Curious Cuisine (Superhero/Cooking)

I would really love to see it

but then again who cares for my opinion

You could make it skippable with premade choices…but is it a lot of time and effort wasted Ist up to you

2 Likes

I personally would want to see more of this idea and have more content but I think this might not have as much of a pay off since others would opt out of seeing it. Maybe make it part of an update a few months after the game is published? Just add enough nods and cameo appearances to the Gloom side story to make it possible in the future.

Just my opinion, either way, the game is still one of the best WiPs I’ve had the fortune of reading.

2 Likes

Been giving our relationship with our kid some thought. And I understand we’re not supposed to be overbearing. But

1. “Yo parent I’m going to hang out with my friends until three in the morning” “Ok have fun since you are my equal in every conceivable way” but they aren’t are they? We’re the parent they are the child. We have to have boundaries.

2. “Oh don’t worry about a curfew the town has it’s own curfew” that’s one hypothetical example of “The town and it’s rules will parent for you so you can be equals.” As a single parent it’s kind of our job to be the parent and lay down the law.

Conclusion: even if we respect our kid if the relationship is perfect. It would be the most unrealistic part of a superhero story with The Gloom and a sentient town.

2 Likes

Okay, I have to get a bit snarky here:

Why, in the name of everything holy and unholy, does

‘there won’t be overdone, clichéd parent-child drama like forbidding your kid from dating, or giving them house arrest if they come home a bit too late’

apparently translate to

‘the parents is completely uncaring’ to you?

Sorry, but I believe that if you are convinced that there 1. have to be moments where the parents outright disrespects the child as human and sees them as property, and 2. really think there won’t be any clashing between them in a non-drama-llama way

then I don’t think the game’s for you

EDIT:

Really, what are you calling for?
The stale

"You're not dating X, and that's final!"
"why?"
"Because I'm your parent and I say so! End of discussion!"

nonsense?

Or leaving your kid to sleep on the porch when they’re home 2 minutes late? Throwing out books, clothes and music that are completely harmless but that you don’t like?
Are you calling for that?

5 Likes

Yay! Go girl/boy/non-binary!!

2 Likes

I believe that raising a child is a very difficult thing, it can be quite subjective sometimes as to allow people to have different perspectives of what is right or not to do to in regards to education, and some people are really quite obsessive with either their children or people they care for. A balance is necessary to raise a child properly, not too much freedom, not too much control, but either way, children still are not adults and can’t be treated as such. I’m not a parent, neither have I raised a child, so take it as you may, but I believe that radical actions are in no part good to a child.

Also, as this is my first post here, I would like to say that I really enjoy your game @MeltingPenguins.

2 Likes

I know and I’m trying to achieve that balance. :confused:
But what’s been said strikes me as asking for an option to be hyper-controlling, aka outright abusive. And I won’t have that.

Okay, spoiler for how the second chapter (the one before switching to the kid’s PoV) ends

Your kid is out late and you DO get worried, when the police brings them home. Turns out they and the others snuck near the Gloom. Also your kid has superpowers. You WILL have the option to give them housearrest or similar, once they’re done telling you what happened.

9 Likes

I too am confused as to how the equates to uncaring parent…from a outside perspective at least.
From the child’s perspective at time time they may say your a uncaring parent but that’s just kids being upset. I’m sure many have said similar to their parents.
Edit: that being said outright forbidding probly wouldn’t have gone over well with most teens, and is a touch odd to me. (Not a parent)
Oh and I love the writing especially the relationship with our pup, and how we respond to the arse at the hairdresser.

4 Likes

OH, i just realised how this might be a great way to teach parents to look through the eyes of their kids. You show both pov and think that a family plays this game seperately. The kid will now know their parents worries and the parent will know their kids reasoning. This might end up in common understanding and agreement and will provide a peacefull relationship through a families life.

Will have them put this games link into self improvement books!!

2 Likes

^^; thank you.
I must admit, it sorta was what I was trying (aside from having fun with the genre clash XD )

It’s heartbreaking how often (not really in CoG, though) you see fiction where either side is constantly portrayed as incompetent, rash etc, while the other is so wise etc.

Everyone has their moments of glory and their moments of WTF

I just hope I can pull it off well.

4 Likes

This is appropriate there has to be some boundaries. I’m just asking for a bowl of ice cream and you seem to think I’m asking for ice cream cake. We have to be a parent. Not a Warden not a best buddy. A parent.

2 Likes

You came across as asking for an icecream truck to me.
So, all I can do is ask you to be patient and see how things get pulled off.

Even if you portray them as the perfect family it’s still going to be a kick-ass game because you’re a kick-ass writer. I was just saying it seemed to me things are a bit too easy. And the GPS thing was more about pragmatism. Does GPS even work in the town? That’s a question to ask.

Oh, they’re far from a perfect family.
Maybe my wording before came across differently than intended. I’m really better in more words Dx

Well we’re all on pins and needles waiting for the next update. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Working on it. It’s just getting longer and longer…

Wait will we be defining like if our kid is an athlete, a gamer, etc? I know we have quite a few opportunities to reiterate they are … Weird.

1 Like

Yeah. That will happen. Sorta.

Just curious about how to ground them if they get in too much trouble. Taking away their video games and what not.

Housearrest will do.

On brighter news.
Kinda due to @Prism_Stars the kids now have school uniforms.

2 Likes