[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

Notepad++ uses that topbar as well and it’s a real pain in the neck if you have a lot of files to edit. Only being able to see a small number of project files and having to constantly scroll back and forth gets very annoying very quickly. If it had an option to expand vertically to show all the files it wouldn’t be so bad but, that, frankly, is one reason I don’t use Notepad++ for large (non CS) projects if I can avoid it.

You guys can actually use Ctrl + Alt + PgUp/PgDown to quickly navigate tabs. Works pretty much on any programs.

Putting this here in case anyone didn’t know.

Is there an APK of this yet? My laptop’s shot, so I’d appreciate being able to code on my phone or tablet. The online version obviously isn’t meant for mobile use…

v1.3.0 - 03/06/2019 (now on ‘Latest’ update channel)

Feature release focusing on user dictionary improvements and bug fixes.

Fixes

• Custom themes should now persist across sessions on all platforms
  • Fixed an issue related to spellchecking words wrapped in quotation marks
  • v1.2.1 HotFix (correctly initialize default tabs)
  • Fixed a minor issue with Dropbox error handling
  • CSIDE will no longer ignore the *text_image command behaviour
  • Fixed an issue with ‘stepping’ being unable to handle *fake_choice
  • Fixed disappearing window control/UI jumping bug
  • The ‘Run Project’ hotkey is now documented as intended

Additions

• User Dictionary Improvements
    • Optimised add/remove word functionality
    • Added support for importing/exporting JSON-esque dictionaries
    • Added a ‘Remove All’ (words) button
    • Added real-time search filter behaviour to the input box to help with navigating large dictionaries
  • Added additional options to the indentation setting, and converted its settings control to a dropdown menu
  • Added the line and column position of the cursor to the code editor footer
  • Added an option to ‘clear game data’ to a running project’s ChoiceScript menu
    • This will allow for clearing of earned achievements etc.
  • Added support to cycle through the current project’s scenes via hotkeys
    • Mac: Cmd+Alt+PgUp/PgDwn
    • Windows: Ctrl+PgUp/PgDwn
  • Added hotkeys for changing font size (ctrl/cmd[±]) [NEEDS DOCUMENTING]
  • Extended custom theme scripting support:
    • Misc bug fixes and error clarifications.
    • Adds new tokens: gutter, gutter-numbers, error-lines, cursor, matches
    • See example project for usage!
  • Atomic file writes (this should help combat reported file corruption)g

Changes

• Updated internal copy of ChoiceScript to Github commit
  • Moved the right panel tab control to be vertical
  • Updated the notification library:
    • Should improve accessibility
    • Modified appearance of notifications
  • Turning the ‘Word Count’ setting off will now disable word counting
    rather than just hiding it (for performance reasons).
  • Minor UI (colour) improvement for night mode’s scene/project drag and drop
  • Added a link to CSIDE’s thread in the ‘What is CSIDE?’ documentation page
8 Likes

Afraid not. It’s something I’ve thought about from time-to-time, but it’s not on the cards at the moment. It’d be quite a big undertaking.

RE: The UI mockup, thanks for all the input everyone! I’m absolutely thrilled with all the (varied) thoughts/comments. Sounds like we’ll need to revisit/iterate on this a bit more? How would people like me to handle that? Should I keep sharing designs here in the thread?

CSIDE: A General Update on Direction (We’re 2yrs old!)

So this past weekend CSIDE’s current iteration turned 2 years old and passed 4k downloads! To mark the occasion I’m happy to announce that v1.3.0, the latest feature release, is now available (details of which are above).

Now, as it currently stands this will be the penultimate feature update to the current iteration of CSIDE. Sometime in the mid to long term (hopefully late this year) I hope to release an even larger, final feature update. This will containing much of the functionality teased in the blog post earlier this year: CSIDE Update 2019 – The ChoiceScript IDE. This will include the new editor, associated language features, UI improvements etc. Once this final version is released, the aim will to then be to continue to support that with smaller maintenance releases (bug fixes, new versions of ChoiceScript etc.) only. All in all, this should amount to something like the next two years or so of the “CSIDE roadmap”.

But what happens next?
By this time most of the ‘core’ code of CSIDE will be 4+ years old (and some of its dependencies even older!). Long story short, it will be well past time for a radical change… What will that change look like? I’m honestly not 100% sure yet, although I’ve a few ideas in mind. It may even be that, for whatever reason, there is no real need for CSIDE by then. Who knows? A lot can happen in two years!

I’ll be looking to post more on my thoughts about this as things progress, and we’ll be sure to take any comments/feedback into account. This is just a plan after all, and plans can always be changed.

Thanks again for all the support, and as always, please do feel free to share your thoughts! We’re listening :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Important Notice

Thanks to @Fiogan for reporting a major bug in v1.3.0. Seems a scene file’s metadata can be corrupted, and this will cause the file to display weird modified/creation dates etc. Your work (the actual file contents) shouldn’t be affected. I hope to push a hotfix shortly. Apologies to anyone who has been affected by this! I’d advise not updating until this is resolved. EDIT: v1.3.1 (Hotfix) is now live on ‘Latest’ and ‘Development’.

2 Likes

Okay, random question: why does CSIDE not like it when I press control-F to search? I have to do it several times because the search bar pops up and then immediately disappears.

I’m not 100% sure; if you click (anywhere) the search bar will disappear. Just press Ctrl-F and immediately type your search value.

Maybe that is it. I will test it and see.

1 Like

v1.3.1 (Hotfix) Release Now Available (Latest, Development)

Hotfix release. Reverts atomic file writing changes from v1.3.0 due to corruption of metadata.

Fixes

• Corrupted metadata on file writes

Changes

• File writes are no longer atomic
4 Likes

Feature request: sometimes I need to mark places in my code that require extra attention in the future. Other IDEs sometimes let me use pre-set tags in the comments, and then highlight them in bold and color, like TODO or FIXME in Eclipse. Would it be possible to do this for CSIDE? Would anyone but me use it?

6 Likes

Me will.
I already do it with angle brackets.

3 Likes

Would be a very cool feature

3 Likes

Great suggestion! I’ve raised a ticket: Highlight TODOs and FIXMEs in comment lines · Issue #73 · ChoicescriptIDE/main · GitHub
If you have any extra details, or specific examples of software that implements this, please let me know :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I can not get the CSIDE console feature to function. I assume the error is with me, please help. When I click on the >_ at the bottom of the editor window, the console tab pops up but no matter what I can not seem to input any commands directly into the console. There is no apparent cursor, I can not select anything within that blank tab, my keyboard inputs nothing, etc. What am I doing wrong?

For context, I am trying to use the console to playtest how a labeled scene reads with certain variables. I don’t really want to muck about with using console commands in the scene files themselves because I read it can muck up quicktest and randomtest, which I use a lot.

Thanks

1 Like

The console text box might not focus automatically. You may just need to select it:

Alternatively I think opening it via ctrl-shift-c, should automatically focus the text box, allowing you to type straight off the bat.

2 Likes

Thank you. Ctrl-Shift-C worked. (Turns out, I was clicking everywhere but the very bottom of the window)

I keep getting this error every time I go to save, or cside auto saves. And for the life of me I can’t figure out what the other program they are referring to. It’s not impeding the program so much as I will start writing then have to close the error and try and find where I left off.

I believe cside is updated to the currant version if that might help.
Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Do you have another instance of CSIDE open, or do you have the file in question open in another text editor?

I don’t think so and no, I have a note++ file open but it isn’t the one I’m working as. I’ll have to double check for another instance of CSide running as well but I’m pretty certain there wasn’t. I’ll double check the task manager to be 100% sure.

The only other thing that I’ve done recently is save CSide to a flash drive and all my work as well due to not having not enough memory on my laptop.

1 Like