of the ring, become world champion and complete your story. This should hopefully increase the replay value of the game.

As you go through the game you will discover that what works against one wrestler will not work against another. So you shouldn’t be able to continually use the same moves in every match.

@vendetta - I’m sure I read somewhere that you can run a program which will check all the coding and report any errors. Have I imagined that?

Thanks again for all the help, it’s invaluable and (imho) has vastly improved the game already.