[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

Thank you for that Minnow, that reproduced it. So this does seem to be an issue in the current development build, and is isolated to CSIDE, and not present in the latest CS. Time to dig :smirk:

It won’t have anything to do with Windows 7 - don’t worry :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe that’s fixed now, thank you both :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Huge thx to @Minnow for reproducing it and making clear description, I wouldn’t be able to make that good description.

I’m hoping to push the first update (which’ll include this fix and a shedload of changes) to the ‘Latest’ update channel later this week, or perhaps early next. It’s with the first line of testers now; fingers crossed!

4 Likes

Hype, hype, hype! ^^Thx for good work! Will there be changelog?

This is subject to change, but yes, you can view it here: main/changelog.md at master · ChoicescriptIDE/main · GitHub

Note that I only update that as we approach a likely release. If anyone is interested in things as they happen, you can follow the individual Github commits :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Seeing as we hit the topic of configuring the automatic *author name, is there anything else people would like to be able to tweak/configure that they currently can’t? Aside from syntax highlighting, I’m still working that one out (it’s a tough one)!

1 Like

Maybe add a ‘throwaway’ feature.

Not exactly a configuration option, but if you mean a way to quickly test and discard projects, that is definitely on the cards :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Could I have a reload all scenes button that’s not in a submenu? I’ve been writing on Atom and testing on CSIDE, and pretty much reload every time I run a project.
Bigger project – I’d love a function to compare two files (working draft and demo version), so I can double-check I’ve made all the same changes to both

What we should do (and can’t believe we haven’t already) is have a key combination for reloading (both single scenes and all scenes). I’m not sure the UI would accommodate (or benefit much from) an explicit button. Why do you like to write in Atom and test in CSIDE? I ask only to see if you have suggestions for improvements in CSIDE as a code editor :slight_smile:

For me because I usually click open files and notepad++ opens my .txt files ( I made it default when I installed it ) If I have to try some code then I use CSIDE but for writing I usually use notepad++

I was about to ask for a button or keyboard command to open all scene files in a single project at once, but then I realized I hadn’t actually memorized all of the keyboard commands. So it was possible such a command already existed. So I checked! And I found that Ctrl+Shift+O (Windows) or Cmd+Shift+O (Mac) should do the trick.

Then I tried it. Well, I tried the Windows command, since I’m on Windows 7 and can’t try the Mac equivalent.

Nothing happened.

The command to open a single scene file within a project (Ctrl+O in Windows) works just fine for me, but I can’t get the equivalent keyboard command for all scene files within a project to do anything at all. Is this an “unsupported OS” error, or is something else going on?

Note that I can right-click the project’s name in the Scenes & Projects list in the left-most panel after opening a single scene file, and from that right-click menu can select “Open all scenes.” As such, I do have a way to open all the scenes more or less at once, even if the dedicated keyboard command isn’t working for me.

1 Like

Heh, a key combination would be my preference actually, I was just (for some reason) guessing the other way would be easier for you…which doesn’t make sense even to me know. A little too early in the morning to post on the forums, I guess. :woman_facepalming:t2:

Well, I started with Atom and it’s most familiar to work with right now (except testing had always been a hassle). My initial thought was simply the syntax highlighting difference, but after thinking about it a bit more, I think the real reason I can’t bring myself to switch is its auto-complete feature – not sure if that’s the right term! What I mean is when I start typing a word and the program guesses what I’m writing and offers to finish it with a single key-press. Now, I know CSIDE has something similar, but Atom’s got a couple changes that make a significant difference for me.

1. It only guesses words that are already in the folder somewhere, whether they are spelled correctly or not. Now, combined with a lack of spell check, this can lead to spelling a word wrong exactly the same way everywhere – but this is easy to fix with search+replace (when I notice it…). I just checked and CSIDE’s closer to Atom than I’d thought here. CSIDE also autofills my very long label names (*goto letsgetoutofthedarnroomalready) for me, but only in the same scene file.
  2. It’s very good at keeping track of what I actually type a lot. For example, I use the subroutine discipline_up all over the place in my files (~20 times in the scene I tested this with). If I type ‘dis’ into my file on Atom, that’s the first guess on the list. CSIDE gives me ‘distress’ (which is in the file ~4 times), then ‘discolored’ (which appears once).
  3. It catches skipped letters, rather than only searching for letters in the same order. If I type ‘relro,’ CSIDE gives up, while Atom correctly guess I’m trying to type rel_brother. It also takes into account partial words that I may be adding to the beginning of. If I want to change ‘lily_status’ to ‘brother_status,’ I can delete lily, type ‘bro’ in front of _status, and Atom will replace the whole thing. CSIDE gives me ‘brother_status_status’.

I also like Atom’s auto-paired parentheses/quotes (though I’m sure many disagree with me), and the search/replace box. It’s persistent if I want to keep the last term I searched for highlighted, and I can easily replace a variable name everywhere it appears.

I use CSIDE to check what my paragraphs look like in a test file I keep overwriting (Do I need another line break? Is that too much text in one option?), and quickly test (myself or with the autotests). The popout function has been incredibly helpful, and I think there’s a lot of potential in the console I’ve not discovered yet. (Would it be possible to save a set of variables to track? I’ve got ~9 I usually want to keep an eye on, but all variables tracks more than I’d like)

1 Like

@DUNGEON_MASTER So it’s simply a matter of CSIDE not being the default for .txt, or is there more to it there?

@Minnow
This key combo will only work if the project is selected and in focus, I.e., you need to have at least one scene open, and it needs to be both selected and have focus in the editor window. If you’re still having trouble it’ll be a bug, but I’d be surprised if that one slipped through the cracks. I’m away from home ATM, so can’t check the current build, but I’m sure I have made use of that key combo myself.

@Alexandra
Wow, thank you. That is a very detailed and insightful analysis you’ve shared there. The auto suggest in CSIDE is indeed very basic, and could definitely benefit from further development (writing good autosuggests is far from easy).

We can see that people are using CSIDE from mentions around the forum (usually in different threads), but the amount of analytical feedback is actually quite low. It’s difficult for us to know what features people are using (or not using) and why. I think, from what little feedback we have had, the trend is the same. People seem to quite like it as a testing suite, but think it falls short as an editor. If anyone agrees/disagrees with this, please, do let us know! Feedback as above is incredibly helpful. Things can be changed and improved, but only if we know what those changes should be.

Would anyone object/like/dislike if CSIDE prompted you for feedback (very intermittently)? It’s something we didn’t implement because from personal experiences it can be rather annoying (“please rate this app”), but we’re not looking for ratings, just opinions (good and bad!). I’m wondering whether having an in-app way to provide feedback would further encourage people to provide it?

Oh!

Yes, that solves it. Everything is working as intended, now that I know what the intended behavior actually is.

1 Like

Hmm as much as I would like the to happen notpad++ have syntax highlighting for other languages too so can’t go for it .

But can you give a option for us to open it from right click menu.
Don’t really know how it would be implemented though and how hard it’s going to be

I’m glad! That’s probably a sign that the documentation on it needs clarifying.

@DUNGEON_MASTER
CSIDE isn’t meant to replace Notepad++, I wrote most of the code for it in Notepad++ ! But certainly for CS, the aim is to make it a definitive do-all tool.
Ah, yes. File association works great OK on Mac, but I do recall windows being less cooperative out of the box. I think you should be able to set this yourself, but I’ll make a note to look into it, see if it can’t be achieved through the install process.

I’m glad! That’s probably a sign that the documentation on it needs clarifying.

@DUNGEON_MASTER
CSIDE isn’t meant to replace Notepad++, I wrote most of the code for it in Notepad++ ! But certainly for CS, the aim is to make it a definitive do-all tool.
Ah, yes. File association works great OK on Mac, but I do recall windows being less cooperative out of the box. I think you should be able to set this yourself, but I’ll make a note to look into it, see if it can’t be achieved through the install process.

Feed back in the program wouldn’t bother me at all.

1 Like