[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

I believe what you’re experiencing there is a technical limitation with the Line Wrapping function which can leave some ‘dead space’ on the left of each line (it might even be more evident when using tabs than spaces, but don’t quote me on that). A temporary workaround is to turn Line Wrapping off except when working on heavy narrative.

You may want to give it a fair trial the next time you sit down for a decent session. I was frankly surprised by how quickly I got used to the way Smart indentation works. It won’t suit everyone, of course, but I do believe many will also find it all flows far more smoothly once they get used to it.

When you reach the point where you’re automatically using Shift-Enter in the right places (to temporarily override smart indent and return to the very start of the next line), you’ve cracked it! :smiley:

3 Likes

@Jacic
I’m no expert, but here’s a stupid idea I came up with while looking at your problem.

I think I managed to replicate your issue and to me at least feels like a normal indentation issue where it wants to continue you on the same line as above, but in CSIDE it apparently doesn’t allow you to go back so you might insert anything before a clear first indentation on a single line. Plausibly to avoid having a tab left over in the middle of your text, or because of the way it automatically sizes the tab into that first indentation gap.

Did you try to Shift+Tab and unindent? That worked for me just fine and has in fact been my preferred unindentation method for a while now.

3 Likes

That is correct, I’m afraid :slight_smile: Still, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how organised you can be just through closing/opening unused scenes and colour coding what you have open (as this will persist across sessions).

Whilst it would be possible to allow subfolders, it would make it difficult (if not impossible) for CSIDE to determine what was a new project and what was a sub-folder. We could circumvent this by having “project” files, but we really wanted to keep CSIDE as easy and unrestrictive to use as possible.

@Jacic - I think your issue is as @Vendetta said, but I’ll try and replicate it. Line-wrapping in general makes your code easier to read, but it can have nuances whilst you’re coding. You could try experimenting with turning it on/off at times to best accomodate your needs.

@Eleckar I’m surprised that doesn’t work, but it is a feature I’ve often forgotten about. I’ll double-check and get back to you :slight_smile:

@Nonvita Glad to hear it! Can’t wait to hear what you think :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Eleckar, *if (choice_randomtest) works OK for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry I didn’t reply earlier have been out for much of the day. You’re right it’s a line wrapping issue. If I turn that off, the cursor moves fine. Thanks everyone for the help :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@CJW

Yes, it works fine when running it with the actual randomtest; however, clicking the play button results in the error below:

I mean, that could be an argued issue (the lack of smPlugin support), but it has nothing to do with choice_randomtest? We’ve experimented with including the plugin in the past, but the current version doesn’t provide it. If that’s something people would like, we can look at adding it in.

2 Likes

The issue is that randomtest should skip that line (only run if true), but, as I said, the problem is non-existant as I have found the authentic randomtest. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right, sorry. I didn’t catch the tone/meaning behind your last message. You’ve sorted randomtest now (that’s fine), but are having issues because smPlugin isn’t supported? That’s good :slight_smile: I certainly have no objection to including smPlugin.js in the next update, if it’s something people use a lot of.

3 Likes

@dashingdon’s hosting site allows for the use of smPlugin, I believe, so I imagine quite a few people might be using it?

I wouldn’t mind not having to *comment out my *sm_init commands whenever I upload my scene files to Dashingdon, certainly. It would save time (and errors if I forget…). :D

3 Likes

All right, so my husband was able to go to the internet cafe last night. I asked him to download the Mac version for me but after trying different browsers, different computers, and even a different internet cafe (what a sweetie), the download apparently failed every time.

I really have no idea if this was an isolated case or if there is indeed an issue with the Mac version download. Seems I’ll be waiting a little longer to try it, though. :sob:

I’m sorry it wouldn’t download properly! ):

I just tried a fresh download on my Mac, on reasonable-but-slowish internet, and everything worked fine for me. Current OS.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s not the download (I just re-downloaded it successfully as well), but you could have caught the Github servers at a bad time, or had download restrictions placed on the internet cafe networks? If you’re still having issues, feel free to PM one of us. I’m sure we could look into an alternative way to get you the file.

4 Likes

I can confirm the download is working, just put it on my new Mac for the first time.

3 Likes

OK, thanks for the replies everyone. I know the government here restricts some websites (like Reddit, for example) although it’s never impacted Github for me before. Maybe it is something to do with the internet cafes themselves. I’ll try it at home once we have more internet quota again.

4 Likes

My cover image doesn’t appear on CSIDE’s “play” option though it does when I use Firefox. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? :confused:

1 Like

@Ylva have you used import image option ?

It imports images as scene file and then they gets loaded in playtest

2 Likes

Does it error? Your image file should be in the same folder as your scene file. Or can you just not see it?

1 Like

I haven’t, no. I’ll try that.

I’m just unable to see it, there’s no error.

Would you mind sending me a copy of/link to the image over PM? I’ll look into it and get back to you. That definitely doesn’t sound like the intended behavior!

2 Likes