[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

That explains it then, at first I didn’t update it, it told me that there was an erorr with indentations, I clicked fix it and that was a mistake.
Thanks for explaining it. I updated it and went over the code to fix it yesterday.

1 Like

Yep, apologies for that. I did remove that feature in newer versions as it often did more bad than good, unfortunately. Glad you’ve sorted it.

Hello, I’ve been plugging along at my game, mostly using one scene file per chapter. Today I was distressed when I logged on and I couldn’t find my scene files for my latest chapter anywhere. I had rewritten my past three chapters over old scene files (I deleted the old text and started over again), and it seemed like for some reason CSIDE had restored the old text over the new one, which I didn’t realize was possible.

Further, I was able to find some of the text of my last chapter, all spliced up and put into different scene files (named “unlabeled 9” and “unlabeled 10”), when just a few days ago it was all neatly under a file labeled 21. Is there any way I can restore my text files to the way they were two days ago?

I’m afraid I don’t completely understand, and I’m not convinced CSIDE could be responsible for this. There’s always the possibility for bugs, of course, but the file handling code hasn’t changed much in the 5yrs of public use, and I’ve never heard of such a bug.

To be clear: I’m not dismissing your issue, but I think it might be wise to consider alternative answers. Regardless, short of file backups via Dropbox or Operating System support (which I always advise, regardless of what tool you’re using), I don’t have any solution to your current dilemma.

1 Like

I write 99% of the time in CSIDE and the only time I use something else (notepad+) is to do large scale find + replace.

Is there any plans to allow find + replace to a later version of CSIDE?

2 Likes

Yes, the latest development versions have had project wide find and replace for a while now.

You can try it out via the nightly web build:

Or join the Discord server and @ me for a link to the Desktop version.

1 Like

Is there a CSIDE equivalency to randomtest and quicktest features a la node.js, by any chance?

You can access those features in the Test Project menu (right-click your project first).

What @Kshatriya says is true for the desktop version. For the web version, these features are unfortunately unavailable. This is a technical limitation because the entire IDE runs in your browser, in other words there is no server to offload such high computational tasks to. This is a deliberate design to keep the cost and effort of hosting the IDE very low.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the best place to ask for this kind of help but here goes- I’ve been using CSIDE (fantastic program, btw) for a while now on macOS and have noticed that about… 6 times out of ten, when CSIDE is closed, one of the programs associated with it- ‘nwjs helper’ continues running (and using memory) until I manually close it using the activity monitor. Is this a bug? Or something my end?

It’s not a huge problem, just wanted to see if it was a known thing.
Thanks for any replies!

1 Like

It’s a known issue (unfortunately), but thanks for reporting it. Should I ever finally get around to finishing and releasing the next version of CSIDE, it should be improved, if not fixed entirely.

1 Like

Thanks for replying! No worries about the issue, I just wanted to be sure that it wasn’t a problem my end or something.
Thank you for providing such an amazing resource :smiley:

1 Like

Question!
Will *create_array and *temp_array eventually became available to CSIDE?

1 Like

It’s already available, but only on the “Latest” update channel: [CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022) - #1189 by CJW

I’ve not had any bugs reported so I might move it to stable soon.

2 Likes

This might be the stupidest question I’ve asked ever, but for the life of me I can’t find the answer. I’ve looked at the wiki and searched on this forum, I have no clue.

But how the hell do you find and replace words in Choicescript IDE? I know finding is just CTRL + F, but I have no idea how to replace all. Or do I have to find them and replace them all individually?

I seriously never thought I’d create a thread just to ask this question :face_exhaling:

1 Like

In the Help Tab there is a link to a Hotkeys/Shortcuts page, which contains a Search/Find/Replace heading.

That lists: SHIFT + CTRL + R (Win) or SHIFT + CMD + OPTION (Mac). IIRC.

Note that unfortunately this will only apply to the current scene file. There is a vastly improved project-wide find and replace system available in the development builds. See the following post for more information about accessing those: [CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022) - #1219 by CJW

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

1 Like

Choicescript IDE it’s great. I was working with it on my game just fine until today but now i can’t open anymore the program. When i try to open it, a new window called “nw.js” appears and it doesn’t do anything. Is there a fix?
Edit: Sorry it seems it was just a problem of my PC not having enough free space lol

2 Likes

So I want to change the names since I keep using the wrong pronouns. (Yes, I write at 3-4 am while drunk on caffeine) so is there an easier way to find out a specific name? For example, If I search “Blaine” It’ll also give me $!{Blaine_name}

2 Likes

Using Notepad++ makes searching easier for me. There’s also an option to search on multiple dlopen text files as well.

1 Like