Daemoniacus Altor [Cancelled]

Oh, I didn’t mean that it caused actual pain–but it’s more irritating than anything else, and I think it detracts from the story.

Artor is a cheeky little nut, isn’t it? I like it.

Personally I was rather fond of the original style. It put me in a morbid sense of mind as I read and reminded me a bit of the video game Doom.

If you’re following the typical format of an adventure story what would come next most likely would be a traveling companion. The companion is almost always weaker than the hero and therefore stays close to either learn/help or protection. That can be a hindrance or a blessing in disguise for our hero. Just my two cents there. That said, I’m really interested in where you’ll take this.

Going to check this game out know

I’m loving this game so far. I got totally sucked it. And I like that its gender locked to female. Many games are gender lock to male characters, so to me this make it something original. I love how you have written her, I can really imagine the lady in red. To be fair though I have read some of your other work and you are a fantastic writer so I’m not surprised I enjoyed this so much. Keep up the fantastic work. I cant wait to see where this goes.

Well that’s a bit of a conundrum.
On one hand, having a different style comes with the possibility of alienating players and making it uncomfortable on the eyes to read.
On the other hand, the fact that it’s uncomfortable to read lends to the atmosphere and to the intended feeling that this world is unnatural and something that was never meant to have existed, the world itself is an abomination.

Eh, I guess the concept of a “Dark Souls of Choice Games” was already going to drive some people away. Why not double down!

I can already see it now…
Companions: “Demons ahead!”
MC: “Don’t worry, weak companions. Together we shall-”
Companions: “AHHHHH THEY HAVE MY INSIDES! OH SWEET MERCIFUL GOD, THIS IS SO PAINFUL! WHY WOULD ANYONE WITHOUT MAGIC ARMOR EVER CHOOSE TO FIGHT DEMONS?! AGHAGHAHAH…”
MC: “…Well, I guess I’m single again.”

You know, I keep hearing this, but I can only really name one choice game off the top of my head that’s genderlocked.

Something tells me I’m going to change that name at some point. It always sounded so…generic to my ears.
Eh, I’ll wait for someone else to suggest a better one.

My other work. So…one?
Anyway, thanks for the compliment. It’ll probably help boost my self-esteem until the next time I take a test.

4 Likes

Demon armor is the only companion the Mc needs.

“Did you hear she married her armor?”

“No, no she IS a demon.”

“No, I have the true tale, her village was attacked by demons, and as she lay dying, she heard it call to her…”

Maybe we do need a companion, at least to clear up all the rumors…

I think I can think of maybe three, but two of them I haven’t played and I’m pretty sure they don’t pay attention to your gender.[quote=“Interestedparty, post:27, topic:25159”]
Something tells me I’m going to change that name at some point. It always sounded so…generic to my ears.
Eh, I’ll wait for someone else to suggest a better one.
[/quote]

I’m going to have to play through this again to remember who this lady of war (I’m assuming, with a name like that) is.

1 Like

The Lady in Dusk
The Lady of Hell
The Lady Gone Bad…?
Curse be a lady tonight!

Or it can be skipped and we can just call her Funeral.

1 Like

Grammar

Good news, I was able to find a neat compromise. If you look at the original post, you will see that there is now two links. One for the intended dark and alien aesthetic, and the other for familiar and white aesthetic.
Never let it be said that I am without mercy.

Well, it’s not like it’s human. Most things that demons do will range from “that’s a bit odd” to “HOLY FK! YOU ARE FKED UP! THIS GAME IS F**KED UP!”

Got your errors, btw

I feel like I would be pretty frustrated to be the protagoinst with all these names going around (aside from all the other reasons to feel sorry for her).
You go through literal hell, work to become the most capable human warrior on the planet, give your blood and often your limbs to hunt down the demon spawn that terrorize the world, and all that people can remember is “that knight is a lady!”

Also, Funeral sounds like a superhero.

@DUNGEON_MASTER
I got you.

And finally the main reasons I decided to write this message. I decided to do a little update, though it’s far from complete. In fact, those of you not interested in being a tester should probably ignore it entirely.
Anyone wanting to test things, or to just see the new content without jumping through choices, you can look at the game’s code through here:
dashingdon.com/play/interestedparty/daemoniacus-altor/mygame/scenes

To those who want to see the text in game, remember the following phrases.
Group house.
What about the woman?
Board up the windows.
Don’t clear the room.
Hide behind the table.

Also, added the nifty little save system.
It’s not staying. It’s just there for if someone chooses a choice and it turns out to lead to nothing, and they’d rather not go all the way to the beginning of the game. I do implore readers to not use it to cheat and undo bad choices.
It will absolutely be removed once the scene is finished and working properly.

3 Likes

The mini update looks good. Very exciting!

Just a couple grammar errors:

[details=Summary][*]There’s also the furneture that’s scattered all over the place. Tables and chairs, things to trip over and get distracted by.

[*]The last entry point. Without this they’ll have no way in other than to bash repeatedly against the barricades, giving You areple time to prepare and pick away at their numbers.

[*]There’s satisfaction in the screech the creature lets out as your blade stabs through its head. It lies limp on the edge of your blade, only falling once you wreth your arm back, letting the blood fly into the room.[/details]
Not quite sure what the last word was supposed to be. :sweat:

I’ve probably gone through it about 5 times and can’t seem to reach the ‘Hide behind the table’ prompt you mentioned. Perhaps I did it wrong. There also seems to an error with the save and loading feature. Can anybody else access it? Just want to see if it is on my end or not.

1 Like

Right, I think I found out the problem there. Should work now.

No idea what might be wrong with the save feature though. Which version are you using?

@Interestedparty
Bug, under the option:
“Kill the filth”.

2-village line 531: Non-existent command ‘choose’

I’m guessing it’s “furniture,” “ample,” and “wrench.”

No worries; got it to work! I cleared my cache and I think that was the problem. :slight_smile:

After about a month of working on my other story, I decided to come back and do a bit of work with the ridiculously long fight scene that I was insane enough to try to wright.
Managed to get done with one (about about 20 or so) branch! That makes 2 full (sub)branches done!

For those of you who want to try them. then in order to reach the start you’ll need to:
Go to the group house.
Ask “hey, what’s with that naked dead lady over there?”
Choose to board up both windows.
One of the options is restricted to those who went with a greatsword, and the other is restricted to those who chose to rearrange the furniture. They’ll be marked with [this one works].

So that’s how you get to the beginning of a fight that will actually work. If anyone decides to play through them, let me know if you manage to beat it in one try. That will be a good indication that I made things too easy and need to stop being so soft on my players.

7 Likes

I played through the new content and managed to beat it in my first try, but to be fair it seems counterproductive when you give plenty of hints on how to go about it. :sweat_smile:

Keep up the good work, though. The way you write the combat is strangely cathartic.

2 Likes

Finally finished a segment of the fight scene.
So, basically the same list as before, except you can cut out the last step. Any of those options should work (that is, won’t abruptly end without any content. No guarantee they’ll help you survive the fight).

Quick shout out to @Fiogan for helping me sort out through the absolute mess of code that this ended up creating.

6 Likes

This is going to be a great game when this is finished and I can’t wait til it is.

1 Like

This is really good. I’d seen the title around on dashingdon and kind of put it in a category of aren’t demons so badass and cool kind of fiction. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Then, today I finally noticed the author, was intrigued, and actually read it. You write about dark things well, @Interestedparty, take evil seriously and present a kind of bleak heroism that’s oddly beautiful. Also, I find your ‘snippy’ attitude in your threads refreshing. You’re confident in the story you want to tell.

Not really familiar with Dark Souls, (though I’ve heard rumors of how difficult it is and been intrigued – making choices a strategic matter of life or death rather than cosmetic fluff) or the animes you mentioned, but I was wondering if you’d seen the movie Solomon Kane?

And, if you’re still thinking about maybe taking the story beyond the village, I think there’s some unresolved tension as to how our Lady will…end. She’s got a rather miserable existence, and perhaps would seek some kind of peace in death, and yet, she’s necessary to the world, the only hero left capable of doing anything. The question is, can she really change anything, even if it cost her death, or is she doomed to some ‘epic’ last stand that spells the destruction of any real humans still left? And I’m curious about her past, and how it might tie to her future…

Or, keep working on Broken Lenses. Or neither, if that’s how life goes. :woman_shrugging:t2: You’ve left some artful, thought-provoking stories here either way, and I was glad to find them.

Ooh, four months… :flushed:
Didn’t notice the thread was that old. Sorry if I shouldn’t have bumped it, I got excited…