Dawn of the Rebellion (WIP)

Hi everyone! You may have seen me in the interest check thread a few weeks ago, and I finally have the introductory chapter ready! It’s a little over 78k words in writing and coding so far as my first project using Choicescript.

Dawn of the Rebellion

Morrigan nods knowingly. “The bridge between the Celestial race and the rest of the races grows every day. They say the Crown, more importantly the Queen” their voice drops to a whisper, “created the Rifts for more purposes than to cripple magic-wielding criminals.”

In the great Kingdom of Roma, unease stirs. Ruthless Celestial queen, Queen Melitte, is determined to rule with an iron fist after slaughtering the true decedents of the Lost Gods. A hero must rise to knock Melitte off the throne, unravel the mystery of why the Lost Gods went quiet years before, and perhaps learn the truth of who you really are.

• As the hero, rise to the occasion and strategize to take the throne.
  • Evade or befriend spies, assassins, and mysterious spirits.
  • Wield magical weapons - each with a secret.
  • Romance a variety of characters - ranging from druids and elves to demi-gods. (I’ll be incorporating some delicious tropes. You will also have the option to choose whether you would like to see sexually explicit scenes or not).
  • Travel across multiple provinces, gathering allies and foes alike.

Some more details: The environment is Greco-Romanesque with a mix of magic similar to Faerie/Greek mythology. It’s a heavily character-based story. While skills and abilities are used throughout the game, the story will rely more on you using context clues, relationships, and the world around you for choosing answers rather than just boosting one stat. I want to create a dynamic environment and for you to not have to check your highest stats before every decision, but instead shaping details based on decisions. (There will still be some important pass/fail checks). It will remain a linear main story, with sub-stories branching.

At first, it was an ambitious idea, but I’ve cut it all down into a plan for a series rather than one book. I’ll be adding more information, such as ROs, or FAQ to this post if needed. I’d like to update about every week, but we’ll see how it goes!

DEMO: https://dashingdon.com/go/3754

112 Likes

It sounds great; I’ll review it tonight.

3 Likes

I liked this! Every single character encountered sparkles with their own distinct personality, and I find myself interested in the elf lady… my short term memory is failing me.

I wasn’t sure what duskwalking was when I picked it as my skill in the Guild Inn, and only learned when we chose a weapon; I guess the intended order was to visit the weapon master beforehand?

5 Likes

The preparations can be chosen in any order, but I’ll probably add short descriptions for the skill choices at the guild or just add skill descriptions to the index. Thanks for the comment!

2 Likes

Did I hear someone mention Greek/Roman mythology?

Finally! The last decade of spending hours of to learn centuries of history shall not be in vain!

4 Likes

Lol! I’d decided to incorporate my own original mythology while drawing the “feel” of it from Greek/Roman mythology. I was a Percy Jackson nerd growing up for sure.

3 Likes

Looks interesting so far. Might want to change Morrigan’s name to avoid getting sued by BioWare though… :grin:

2 Likes

This was definitely interesting. You got a lot of strong things going for you and your writing. Certainly piqued my interest. I always do like a story based off real life mythology with some mixture of more modern tastes to create a strong and derivative story. I wish you luck with your writing and may Hermes inspire you.

2 Likes

So good and fun to read! Easy to get lost in and ofc I love Eve! I love the amount of choices you can have during any conversation. I can’t wait for more!

2 Likes

Nah, Morrigan is a name from mythology. Its pretty famous for the Bioware character, but I’d guess its like Arthur, in that its a name who refers to a character who has been imagined and re-imagined through the centuries.

Really enjoying the game so far. I’m noticing some places where quotes aren’t properly paragraph spaced. Not sure if this is intentional but just something to note. Also they’re color of life should perhaps be rewritten to “their color” or “They’re the color”

3 Likes

Aww, thank you!

Ty so much for your support. Also Eveline definitely seems to be a favorite between you and other friends that have read, lol.

Funnily enough, I’ve never played Dragon Age. As @tangerine_skies noted, the name Morrigan is popularly linked to mythology.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention! Unfortunately I haven’t learned all the ins-and-outs of Choicescript, so I’ll soon figure out how to paragraph properly within post-choice dialogue. Also thanks for noting the “they’re the*” typo. Glad you enjoyed!

3 Likes

Hi, it should just be two returns. Hope this helps.

I really liked this. Especially what you did with the unique weapons our mc gets to choose from. Look forward to seeing what they can do in a battle in a future update.

1 Like

Already a huge fan of this one :grin:

1 Like

Great idea and characters! I’m already looking forward to travelling the world and ending up in hilarious situations :blush: