[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

Sorry, I did not know one could do that. For me in dashington there is no such section…

There isn’t. This is something i got by talking to dashingdon about it. But yeah.

I think is a question for the dashingdon thread. If you’re no longer using image scenes, then I don’t think it’s going to have anything to do with CSIDE?

1 Like

How do I export my games

1 Like

@Jayzel

Click on the marked part. Select a folder. It will compile your game into .html

If that is what you’re looking for.

Or that if you’re looking to export scene files. Those are 2(two) exporting options.

1 Like

I found this helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m on ios safari I don’t see import

@CJW

Quick question, does CSIDE support *script.

Because i was trying to use script to make background dark(black) by DEFAULT when opened by a reader. But CSIDE doesn’t recognize it.

Error on my part perhaps or?

CSIDE explicitly disables the use of script. There a few reasons for this, but the simple one is that I always felt the program had a duty to try and encourage people to adhere to CoG’s guidelines (which are that script is completely unsupported, last I checked). I’m happy for anyone to try and convince me otherwise though!

3 Likes

Is anyone having issues with Cside? I recently purchased a new laptop and downloaded CSide and it installed and ran smoothly, but then it prompted for me to update to v1.2. then restart the program. After doing so, I am unable to properly load up the program as the program freezes during start up.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it still freezes at the exact place throwing out the error “cannot read properly ‘charAt’ of undefined”

Edit: reinstalled the program choosing not to update to v1.2.1, closed and and tried reopening and freezes again.

Can you please PM with details about platform etc?

3 Likes

Is there an easier way to track variable change in CSIDE? Like a relationship variable, instead of looking at the stats screen at every turn, is there like a way to see it in a new window as you play the game?

1 Like

You can do this via the Console.
There’s documentation for this under the help tab: if you click ‘Advanced Topics’, and then ‘Console’.

The specific section is ‘Console Tracking Commands’.

i.e. typing the following into the console (whilst a game is running):
*track my_var
Will cause any changes to the ‘tracked’ variable’s value to be logged to the console.
You can then use *untrack my_var when you’re done.

Hope that helps.

11 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

1 Like

I couldn’t be sure in which category this should be in as it is about cside, so it is in general. Mods can move it if they see fit.

Also, quite surprising to me I couldn’t find any thread on this topic, so merge or close if you see the need. Then sorry for the inconvenience :upside_down_face:

On to the topic now.

If you have progressed long enough in your story and want to see if some code will work, you need to start all the way from start. This seemed like a big issue to me and that’s why I’m surprised there is no thread addressing this. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to just playtest one specific scene or start it from a certain line of a scene without the need of using saves? Like you left click on the line you need to test and choose play from here.

Could this be worked on and we see this on future updates?

Or this issue was known and not solved?

When developing your game, it’s good practice to change the scene list in the startup file, so your game will start from that one scene you’re currently working on.

Furthermore, if the scene makes use of specific variables, make sure to simulate their expected values with a series of *set commands in the beginning of the scene.

After that, if you want to jump to a specific line, use the *goto command and a label.

That’s how you test specific scenes without going through the whole game.

1 Like

@CJW can correct me, but I believe you can do this via the console. The documentation should be under the help tab.

3 Likes

Indeed! Help -> Advanced Topics -> Console.
Whilst the game is running you can the use *goto_scene whenever you like. However, as others have already cautioned, be careful that you don’t end up testing impossible state. I.e. be very careful you set appropriate variables values, and consider how a user would get to where you are going.

6 Likes

I don’t know why, but I can’t type on the console, must be my laptop.

Doubtful. You do need to click the text box at the bottom (or try ctrl+shift+c, that should auto focus it).