Demo for Outbreak Infected

This is my favourite kind of story. So looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Spooky :anguished:

1 Like

Sounds interesting

1 Like

Hey, I want to say that this WIP pique my interest :slightly_smiling_face:. I always like to play as sentient undead, so the premise that let me play as one, especially in modern setting, really caught my attention. The profession choices are also interesting, and even though Doctor isn’t going to be my first choice when other profession comes up, I do like the opening, especially nearing the end where you can stand your ground and try your best to save other with your limited living time. That is a really badass moment :grin:, and I hope we can do same kind of choice in other profession.

5 Likes

Hey there! I’m glad you liked the WIP. Although the other careers will have varying choices, I intend for each route to have at least one opportunity to sacrifice yourself for the good of others, along with less heroic choices to sacrifice people so that you can survive. My goal is for players to have the option to behave however they want to, even going so far as to be the villain if that’s what they want to play, so there’ll be plenty of good, bad, and neutral choices for you regardless of what profession you end up playing with in the finished product.

15 Likes

I already invested to this story and I can’t wait to read more of this, good work author :grin:

2 Likes

Good being the good guy in these wips can get boring so it’s nice having a grey area as well as the dark side

1 Like

I like it so far! I was wondering what your thoughts were for romance? Ranging from zero romance to romance being a key feature

1 Like

Well, taking into account the history of the zombie concept in slavery and now more related to the low automatic instincts of the modern zombie, I can only say one thing for this story told by Friederich Nietzsche:

“Who fights with monsters take care not to become a monster. When you look at an abyss for a long time, it also looks inside you”

This phrase has many interpretations but I think it is suitable for an MC who is a thinking zombie.

3 Likes

I’d say romance is five on a scale of one to ten. It’s not necessary, but it adds flavor to the game if players choose to pursue it. There will be multiple characters for you to romance ranging from single dads to leaders of a bandit gang, and what counts as “romantic” will vary based on which RO you pick.

6 Likes

I don’t know about you but this day I was watching a video about the German assault on Fort Ozowiec (During the First World War) better known as the battle of the dead men. An event that the magnificent press for the heroic and gloomy of this event. And this made me wonder if something like this could not happen in a zombie apocalypse (When fights happen between groups that the MC supports and the enemies of him)

It would be a heroic event for the MC but at the same time disturbing what could happen in such a fight.

2 Likes

Hello ! In your last update, there is an error

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll fix that right away
Edit: I’m pretty sure the issue is resolved

4 Likes

It is, yes ! Thank you ^^

2 Likes

Congratulations on the update :blush:

3 Likes

Some things have changed since I last responded to you. I’d like to amend my previous response and note that at least one RO will be infected like the MC/player is, and that there will be minor mutations across the infected population.

7 Likes

Ooo, love the update!

I found a couple of errors, and it doesn’t seem like anyone else mentioned them. The first is that (as the doctor), going back to save Janice results in a loop, bringing the reader back to the beginning of the scene. I was forced to ditch her T^T
It also gave me the ‘not bitten’ reward, though I had been bitten. My character was bitten in the loop with Janice, so that may have been why, but it also listed my bite marks in the character menu, so I’m not too sure…?
Lastly, there was the scene where the player gets ambushed(?) in their home/bathroom, but then it suddenly cuts to a new scene outside, presumably with the player being a zombie as it details their sudden sun aversion. I take it this may have been intentional? Though the lack of a transition from one scene to the next makes that uncertain.

That being said, I do love the implication! Losing a chunk of your memory during the zombification process, only to ‘wake up’ after a bat to the face and surrounded by corpses was quite the turn-around, and very thrilling! I can’t help but wonder if inspecting the bodies will trigger a hunger-frenzy in the MC? And how they will deal with being a zombie, and all the instincts that come with it? Intelligent zombie characters are one in a million (or a billion, ngl) so I’m very excited to see you writing it!

3 Likes

Hi there! I’m glad you’re enjoying the story, and thank you so much for pointing out the errors. I’ll do my best to get them resolved.

I can’t seem to find the loop. Can you list your choices in order? If you don’t have time for that, copying and pasting one or two sentences from the choice right before the loop begins will also be super helpful.

The “not bitten” achievement was an easy fix. The way I had it coded awarded it to players who reached the house regardless of if they were bitten or not. It’ll be fixed by the next update to only award it to players who weren’t bitten.

The disorienting effect was intentional, but I’ll try to fix the transition and make it seamless. What I’m about to say is a minor spoiler. If you don’t want something to be spoiled, then skip to the next paragraph. Anywho, the MC was pulled out of their house by military personnel and dumped in a corpse pile. You were going to be burnt with the other corpses to cull the spread of infection, but the military was pushed out of the city before they could burn the pile you were in.

Intelligent zombie characters are sort of an underserved niche, especially getting to play as one. Without giving too much away, there will be plenty of instances where the MC will be filled with nearly uncontrollable hunger. Examples that could set this off are: Corpses, being close to survivors or animals, going more than a few hours without eating, seeing other people or zombies eating, and so on and so forth. Having a high willpower stat will help the MC control their urges.

7 Likes

So is our companion going to be like us in the doctors path cos I left them for the zombies

1 Like

Most companions that you leave for dead will probably die. Those who escape will harbor grudges and, should they encounter you, will extremely angry over what you did.

3 Likes