[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

You need to have

*create name ""

in your startup file, and

What is your name?
*input_text name

in your game text. The * is important, and all variables must be created in startup.
You don’t need to use *set name, it’s not actually doing anything in your example.

Also, I generally suggest not having your actual game text in the startup file, to avoid confusion.

1 Like

So just use startup for the *create and stuff like that?

Yes, think of the startup as the games database or reference sheet.

The commands there have to be in a certain order (*title, *author, *scene_list, then the creates, then the achievements)

1 Like

Sorry guys, but that’s not at all on topic. Please take it to #game-development:choicescript-help.

CSIDE is a tool that helps you write ChoiceScript @Azraeel. If you’ve issues with coding ChoiceScript this isn’t the thread to discuss them in.

8 Likes

Is there a way I can change the highlighting colour when customizing the theme? I can’t seem to find it in this thread.

*cside_theme_set { TOKEN } { ATTRIBUTE } { VALUE }

The values for which are:

*comment ## VALID TOKENS:
*comment  1. labels          ( and related: *gosubs, *gotos - etc. )
*comment  2. comments
*comment  3. variables
*comment  4. options         ( #Option lines )
*comment  5. csplus          ( CSIDE specific commands )
*comment  6. commands
*comment  7. page            ( editor background and the standard text )
*comment  8. spell-errors    ( any words that are tagged as incorrect by spell-check )
*comment  9. indentation     ( a line's preceding whitespace )
*comment 10. gutter          ( editor sidebar )
*comment 11. gutter-numbers  ( line numbers )
*comment 12. error-lines     ( lines that have caused an issue to be logged )
*comment 12. cursor
*comment 13. matches         ( word that match the currently selected word )

*comment ## VALID ATTRIBUTES + VALUES:
*comment 1. color           ( rgb(x,x,x), colorname, #HEXCODE )
*comment 2. background      ( rgb(x,x,x), colorname, #HEXCODE )
*comment 3. weight          ( normal, bold )
*comment 4. style           ( normal, italic )
*comment 5. bottom-border   ( dotted/dashed/solid | color (as above) | 1-5px )
*comment 5. left-border     ( dotted/dashed/solid | color (as above) | 1-5px )

Examples:

*cside_theme_set commands color red would make your commands red.
*cside_theme_set comments background #FFF would make your comments have a white background.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m sorry ;; but is there a way to connect the dropbox account to the desktop version of CSIDE instead of the web version? I’m a bit confused with this kind of syncing stuff T_T

Would it work if you put the project files in a Dropbox folder (do you have a local synced folder?) and open it (and work there) from the desktop CSIDE?

1 Like

I thought that requires the Plus vers thing? Something about the package and stuff.

As @brushmen suggests, the recommendation here is to use CSIDE in conjunction with the Dropbox desktop application. This should allow you to specify folder syncing, and thus automatically have file changes uploaded to Dropbox (regardless of the app you’re using: CSIDE or others).

Worth noting the same applies to Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.

3 Likes

That’s really worth noting :eyes: Thank you so much! :sob:

1 Like

What are the differences between this and the Notepad ++ usage? Which is better?
Student programmer about to graduate with a bachelor but I have not messed around with choice script or IDEs too much.

CSIDE is specifically built for ChoiceScript, so it has syntax highlighting and can run test directly in it that’s not affected by browser updates (which caused running CS no longer easy without needing Node.js virtual server). CSIDE web-version may be at the mercy of DropBox and internet connection, but at least it’s cross-platform. For most users, CSIDE local install would probably be better.

For any other text editor, the most you can get to help with the coding is some kind of syntax highlighting (VSCode already has a fan-made add-on for that, not sure about others). But you have the freedom and comfort of a text editor that you might already be familiar with.

It doesn’t cost you anything to go with either choice, and you can switch at any time, so why not try both and decide for yourself? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

100%.

Although when pushed I would say:

• New to scripting and/or ChoiceScript and just want to get to making a game? Use CSIDE.
  • Familiar with ChoiceScript and/or hacking/scripting about? You’ll probably prefer taking the time to set up your own environment/pick your own editor.

But then I’ve had people from both camps swing the other way. Many people use both, for example they’ll edit in a text editor and do all their testing/debugging in CSIDE.

Beyond that I should also add that CSIDE is a community tool made by a sole developer on his off-time (make of that what you will).

8 Likes

That’s me right there. :joy:

Thanks! :pray:t2:

2 Likes

I’m trying to program a game with CSIDE. I have three projects. Two of these show up on CSIDE, but there is an exclamation point beside each file, and CSIDE says that they “do not exist” when I try to run them.

The active project that I have will not export any files. Even if I wanted to move them offline (or anywhere) I couldn’t.

Can someone give me any advice on what may be happening and how to fix it?

For the ones that “don’t exist”, close them, and reopen the files.

I’m afraid I’ll need more than “will not export any files” for the second issue. Is the option unavailable? Does it throw an error? Etc.

I cannot seem to close them. I can move them around, but other than that, my mouse doesn’t do anything.

As for the export button, I click it and nothing happens. :confused:

What I really want to do is download my files onto my computer so I can upload them to Dashing.Don. But it isn’t downloading.

Are you using the web version of CSIDE, perchance? If so, best way to get them on your computer is by installing the Dropbox app (or logging into the Dropbox website and downloading them via its web UI).

If you’re using the desktop version, then your files are already on your computer.

1 Like

So now the active game I have that I am working on is frozen. I try to click on the files, but the computer says “path not found.” And when I clicked on the exclamation marks next to the files, they began to disappear! Did I accidentally download a virus or something?