Cyberpolice (November 2020. 1-2 hours playtime) (WIP)

Oh, by kill someone I dind’t mean casually.Maybe during a mission there is a chance where you kill a henchman/gang member without intention, maybe during a panic attack or something. I mean you could be even a rookie with nerve of steel and nothing goes wrong.

2 Likes

That’s definitely a good option to have for sure. I think I already know of a good spot to put something like that.

Anyway, looks like it’ll be Monday when I’ll post more, since I won’t be working much on this on Sunday.

5 Likes

No update today.

Made a fair deal of progress, so presumably Wednesday. While the scene isn’t as amazing as I hoped to make it, it’s still a bit better than before. In any case, I shouldn’t spend more time on it. I really have to cut down my habit of making scenes bloated when I finalize them. :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

No update.

Minor real-life business took more time than expected, so I didn’t get much done today.

Good news is that my schedule is free this coming weekend, which means I should be able to work on Cyberpolice pretty efficiently. Hopefully that will translate into an update a day, so we can finally get back to regular updates(which in itself would give me a motivation boost).

7 Likes

Updated with next file.

Includes the Jimmy the Card scene.

Current average playthrough:

• Carrington-Mouse path: 87,000
  • Stillwater path: 78,000
  • Total average: 82,500

The scene’s decent enough now. Very, very different from how it was originally, since I had to rewrite it sort of twice, but it should be fine at the moment.

There’s a few different outcomes to it now, in a pretty simple but hopefully gratifying way. Much better than the middle-version that was essentially filler in a weird way. (mostly because I had to do the first rewrite and axe one character entirely and all that)

(Variance wise the text is 8,000 words comments and all, and to a 2,500 average increase that’s an okay amount of variance I think, something like 33% per playthrough.).

Anyway, since the flow to the slums-finale is a bit different than planned, it isn’t included yet. Should be among the stuff I’ll upload tomorrow. Bare minimum I believe I’ll do that scene, since the return to the NTPD contains lots of tricky stuff with variance(interrogations from both sub-paths etc) and I might to think about it for a bit. Still, those scenes should be relatively simple compared to the complex mess that was some of the slums-scenes. :smiley:

Here’s to hoping I can push out an update on Saturday, Sunday and Monday!

9 Likes

No update, but progress was good. Stay tuned for the update tomorrow.

5 Likes

While there’s no update today, progress has been splendid. (so much for the daily update idea, I guess :wink: )

When I post it tomorrow it’ll include the slums finale, plus all the current wrap-up scenes for the slums(aka the others except for the Stillwater talk-stuff that wasn’t implemented yet(interrogations
mostly, for those who arrested people, and some dialogue if you didn’t)). Possibly a bit more, too, but that’ll depend on whether I’ll have as much time tomorrow as I think.

8 Likes

Stillwater my beloved :pensive::two_hearts:

I’m excited to play this again after finals, haven’t had the chance in a few weeks! I love how descriptive and detailed everything is, it makes it easy to picture what’s going on and the details add to the detective vibe in my opinion because you gotta focus on everything and decide what’s worth remembering. I also really like the character interactions we’ve had up to now!
You’re doing a great job!

4 Likes

Sigh, no update today despite the previous claims, slept really poorly and it definitely isn’t the state I want to be in when I’m doing the final pass to see if everything is good enough to be “published”(meaning I didn’t work at all today).

All kinds of cringy placeholders and spelling mistakes might be there, plus it takes a fair deal of brain power to check that there’s nothing contradictory or strange in the interrogations(especially since each is specific to its own path which means different logic and clues).

Whatever, I guess that means it’ll have to wait till Wednesday since I can’t work tomorrow. I probably should stop saying “update tomorrow” until I can push out three consecutive updates in a row without missing a day. :angry:

(don’t mind my public whining, that’s just the type of person I am :wink: When I write stuff out like this, it lets me ignore it afterwards since it’s no longer in my system. Also helps me reinforce positive stuff, which is why I wrote the long post below)

Yay! Thanks for the praise, and the details as to why you like it! Helps a lot, since it’s hard for me to know why people might like it. It’s also nice to hear what stuff people specifically enjoy, since it’s great for motivation. :slight_smile:

Hope you’ll like it in the future too!

Funny thing, I used to be really awful at descriptive writing and details before I realized “why” they need to be there in the first place. In the past I had no idea what sort of descriptions and details to include. I mean, I knew the plot stuff and so on, sure, but not the “immersive” stuff. Then it struck me. 'You include details and descriptions to create atmosphere". After I understood that, it was really easy to choose what to describe, why, and what level of detail, etc. Somehow linking it to atmosphere made what used to be so mysterious into something so simple.

Previously I didn’t have any idea how to describe something as simple as the corporate HQ or the police precinct, but once I started using the atmosphere I want to evoke as the guideline it all fell in place incredibly smoothly. A busy corporation has lots of people running around doing tasks and being in a rush, an organized and efficient police precinct has all kinds of convenient information around and everyone’s waiting for their turn without complaining, etc.

It’s pretty crazy how such simple things can help make your writing so much better.

I’m sure there’s still a dozen such realizations waiting for me in other areas, and once I understand those as well my writing will improve even further. :smiley:

Anyway, going to sleep now, and it’s not even 10pm. Hopefully I’ll get a good night’s sleep to compensate for the poor one so I can be in shape the day after tomorrow.

12 Likes

No update.

Simply put, I was just lazy. It’s always hard to me to return to work after even a smallish pause, and the poorly slept night was unfortunately that. Getting the work routine back up is really hard for stuff where I don’t have someone watching over me and telling me to work. Independence ain’t easy. :smiley:

Won’t give a time estimate this time since that depends 100% on when I get back in the saddle, so to speak. Could be tomorrow, could be during the weekend. Let’s hope for the best.

7 Likes

Updated with next file.

Includes most of encounter with the sheriff.

Also added two new skip-points, one at the end of the Stillwater path, one at the end of the Carrington-Mouse path.

• Total average: 86,000 (was 82,500)

Alright, enough with the week long hiatus.

It’s hard to properly put to words how tough it is for me to return to work after even the tiniest of breaks.

It’s like putting my hand on a stove, except my brain knows it’ll only do good. Yet, my body refuses to obey the command to do it, thinking that it’s dangerous. That’s the best way I can put it, weirdly enough. :smiley:

Point is, I definitely need the pressure of a public daily deadline. Thus, tomorrow a new update for sure! :sunglasses:

I didn’t totally sit idle, though, I tuned the current scene a bit and changed it to be somewhat more interesting(hopefully. It used to be more or less complete before I did it, so I kinda bloated it. Also the reason why it’s not fully ready now. Didn’t/doesn’t have a bunch of things it logically should).

Nonetheless, it’s mostly passivity on the player’s part, I feel, choice wise.

Not too much interactivity even in the dialogue, sadly, at least by my standards. Seems to be a bane of mine when there are too many characters in a scene, as the player often lacks agency given the context.

I should probably try to re-focus many of the scenes around the player, since at the moment it feels like the player is weirdly just along for the ride rather than doing the choices which is kinda the opposite of the whole concept of interactive fiction, isn’t it?

Sure, the big choices are decided by the player, but the minutiae is often just “watching a movie”, sort of. The current scene is good example of it. (If it’s fine and not a problem, I’d like to hear it so I don’t waste my efforts pointlessly. If anyone says it’s fine, that means I’ll ignore it and it won’t get better(so only say it if you mean it!), if people remain silent I’ll assume it’s a problem and use some more effort on it in the future(which means less effort elsewhere))

Was kinda even worse before I changed it. Might have to change it again at some point, but that’ll have to wait until I do the “super polishing pass” that’ll happen in the far off future.

Anyway, the scene should be finalized tomorrow, plus the return to the NTPD, and maybe the first “extra” segment.

Given that I feel that a daily deadline is necessary for me, I’m going to post the interrogations and whatnots as soon as they’re done instead of waiting to post all in one big chunk as I had previously thought(flip-flopped on, rather).

Depending on how much I want/need to rewrite them, could be that they’ll be posted very quickly or somewhat slowly(though I can’t imagine any of them will take all that much more work than is currently in them, unless I realize something annoying).

Hopefully this won’t lead to weird inconsistencies between them(since I’ll be thinking about them one scene at a time rather than as a web, which means I might overlook many a thing).

tl;dr:
New update ready, plus my regular self-blogging.

12 Likes

Alas, no update today, however, thanks to the deadline promise I did get a fair deal done, which is good as two days in a row is almost a routine. Some work tomorrow and things should flow smoothly once again.

The end half of the scene is definitely a lot more interactive player-choice-wise now(compared to the first half) thanks to that, so I treated my own concerns quite well too.

Hopefully I’ll finish it tomorrow, but since it’s Walpurgis/May Day that remains to be seen.

7 Likes

Have fun!

1 Like

Yup, didn’t manage to finish it, but at least I did get some work done so my workflow wasn’t interrupted.

Unfortunately I’ll be mostly busy on Sunday and Monday, so it might be Tuesday when I post the update. Probably won’t have enough time to do any work that requires concentration/focus before that, but I’ll make sure to do something on each day to keep up the routine(planning or drafting future scenes if nothing else), I really don’t want to lose it again.

7 Likes

Updated with next file.

Includes rest of the sheriff scene.

• Total average: 86,500 (was 86,000)

Only 500 words increase on average, but that’s a pretty important 500 words. Besides, the “non-average” word increase is 5000, so that’s 10% per playthrough. :stuck_out_tongue:

(though pretty unevenly distributed to be honest. If you choose the “wrong” choices you get a pretty small amount of text, but if you dig deep into the “right” ones you get lots and lots of text and way more choices. Kinda feels bad leaving it like that, but it’s time to move on, and artificial text-balance is often an awful idea. Still, it needs some more work later on)

I’ll probably go through the scene again after I’ve finished with this batch and done the sub-plots too, since they can have a lot of relevance to this depending on the path. So, consider this a “semi-polished” version of the scene only. Your mileage will vary greatly depending on the choices you’ve made previously(media choice mostly) and the choices you make during the dialogue. In any case, the true-omega-final version will hopefully be “beefier” on average so you’ll never run into a “Huh, that was it? How short.” kinda choice-node.

(also, I’m not 100% sure I can implement all the consequences I’ve set out from some of the choices in this scene, since some of them depend on said sub-plots and some other things. The final version might end up having some parts pruned away or replaced with others.)

Anyway, tomorrow we should finally get out of the slums.

(I partially updated this file now to ‘lock’ myself into the current version of this scene, as I have a pretty big desire to fine-tune it even more, but I’ve spent enough time and effort on it for now anyway. Might tinker with it a bit tomorrow, but hopefully not too much)

8 Likes

That personal tour though :eyes:

1 Like

No update today. Probably tomorrow. That is all. :smiley:

4 Likes

Well, seeing as how dashingdon has been down for several hours and I haven’t been able to upload the file, I put the update into spoilers. (Meaning, no file uploaded yet, but it’s done from my perspective)

I’m going to sleep now, so I’ll probably upload both today’s and tomorrow’s stuff at the same time, supposing dashingdon’s back up again.

Updated with next file.

Includes return from slums.

• Total average: 88,500 (was 86,500)

Kinda a grounding/filler/exposition/character interaction scene.

Feels somewhat bloated at the moment, weirdly enough. I’ll take another look at it at some point(much, much later), might have to cut a lot of the stuff away or make it optional. We’ll see.

Next update probably tomorrow(hopefully more stuff(and more important) than today). Almost certainly nothing on Saturday and Sunday.

8 Likes

Hmmh, the NTPD stuff is slightly trickier than I thought. Good thing I can think about it over the weekend even if I can’t work as such.

Because of that, unfortunately no further update today, except for what I made but couldn’t upload yesterday.
(below is the same thing I posted above, except visible)

Next update probably on Monday, or Tuesday, depending on some things.

Updated with next file.

Includes return from slums.

• Total average: 88,500 (was 86,500)

Kinda a grounding/filler/exposition/character interaction scene.

Feels somewhat bloated at the moment, weirdly enough. I’ll take another look at it at some point(much, much later), might have to cut a lot of the stuff away or make it optional. We’ll see.

8 Likes

Have a good weekend :slightly_smiling_face: