Dawn of Heroes (WIP) (Updated 04/14/24)

On that note then how many chapters or books are you thinking of making the story if you don’t mind me asking. :grin:

This story will be about 28 chapters. I have about 3 to 4 main story plots that I could do. If this does well enough. I’m not sure how many chapters I should demo.

4 Likes

So, I got nearly nothing done this week. Between family and medical issues time was limited and not well used.

12/3 Week’s end update

• Fixed reported gender flip error

Still working on (in no particular order):

• Chapter 9 final route.
  • Alternative Chapter 7 encounter
  • Factory Worker route
  • Chapter 10
  • Custom gadget system
  • Adding more power options/uses to the story
  • Battle text for hidden fight in Chapter 8 CEO route
8 Likes

So I probably should have placed this in my previous post, but I’m not sure if I’m doing it yet. I am thinking of adding a dynamic chapter “filler”. So when a chapter is coming up short due to choices that would end a scene early, it would grab an extra scene from the perspective of another character. This would explore more on villains, story build up, reporter or officer investigations.

I say dynamic because it would not be scenes locked to specific chapters, it would see how many “filler” scenes have been done and move onto the next one automatically. So they always appear in the same order, but not always in the same chapters.

When I say filler, I still want story relevant material, but it would be added when needed and not from the perspective of the main character. Because it will not be the main character, there will be no dialogue choices only Karma choices I’m thinking.

Thoughts?

8 Likes

I definitely like this idea especially using the karma to to influence situations for these fillers. :heart_eyes:

Finally got enough permissions to start updating the initial post! I have been mostly working on the final Chapter 9 route this week. Also have been working on other super powered character concepts. Some villains, some as set up for if I ever make a second story.

12/11 Week’s end update

• Chapter 9 final route.
• Factory Worker route
• Chapter 10
• Custom gadget system

20 Likes

Will all the elements be equal in power or will they cancel each other, earth beats water, water beats fire, fire beats air, air beats lightning, lightning beats earth, and light is on pair with everything?

1 Like

I’m super confused. Who is Rowan O’Reilly? Based on the prologue, that’s me, but then later there’s an option to choose my name? Which means that’s not me? Do I play multiple POVs in this game? Maybe it becomes clearer later, but I was so confused I didn’t want to try to progress further before clarifying that…

EDIT: Ok, after playing with the options, I see the problem. You’ve stated that the initial gender choice selects the main character’s gender. It doesn’t. It selects Rowan O’Reilly’s gender. The main character’s gender is determined by Rowan’s gender preference. Beyond the fact that this makes absolutely no sense at all, it’s definitely not what the help text states.

2 Likes

Well it look like he is a big driving force of dawn of heroes. I do want to see how my CEO and him would meet and it does seem like we are just missing each other.

1 Like

There are no planned mechanical implementations of elements canceling each other. While I do have a fantasy setting planned that has that, with DoH, it is a matter of how the powers are used.

Rowan and the MC have the same gender and sexual preference. By selecting one, the other also gets it. Rowan is an antagonist who is built up dependent on choices that are made by you. It does select the player’s preference, it is just a linked decision. This is why I specified that you were selecting the MC’s gender/sexual preference, while the story was talking about Rowan at the time, the choice effects the main character. I’m sorry for making it confusing.

That is a bit of a running joke I am going with in the CEO route. Things just keep them from meeting each other. Rowen is indeed a driving force of the story, he has a large impact on the fate of the city.

3 Likes

Oh, well… That’s… actually not what happens, so I guess there’s a coding error somewhere. But the coding error is not the reason for the confusion, since I was confused even selecting male for both options. The prologue describing looking at Rowan and the indicator that you are selecting your pronoun and preferences implied to me that I am playing Rowan.

could this rowan o’rielly be our doppleganger

1 Like

So a day early because the holidays will make things too hectic for me to get a post out tomorrow. There was no update last week because nothing had really been updated, even progress was little more than a page of writing. This week I have not gotten much done either due to medical issues.

The night after I created this thread I was hospitalize for four nights, which is why I was not responsive at first and did not have a computer for a few nights. Well I ended up in the ER again this week. Nothing really to be concerned about, none of this is life threatening, just ongoing.

I did take some time to think over other powered NPCs that will be more important in later stories and will make appearances around Chapter 12 or so during the next four-way spit chapter. Mainly their power sets and how it should affect their personality and backgrounds.

12.24 Week’s end update

• Changed wording when choosing gender to better explain that it sets the main character’s gender/sexual preference(s) and O’Rielly’s.

Still working on:

• Chapter 9 final route.
• Factory Worker route
• Chapter 10
• Custom gadget system

17 Likes

Little has been done over the last week, but it I have had time to think over the chapter I’m writing. I am adding an early decision for approach and the choice may lead you to learning more about the hero you are to meet in the chapter. I should probably do something like this for the other heroes. I found this scene just gives an option for more dialogue than the others.

12.31 Week’s end update

• Chapter 9 final route.
• Factory Worker route
• Chapter 10
• Custom gadget system

14 Likes

Progress is being made on the final route of chapter 9. The lack of writing for the last two weeks has put a fire under me and allowed me more time to think over the scene. I am very exited to write about this fourth hero, it’ll just be awhile before we get to the parts I want to explore the most.

This route will still be some time until I am able to add it to the demo unless I get more free time at some point for it.

1.7 Week’s end update

• Chapter 9 final route.
• Factory Worker route
• Chapter 10
• Custom gadget system
• Battle text for hidden fight in Chapter 8 CEO rout

11 Likes

Are the CEO and the IT work romances the same people or different people with the same names?

If you are talking about Kyra, it is the same character. Otherwise Austin/Aurora and Valentin/Valentina are different people. I figured with the two careers taking place in the same building that I might give that romance option. I still am not sure if I will have Kyra be a romance option for the IT route.

1 Like

Hi once again, are there any plans to implement the reflexes stat? I’ve noticed that no battles take the stat into account, the instincts power is taken into account tho, but there’re no checks whatsoever for the reflexes stat, the character always get hit

1 Like

Later fights will end up using reflex. At this point in time the MC is too skilled that you wont notice reflex.

However in combat reflex will not judge if you are or are not hit. It will help judge if your character wins an exchange while on the defense. It becomes Speed vs Reflex (this is a simplified explanation). Speed is used for whomever has the tactical advantage and it is opposed by reflex.

In this case the MC has always had that tactical advantage up until this point so reflex has yet to come into play. I want the MC to feel powerful at first before being actually challenged. Once I do the hidden fight text reflex will have a chance of coming into play for the combat engine.

Outside of combat reflex will be used as you would traditionally expect, it just has not come into play yet.

8 Likes

I thought I would share a section of what I’m working on and my thoughts on a small exchange. I’m working on the final route of the 9th chapter. It is coming out much longer than the other three routes. When trying to review the flow of a conversation I was reminded how complicated giving readers options can be for a conversation when I was reading this part of a conversation.

Juggling between if the MC has hyper hearing, mind reading, and their character flaw in this chapter adds a bunch of little bits here and there.

*if HasHyperHearing
	“With the shop now going to rest, maybe it would be best to head inside that room.” I hear from Breaker’s comm device.

“As far as we can tell there is only one way into that room.” The vigilante says responding to Huginn. “I would prefer to know we have a second escape route if incase one is blocked off.”

*if CharacterFlaw = “Overconfident”
	“I would not worry about an escape being blocked off. I can handle anything in our way.” I say.

Breaker gives me what I’m guessing is a sidelong stare. Those lenses keeping her intent hidden.

*if CharacterFlaw != “Overconfident”
	*if not(HasHyperHearing)
		“Huginn thinks we should go in?” I ask.

Breaker gives a nod in response.

“Hopefully with me providing back up we can prevent any exits from being blocked.” I say.

“I’m not use to having a partner.” Breaker admits. “You being here changes things.”

For those that do not know ChoiceScript, if it is indented that part will only be an option if the *if criteria before it is met. So depending on what powers the MC does or does not have will give this small bit a different feel.

Still it is these very subtle changes that make CYOA games fun, right?

8 Likes