[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

Ah, a valid point. No, there’s no clean way to remove that information currently.
Sorry, that would be an oversight on my part.

Can you let me know what version of CSIDE, and Operating System you’re on?
And do you have some code for an input box that triggers autofill?

I can’t currently seem to emulate the behaviour on my Windows install of the latest public CSIDE (but I know I’ve seen it before).

Once I reproduce it, I’ll try and derive a way for you to clear it (and will include a cleaner option in the next update).

Thanks for reporting!

3 Likes

Are you the developer of CSIDE? If that’s the case I want first just say thank you for making work in choicescript so much more convenient!

I’m running version 1.3.1 on Windows 10.
Here’s some code that would trigger it:

*comment truncated code of relevant parts
*create lastname ""
*create title "Mr."
"Are you the operator of this vessel, $!{title}…?"
*choice
    #Wu
        *set lastname "Wu"
        *goto fname
    #Guerrero
        *set lastname "Guerrero"
        *goto fname
    #De Sardet
        *set lastname "De Sardet"
        *goto fname
    #Everett
        *set lastname "Everett"
        *goto fname
    #I'll choose my own
        *input_text lastname
        *goto fname
*label fname
*finish
2 Likes

I am, yes. Glad to hear you’re enjoying it :slight_smile:
Annoyingly I can’t seem to reproduce the behaviour here, but I do have one idea.
As it’s rather unclean, I’ll PM you.

Can I thank you again for your awesome program? It immeditially points out mistakes I made. Spell check is really useful. Without this, it would be impossible for me to write a book.

2 Likes

Hey @CJW, just coming here to report an oddity I noticed while working at CSIDE.

The Problem

So, I’ve been trying to use headers made in GIMP in the stats screen using the *text_image command. Simple, right? Should pose no problems whatsoever.

NOPE. After I use a certain image, no stats coded underneath will show up in the “Test” at all. It goes complete AWOL.

So I tinker around a bit and found out that this only happens when you place an *if command underneath that image, which I did to hide the stats until the reader reaches a certain point.

My Code
*text_image about.png center About----------------------------------------------> *comment this is the image I'm having trouble with.

*if (intro_done) and (origin = "noble")
    You are $!{rank} $!{name} ${surname}, a 22-year old newly commissioned officer in the Iron Army who identifies as a ${gender}. You are the only ${child} and heir of Most Honorable Ronald ${surname}, Baron Turis and a member of the Iron Assembly. After the completion of your 4-year long training, you've been placed in the ${regiment} situated in Ostdale, capital of Ironcrest.

You have a ${skin_surface} ${skin} complexion, with ${eye_color} eyes and ${hair_style} ${hair_color} hair. People describe you as ${height} in height.

*stat_chart
        text primary_skill Primary Skill
        text secondary_skill Secondary Skill
        percent skill_level $!{secondary_skill}

*finish

*elseif (intro_done) and (origin = "commoner")
    You are $!{rank} $!{name} ${surname}, a 22-year old newly commissioned officer in the Iron Army who identifies as a ${gender}. You are the youngest ${child} of a middling banker, born and raised in Zaldan, the foremost port city of Ironcrest. After the completion of your 4-year long training, you've been placed in the ${regiment} situated in Ostdale, capital of Ironcrest.

You have a ${skin_surface} ${skin} complexion, with ${eye_color} eyes and ${hair_style} ${hair_color} hair. People describe you as ${height} in height.

*stat_chart

*finish

*elseif (intro_done) and (origin = "orphan")
    You are $!{rank} $!{name} ${surname}, a 22-year old newly commissioned officer in the Iron Army who identifies as a ${gender}. You were orphaned on birth and raised in an orphanage ran by the Church of Ru in the city of Zaldan, never knowing your biological parents. After the completion of your 4-year long training, you've been placed in the ${regiment} situated in Ostdale, capital of Ironcrest.

*stat_chart

*finish

*else
    Now is not the time to reveal thyself…
    *finish

*text_image personality.png center Personality & Traits

*stat_chart
    opposed_pair openness
      Open
      Stoic

opposed_pair vigilance
      Vigilant
      Oblivious

opposed_pair sincerity
      Sincere
      Sardonic

opposed_pair determination
      Determined
      Indecisive

opposed_pair likability
      Amiable
      Daunting
Screenshots

What it looks like;

Here’s what it looks like if I don’t use *if to hide my stats;

Extra Info

CISDE Version: v1.3.1
Windows Build: Windows 10 1903

Thank you for looking into the problem!

P.S If you can’t understand my English, I’m sorry about it. Sometimes, I don’t understand it either :sweat_smile:

Hi @moonfungus, thanks for the report.
Would you mind PMing me a full reproducer (startup.txt and choicescript_stats.txt)? It’s otherwise very time consuming to go through and re-create all your referenced variables etc.

The pictures would also be great, but I can swap those out if necessary.

1 Like

I don’t think this has anything to do with text_image, or the if.
I can reproduce it if I remove the images.

The problem is that you’re using *finish under your conditionals, so the stat_chart at the end is never reached.

Here’s a corrected version:

*text_image about.png center About
*if (intro_done) and (origin = "noble")
    You are $!{rank} $!{name} ${surname}, a 22-year old newly commissioned officer in the Iron Army who identifies as a ${gender}. You are the only ${child} and heir of Most Honorable Ronald ${surname}, Baron Turis and a member of the Iron Assembly. After the completion of your 4-year long training, you've been placed in the ${regiment} situated in Ostdale, capital of Ironcrest.

*stat_chart

*goto end_stats

*elseif (intro_done) and (origin = "commoner")
    You are $!{rank} $!{name} ${surname}, a 22-year old newly commissioned officer in the Iron Army who identifies as a ${gender}. You are the youngest ${child} of a middling banker, born and raised in Zaldan, the foremost port city of Ironcrest. After the completion of your 4-year long training, you've been placed in the ${regiment} situated in Ostdale, capital of Ironcrest.

*stat_chart

*goto end_stats

*elseif (intro_done) and (origin = "orphan")
    You are $!{rank} $!{name} ${surname}, a 22-year old newly commissioned officer in the Iron Army who identifies as a ${gender}. You were orphaned on birth and raised in an orphanage ran by the Church of Ru in the city of Zaldan, never knowing your biological parents. After the completion of your 4-year long training, you've been placed in the ${regiment} situated in Ostdale, capital of Ironcrest.

*stat_chart

*goto end_stats

*else
    Now is not the time to reveal thyself…
    *finish

*label end_stats
*text_image personality.png center Personality & Traits
*stat_chart
    opposed_pair openness
      Open
      Stoic

opposed_pair vigilance
      Vigilant
      Oblivious

opposed_pair sincerity
      Sincere
      Sardonic

opposed_pair determination
      Determined
      Indecisive

opposed_pair likability
      Amiable
      Daunting

*finish ends the scene, and moves onto the next one in the scene list (after a page break button), it’s probably rarely (if ever) appropriate to use that command from within choicescript_stats.txt.

4 Likes

Good day. Right now, I think I may have encountered a bug with the IDE’s ability to detect repetitions of the *create command.

In my code, I accidentally created the same variable twice.

*comment: In line 15
*create chapter 0

*comment: In line 173 
*create chapter 0 

However, I appears that the IDE didn’t notify me of this error. I found out about this because I was testing out the .txt files in the actual choicescript files to prepare it for a randomtest. Once I ran it through Firefox, I was notified of this error, which I found odd because CSIDE never told me about this error after countless amounts of testing. (Of course, it did catch a lot of other bugs.)

After fixing it, I decided to recreate the bug again in a code testing file…

*create var1 true
*create var1 true

Just as expected, the game ran through CSIDE perfectly fine and without error, whereas running this testing file through Firefox made it detect the bug.

I then assumed that maybe it only occurred if the two variables had the same value, so I did:

*create var1 false
*create var1 true 

Unfortunately, the game still ran fine without any error messages in CSIDE. I feel like this may be a bug with the IDE and I hope that this will be fixed soon.

I am not saying that CSIDE is bad. It has helped me a lot and it really cuts down on the time spent programming. It’s a good IDE and I hope that it will improve as it is probably the best IDE for choicescript right now.

1 Like

Hi @MonkeyLottery, thanks for the report!
I imagine you’re still on v1.2.1? If you go to the settings tab and set ‘Update Channel’ to ‘latest’, you’ll then be prompted to update to v1.3.1. This version includes a more recent version of ChoiceScript that’ll catch the error above.

2 Likes

I apologize, I wasn’t aware that there was a new update. Thanks for responding!

No worries at all, it’s way overdue that I moved it over to the stable channel.

2 Likes

I just got the new update downloaded and I can confirm that the bug has been fixed. Thanks!

1 Like

Wanted to update from 1.2.1 to 1.3.1, but received errors about corruption. Then uninstalled everything, cleaned out any cache/temp/AppData related to IDE, reinstalled the 1.0.1 x64 version (from the GitHub) and again when I want to update the latest 1.3.1 or even to the stable 1.2.1 it gives out this one:

Any idea how to fix this?

Edit: Fixed it.
If anyone has same issue, even if you have admin user rights, still need to run IDE as administrator.

1 Like

Glad you fixed it, but I’ll make a note to review those error messages… And/or try to make it so you don’t need to run it as an admin (that’d be preferable).

2 Likes

@Kefs, could I just confirm where you installed CSIDE? Was it in the suggested APPDATA path, or did you try to move it to “Program Files”?

Program Files

2 Likes

Ah, that explains it (and that’s actually why the suggested path is different).
Not a problem, but good to know, thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi CJW, I had a bit of feedback: The moving of the settings, issues, help & information and so on menu buttons from the top right horizontal bar to a work space fragmenting vertical bar is causing me no end of irritation since horizontal real-estate is already so precious with three panels open - having that quite wide vertical strip of nothing now dividing almost the whole screen feels very wasteful: they were better at the top. :pensive:

2 Likes

Hi Alice, and thank you very much for the feedback. Can I open this to the floor and ask if anyone else feels the same way?

The primary reason for moving the navigation pane is that we were quickly running out of space for additional tabs/features. An alternative solution could have been to shrink the buttons, perhaps. But I feel that might have also been less preferable to some users. Another thing I experimented with was the ability to hide/close certain tabs when they’re not in use.

However, I think longer-term there are much larger underlying issues with the UI in regards to screen real-estate. I’m happy to work with people who’d like to get involved in discussing and trying out such improvements, if anyone is interested? I have to be very careful about making changes based on one comment.

4 Likes

I’ll be interested to help but I’ll need to get into more lengthy scripting sessions before I am of use.