[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

No complaints here, but I noticed afterwards that it said I need a Windows 8.1 but… I’m on 7 and it works just fine :sweat_smile: Hooray!

1 Like

I’m not going to (be able to) help you until you answer my last question.

We’ve never tested on 7, and barely on 8.
Glad it works, but you really should upgrade. Microsoft no longer supports it.

1 Like

Ah, I apologize. Yes, I’m using the web version on a chromebook.

Red exclamation icons indicate an error loading the file, hovering over it with give you a tooltip with an explanation. Clicking this icon will “dismiss” the error and close the file (seeing as it can’t be opened there’s no point keeping it around). There’s no virus.

I suggest closing all your projects and re-opening them from scratch. Maybe even go as far as to clear your browser data and/or use an incognito window.

3 Likes

Just a little problem.

CSIDE doesn’t appear to recognize the *text_image command (This command allows an image to invert colors when the background is set to black).

As you can see in this image, the *text_image command is still recognized as regular text despite being a command, since it can still display the “STATS SCREEN” image.

Or is there perhaps a new build out that does fix this but just hasn’t been moved to “Safe” yet?

1 Like

I’m not sure I follow. It looks like it’s loading the image just fine to me? Are you saying the image is still black when viewing with a dark theme? If so, I believe that bug was fixed a few years ago: https://github.com/ChoicescriptIDE/main/commit/018f6eb151d3aeb53260b6e1c2abc71977d428e0#diff-989d94fb269e1d5e8cea524f0ca834e2fb1edbf53afb84212f5f680886304265

So the v1.3.X release series shouldn’t suffer from this, and that should be available on all update channels.

1 Like

No my problem is that the *text_image command isn’t highlighted in colors. It’s still white as if it were regular text.

This isn’t a huge issue, though it did confuse me a bit when I found out about the *text_image command. It’s mainly a quality of life suggestion to make *text_image in-line with the other commands.

2 Likes

Oh, I see! Sorry, I was too focused on the game panel.
Yeah, sorry, that’s a bug. I’ll make sure it’s fixed in v1.4, but I don’t think it warrants a v1.3.2 on its own.

Thank you for reporting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is there a way to view two scene files from different windows? I have used different IDEs before like Visual Studio Code and BlueJ and I really liked the ability to view different .txt files from different windows.

Is there a way to do this in CSIDE? I would honestly like to peer into my startup.txt file while typing out complex code.

1 Like

I’m afraid there isn’t at the moment, although it is proving a very popular request.

5 Likes

Hi i tried to import a game’s files from an email, it downloaded fine but didnt appear when i pressed import.

Any way to make the font larger than size 16? For some reason, my Windows Zoom controls don’t work inside the borders of the program?

Thanks so much for this wonderful tool! I spent over a month learning ChoiceScript without it and can say that my words/day is much higher using CSIDE.

I’m not sure I follow. You need to open the files like you would in any other text editor.

Not at the moment, although there’s no particular reason (other than needing a hard cap so things don’t break). How big do you see a need for? I can certainly look to up the limit.

So glad to hear :slight_smile: thank you.

3 Likes

What? i pressed import files and when the ‘which file’ window appeared, the one i wanted to import wouldnt appear. i cant copy paste it in either.

Not sure, exactly. Probably not much bigger, I suppose. But I can get by without it. Between eye strain and vision loss, I just have a hard time sometimes.

Hi! I’m not sure if this has been addressed before, but CSIDE doesn’t give any errors if there’s a bug in startup that isn’t a startup command (*create, *title, *achievement, etc.) before any choice or page breaks. This can be easily replicated if you type in a non-existent variable. The right side just shows a blank when you run the project and the error log doesn’t display anything.

You can just insert a *page_break just before, but sometimes I just want to test a short piece of code right at the start. It might also be confusing to new users.

Also, is it intentional that clicking on the console auto-selects all the text in it? It would be nice to be able to copy a single line of code from the console.

Anyway, cheers!

I’m sort of aware that there are some oddities in regards to startup.txt error logging, one example being:

And there’s this one in CS (another time when initial commands cause problems):

That said, I couldn’t duplicate your behaviour:

Screenshot

Mind sharing a full code snippet for me? And could you also check if it works once if you close and re-open CSIDE?

5 Likes

One quick question: what spell checker does CSIDE use? I think the only oddity I found was katana, it isn’t recognized as a word :laughing:

1 Like

It uses a spell checking library called typojs: GitHub - cfinke/Typo.js: A client-side JavaScript spellchecker that uses Hunspell-style dictionaries.

Which itself relies on hunspell dictionaries. I know the ones provided aren’t perfect. Actually, if anyone can recommend a more comprehensive hunspell dictionary (with appropriate open source licensing), I’d be very happy to swap them out.

@Fiogan we had a discussion or ten relating to this.

5 Likes

I figured out the culprit. Apparently it was *check_achievements. I put it on the startup because I was planning to put a NewGame+ feature.

Screenshot

Closing and reopening doesn’t help, but a workaround would be to just put the *check_achievements after a *page_break.

But then I also found something else while playing around.

This works

No error appears / clicking next does nothing when I comment out the variable

Error appears if *check_achievements is commented out

So yeah, it has something to do with *check_achievements. Having actual defined achievements doesn’t seem to have any effect either. This seems fairly minor with easy workarounds, but I hope this helps anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes