Deez's Common Code Blocks and Writing Advice for Newbies

I don’t know if this already exists. Please just delete this post if it does and let me know.

But these are scripts that I think everyone, in some way, uses in their games. So, to help new people, and for my own sanity, I will post them here so that they can be copied and used in any game to help speed up the process. I’ll also be updating this list with anything I find that is commonplace.

*fake_choice
    #
      *set Gender "boy"
      *set ProRef "him"
      *set ProPos "his"
      *set Pronoun "he"
      *set Child "son"
      *set MisterMissMisses "mister"
    #
      *set Gender "girl"
      *set ProRef "her"
      *set ProPos "hers"
      *set Pronoun "she"
      *set Child "daughter"
      *set MisterMissMisses "miss"

This is paired with these in the startup file to allow a character to select their gender. For me, biological gender can matter at times in my WiPs. So I make a distinction between it and pronouns.

*create Gender "Unknown"
*create ProRef "Unknown"
*create ProPos "Unknown"
*create Pronoun "Unknown"
*create Child "Unknown"
*create Attraction 0
*create Name "Unknown"
*create MisterMissMisses "Unknown"
*create LastName "Unknown"

To display ANY of those variables, just use ${VariableNameHere} and it will work.

*fake_choice
  #
      *set ProRef "him"
      *set ProPos "his"
      *set Pronoun "he"
      *set MisterMissMisses "mister"
  #
      *set ProRef "her"
      *set ProPos "hers"
      *set Pronoun "she"
      *set MisterMissMisses "miss"
  #
      *set ProRef "them"
      *set ProPos "theirs"
      *set Pronoun "they"

With this third block of code, your character’s biological gender is already established. This will establish their pronouns preferred pronouns. I always forget this stage, which is why my initial code has some redundancies that I’ll probably remove later™.

*fake_choice
     #
      *set Attraction 1
     #
      *set Attraction 2
     #
      *set Attraction 3
     #
      *set Attraction 4

The above section is what I use to determine a player’s preferred romance. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve accidentally clicked a romance option for a character that I’m not intending to romance simply because I’m kind of dumb. But this way! You can use a code block that I’ll put down in a minute to wholly and entirely prevent a player from accidentally selecting someone as their chosen romance option.

This isn’t really a necessary piece of code, it’s just nice to have I guess.

Oh and in case you’re wondering…

1 = guys
2 = girls
3 = both
4 = none

… but you can probably swap this, depending on how you prefer to code.

This also helps people that don’t want to have any romance in their stories to not accidentally create one; avoiding annoying restarts if for whatever reason they’re adamantly against romantic options (religion, trauma, etc.)

Do you have any code that you use all the time that you’d like to donate to this list?

This list is mostly aimed at new C-Script users to help speed up the process and primarily because I remember struggling with this code when I first got started. This isn’t to say that this is the right way to code, this is just a way, and it’s a way that definitely works… usually.

… someone smarter than me should probably render assistance.

For setting up romance blockers…

*if (GenderAttraction = 1) or (GenderAttraction = 3)
  #Option

This would be for a character that is either attracted to men, or bisexual. There is no need to include 4 in this code, since not having 4 is enough. Simply change the 1 to 2 if it is for an attraction to a female character.

Examples:

*if (GenderAttraction = 1) or (GenderAttraction = 3)
  #Romance this guy

*if (GenderAttraction = 2) or (GenderAttraction = 3)
  #Romance this girl

Common things to deal with…

WRITER’S BLOCK

The best advice I can give you, and this is a personal anecdote, is to just keep writing. You’ll have to go back and revise what you’ve written but you’re going to have to do that anyways even if you’re inspired when you’re writing.

I personally write for about 2 hours, take a 15 minute break (usually less, I’m just smoking a cigarette) and come back and start pounding out another two hours. I do this usually for about 8 to 12 hours a day when not working my actual job and for about 2 hours a day when I work my primary job. 2 hours may not seem like much but you try working a 14 to 16 hour work day and then pounding out two hours of writing.

Take the time to get perspective. If you just don’t want to write that day, start listening to music or playing a video game or whatever it is that gets your mind free to wander. Inspiration comes from strange places. Whenever I hit writer’s block, I just got smoke a cigarette and let my brain wander. Sometimes it takes two or three but eventually I get through it.

And don’t feel discouraged by the amount of hearts you’re getting or the amount of attention you’re getting. I will tell you firsthand, because I mostly write weird, off the wall shit, that attention is for movie stars and rock bands. My works will be immortalized after I’m dead and long since become maggot food. Even if no one reads them, I will have left a mark on history itself; however large or small. That’s worth fighting for. While feedback is important, it is not the end-all-be-all. I would highly suggest if you need feedback, don’t look for it in your WiP thread but instead seek it out yourself and not just on these forums.

FEEDBACK

Not all feedback is useful. Sorry if you disagree, but some feedback can even be genuinely harmful to your work. People are going to tell you all sorts of things are wrong with what you’re doing. Listen to them, but take it with a grain of salt. Something objectively wrong (grammar, spelling, etc) is easy to swallow as feedback but (I’m bad at examples) something like “oh your work sucks because this NPC is too blonde” or whatever, is subjective. That said, if you do ask for feedback, be prepared for someone to dislike your work. That’s going to happen and there are a billion high and mighty writers out there that couldn’t write a short story if their life depended on it. Still, even if they are not good writers, you can often learn from their feedback and improve your own writing.

Art is not entirely subjective. If it were, we would not have schools that teach it. A painter must learn to use proper techniques with a brush, a cook must learn to prepare their kitchen, and you, a writer, must learn to paint pictures using only words. If your sentences aren’t easily readable, it’s going to push people away from your work. If I just throw paint on a wall and call it art, it’s just modern art. ESPECIALLY observe and listen to objective feedback. It will improve your writing.

GIVING CRITIQUE

In many places, you’re going to have to give a critique in order to receive one. Primarily, I’m referring to places other than COG/HG forums. You don’t want to get bad critique, you don’t want to get pampered and learn nothing. Do not do the same to others.

When giving any critique, I highly suggest using a 3-3-3 ratio. What does that mean?

3 praises - telling a writer what they are doing WELL can encourage them to do that more often. If their sentence structure is immaculate, tell them! No one, and I mean NO ONE, learns anything by just being fed negativity all the time. The majority of people are just going to inevitably tune you out if you’re purely negative. And also, don’t be negative all the time. It’s just unhealthy. Older, experienced writers can probably do without this, but newer writers with less experience should always be praised because THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING RIGHT!

3 neutrals - these are things that may be bad, may be good, may be just a part of the writing style. A theme of a story may not sit well with you. Maybe they’re writing about a pack of dogs that learn to dance like Magic Mike and you dislike it. Offer suggestions, don’t take it personal if they turn them down.

3 negatives - this is probably the most critical part and the hardest. Try to stay objective about your critique. Focus on things that are OBJECTIVELY bad about their writing. I tend to have poor sentence spacing and end up repeating myself in the early stages of my writing. It takes me dozens of editing phases to get it right. However, I will tell you firsthand, I do not care if you dislike my Magic Mike dogs and subjective feedback is going to be largely ignored. I’m likely not going to ever make a lot of money writing. If I thought I would, I wouldn’t work another job.

However, objective feedback (sentence structure, grammar, etc) I will happily take that sort of criticism. Be sure to give objective criticism to everyone you write a critique for. You’re not dissuading them, you are helping them build skills. And no, “creative writing” is not an excuse for poor grammar and bad readability. Anyone who says that just isn’t interested in critique at all and just wants to be praised.

Also, I’m not actually writing about Magic Mike dogs. I just cannot think of what to put as an example. Also I’ve never seen Magic Mike.

RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH!

You’re going to do a lot of research, or should, when you start writing. Do research even if it’s a topic you’re familiar with. You’d be surprised what you can learn. Those details will translate well into your writing.

Most readers probably won’t care, but your more educated readers will know (assuming that your game is supposed to be somewhat serious) if you start talking about engineering and you know nothing about what common parts do. Could they still enjoy the game? Of course! But some of us are kind of jaded and cynical.

That said, you’re not writing a manual. You can, safely, keep your details somewhat vague and still use a few key words to show you know what you’re talking about. It’ll also open up options so you can do even more with less materials.

For example, did you know that you can make capacitors explode by wiring them up in reverse and running a current through them? For most of the smaller capacitors it won’t matter but some of them could, potentially, be used almost like grenades if they’re large enough. Likewise, introducing an arc flash failure into a machine is inherently dangerous, but in a pinch, you can use it as a makeshift bomb and have a character MacGyver their way out of a situation, which lends itself well to games where the main character is not inherently some sort of super commando elite fellow with a million bombs in his backpack.

4 Likes

Thanks for the code! I already have my code but considering your advice later, I now think it’s better then the code I copy and pasted, :smirk:

The person who made the code did say you could copy it. But now i’m thinking of changing it. :laughing:

*create gender "male"
*create he "he"
*create him "him"
*create his "his"
*create man "man"
*create sir "sir"
*create mr "Mr."
*create mc_isfemale false
*create mc_malefemale ""
*create mc_manwoman ""
*create mc_menwomen ""
*create mc_boygirl ""
*create mc_fathermother ""
*create mc_brothersister ""
*create mc_husbandwife ""
*create mc_heshe ""
*create mc_hisher ""
*create mc_himher ""

*label gender       
What's your gender?

*fake_choice
   #Boy
      *set mc_malefemale "male"
      *set mc_manwoman "man"
      *set mc_menwomen "men"
      *set mc_boygirl "boy"
      *set mc_fathermother "father"
      *set mc_brothersister "brother"
      *set mc_husbandwife "husband"
      *set mc_heshe "he"
      *set mc_hisher "his"
      *set mc_himher "him"
   #Girl
      *set mc_isfemale true
      *set mc_malefemale "female"
      *set mc_manwoman "woman"
      *set mc_menwomen "women"
      *set mc_boygirl "girl"
      *set mc_fathermother "mother"
      *set mc_brothersister "sister"
      *set mc_husbandwife "wife"
      *set mc_heshe "she"
      *set mc_hisher "her"
      *set mc_himher "her"

You are a ${mc_boygirl}. If you had a sibling, the sibling would call you ${mc_brothersister}. You go to the bathroom marked $!
1 Like

I use something based on this sample code although these days I use npc_they and npc_plural instead of npc_he and npc_singular, and I have variables for common verbs like $npc_say. When I get round to it, I’ll put up that version as an example too.

4 Likes

Thanks guys. Your assistance is appreciated. Let’s make things easier for the generation of writers that follow.

1 Like