Debate question: What is love?

Part One: What is love? How would you define it? How would you explain it to a child? How would you explain it to a sentient robot?

Part Two: Would life be better without love? Would your life be better without love? (Replies to this part start from post 32)

Love is something that makes you happy even if there is nothing to gain.

Baby don’t hurt me…don’t hurt me…no more.

I’ll be leaving now.

Love is when someone lets you have the last slice of pizza, like @AAO does, deluded cuck that he is.

Love you too, bby. :kissing_heart:

Love is a family resemblance term: people mean different things by it and there is no one core thing that unites all the things, but rather a series of overlapping criteria.

What are those criteria? bell hooks has a good answer on what the ingredients of love are:

Love is a combination of six ingredients: care, commitment, knowledge, responsibility, respect and trust. I found that a lot of people just felt really confused about what love is, so I said, here, take these six ingredients and as you go about your life, you can ask: the action I’m taking, does it have these six ingredients?

One point that I would emphasize to people is that it’s the combination of the six ingredients that make love, because so many of us have one of the ingredients in our life – like we may be deeply cared for, but we may not be in a situation of trust. To me what’s great about these definitions is that they’re just very helpful for people in daily life trying to engage in a practice of love.

Love is part of alive being that quite necessary

Different from each person. Can be annoying, a goal blocker, a home, and a fun

“It’s part of life” that how I going to summarize it

This one is tricky, maybe love is necessary despite all things happen

Sorry if this hard to understand, I not good with explanation

Love is finding your own happiness in the happiness of someone else.

What is Love

https://youtu.be/oBI5LI9_vy8

But in all seriousness, to me love is something that’s almost impossible to explain, like the concept of infinity. You know it’s there, and you know when you feel it, but it’s unexplainable.

Beat me to it.

Love is never having to say you’re sorry. When you fart.

Well my view is probably pretty dark/cynical/pessimistic but I’ll throw it out there anyway :stuck_out_tongue: . I believe love in terms of relationships is a feeling that people invent when they want sex to be something more than a biological function/desire, when they want to feel they’d love that person just as much if they were uglier/poorer etc. I believe love with regards to family is an evolutionary feeling that came about so a parent or other family member is compelled to protect more vunrable family members, particularly children.

What’s love but a second hand emotion :joy:

Joking aside love is that hole in your heart you never knew existed until someone came along and filled it.

That may be, and yet familial love can’t be reduced to its evolutionary role.

Let’s transpose this kind of explanation to a different situation. The serialised novel Great Expectations came about so that Charles Dickens could pay for the upkeep of his household; Dickens could have stolen a Landseer painting and fenced it on the blackmarket for about the same amount. Clearly, writing a novel and fencing a stolen painting are quite different things. An activity (like parental love, writing a novel, stealing a painting) can’t be reduced to its primary cause.

First I have to ask, you didn’t make this topic because of this week episode of Koi to Uso, did you? lol

Well, love is in general, very subjective and there’s many types of love. You can love a family member, you can love a friend, you can love doing something, you can love some object… If you stop to think, maybe those feelings shouldn’t have this same name.
In general, we could describe love as a very strong feeling of liking and caring about something or someone. So, how would I explain it to a child? Maybe “who’s your best friend? Why are they your best friend? Would you care if they were in pain? Do you want to see them happy? That’s love”. But again, it’d totally depend of the child and what kind of love we’re talking about, though I’d always explain this kind of love before the romantic love. As for a robot… It’d always be very hard to explain any feeling for them, because we don’t exactly know if they’d feel like us. If they have a “spirit”, let’s put this way.
But one thing I believe is that, in most cases, things such as unconditional love doesn’t exist. We’ll ALWAYS find parents that don’t love their children, abusive romantic relationships without true love, and etc. I’d say the only unconditional love we can have is from a pet.
And love isn’t the desire for sex or kisses or any of that. It can complement, yes, but it isn’t LOVE itself. I’m so sick and tired of hearing I don’t love my boyfriend because I don’t miss seeing him in person or don’t have sex with him.

Master HK-47 has all the answers. Hilarious and true!

Query: How is there not a book of HK-47’s greatest sayings yet? Easily one of the most entertaining game NPCs of all time.

As an atheist but having grown up in a Christian home I think of this bible verse
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love is leaving a part of your soul in everyone you care about.

Love is a chemical reaction which releases dopamine, serotonin, and adrenaline in the brain making us ‘feel good’ around a person. Therefore I believe “love” can easily be formed and broken apart… Oops that was super depressing and pessimistic.