[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.0 Now Available — 18/06/2019)

Might be best to upload the files somewhere and open a thread and show the error.

Easiest way is to hop onto the Discord channel: https://discord.gg/MY5ZTgZHBg

As MeltingPenguins said, your code is probably looping. Funnily enough, one of the features of the new version is that only the game will freeze on an endless loop (not the entire application).

Thank you so much @CJW ! I’ll keep looking at it and see if I can figure out why it’s looping now where it wasn’t before :confused:

Lessa

Well, I’m over the moon. It’s fixed. I copy/pasted the problem bits out, ran it, everything worked, then i copy/pasted them back in, and now it’s running fine. Thanks for everyone’s help, I really appreciate it!

1 Like

When using the web version of this program, I am often given the notification that another program has made changes or alterations since I last saved a scene. (I save scenes usually once every few seconds, so this would have to be a continually-running problem).

Has anyone else experienced this, and should I be concerned?

If you’re saving scenes once every few seconds, I can imagine there is some element of latency that is causing confusion. Do you really need to save your files that aggressively?

Probably a dumb question, but is there anyway to import text files to CSIDE?

I just got a new laptop and I’m figuring out the best way to keep working on my current project (which is saved to my desktop). Do I need to create a new project when I download CSIDE on my laptop and then manually cut and paste the text files into it? Or is there a more elegant way?

Just copy the project folder, and paste it into the CSIDE save directory on the new computer.

Then use the ‘open new scene files’ button, and choose all the files in the project folder.

2 Likes

Thanks! I will do that tonight.

I’m so excited about being able to code/write at the dining room table or on the back deck for the first time in 6 years, I’m not thinking clearly.

1 Like

CSIDE “projects” don’t exactly exist, it’s basically just something CSIDE uses to group together text files in the same folder.

So as Lady Luck says above, all you need to do is “open” your desired text files, just like any other text editor. CSIDE will automatically group them into a project if they’re in the same folder.

1 Like

Yup - It basically came down to me never having used the “open new scene files” command before. I had always just started writing projects in the program and had used the same desktop for so long.

1 Like

So I have a question @CJW
I don’t know if it’s been asked

One day I opened CSIDE only to find the last chapter I was working in showing weird symbols
It talked about encoding error

But it was showing text the day before

Did it look like so? File writes can be interrupted (corrupting files) · Issue #41 · ChoicescriptIDE/main · GitHub
Unfortunately it’s a known issue with how CSIDE handles files. I had put this down as won’t fix as it’s really rare, and a previous fix I had introduced other regressions. Basically something interrupted the file write, I think most instances of this has been attributable to laptops: batteries dying or sleeping at the wrong time.

I’ve re-opened the issue, and I’ll see about trying another fix for for v1.4.

1 Like

Yes it had to do with my PC battery dying

Thank You so much :snowflake:

The last few days, every time I open CSIDE, my project files are all set to invisible, and while it’s easy to turn them visible again, I would prefer it to just be visible by default. Is there a switch in the settings somewhere? I haven’t been able to find it.

As an aside, it took me several minutes to spot the visibility switch the first time this happened (during which I feared that my game might be lost); would it make sense to have it more obvious, at least when toggled off? :thinking:

1 Like

That’s unusual… I can only suggest closing and reopening the projects, but the state should be consistent (i.e. if they’re visible on close, they should be visible on re-open).

I’m open to suggestions for visibility improvements. Do you have anything specific in mind?

1 Like

Thanks; that seems to have worked.

As for the visibility, I don’t have anything specific, I’m afraid. At present, though, it fades out when it’s toggled, which does look better, but it might be easier to spot if it didn’t? :thinking:

1 Like

I’m trying to load my game (using the browser ver of CSIDE) to see how it runs but it keeps saying the startup scene doesn’t exist?
I made a new project file and it seems that the choicescript_stats would load but not the startup scene. Help please~
I am using a Chromebook.

Do you have the same issue if you create a new project from scratch? You could also try clearing your browser’s cache/cookies, or using incognito mode.

It would also be helpful if you could press F12 to pull up the browser dev tools, the next time the issue happens, and paste any relevant errors/warnings that appear in the console.

Yes I have the issue when I even start from scratch. But I will try what you’ve told me and get back to you. Thank you for replying!

1 Like