[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

Ahhh, I haven’t looked at it in a while (uni keeping me busy), I thought I have auto(?)updating enabled, but I see no version number, and the update notes (…whatever the correct term is, my brain kind of forget how to be coherent) don’t show anything 1.3.X, so I don’t know whether it’s working as intended or not.

Version number is displayed in the settings menu (gear icon). That’s also where you can enable/disable update notifications.

Quick Question: Is there any way to clear these suckers out, short of reinstalling the app?

01%20PM

Edit: Thanks for the help. Turns out it’s function + shift + delete on OSX and it worked like a charm.

While holding down shift, highlight an entry and press delete.

2 Likes

…oh, I finally figured it out. My auto-update settings were set to ”stable”, which obviously didn’t update to 1.3.x.

Funny how it’s always the smallest things.

1 Like

I’ve spent about an hour getting to know this program and I really like it. One thing is missing though, and I would have posted about it in my original thread but it was locked after just one reply.
Originally I was looking for a 3rd party software to use that I could jump to scenes with instead of going through the entire story just so I could test one particular scene. I have done lots to try to figure it out myself, but still can’t find out how to transition to a certain scene and test it.
I have used CTRL + T to find errors and fix them, but I would still like to see how everything is playing out for myself visually.
I was recommended ChoiceScript IDE by someone, but i’m not sure if it has what i’m talking about. I need someone that will clarify that it doesn’t do that, or that none of the 3rd party software has that as a feature and I should just “git used to it” lol.

1 Like

@SunnyDDoS just as a heads up, for questions like this, it’s generally better to post in existing threads rather than create a new one if your question can be answered in the existing threads; that’s why your threads have been moved.

To answer your question: CSIDE does have the feature you’re looking for: if you open CSIDE you’ll see a little symbol at the bottom of your “scripting/editing” screen that looks like this:

>_

It’s to the left of your word count, line count, etc.

Click on that symbol and it will open CSIDE’s console. You can type in the console to do a myriad of things to test your game, not least of which is *setting variables to different values to test them, and jumping to scenes and labels within your game without having to play through all of the text.

To do this, simply type:

*goto_scene [scenefilename]

to jump to the beginning of scenes (no brackets, just the name of your scene’s file like chapter1 or whatever you put), and

*goto [labelname]

to jump to any label within the scene you’re testing in. Note: *goto doesn’t work if you’re trying to go to a different scene/chapter: the label must be within the scene you’re currently testing. To go to a different chapter and a specific label in that chapter, use:

*goto_scene [scenename] [labelname]

(Again, no brackets.)

9 Likes

Thanks a lot! As soon as you mentioned the little >_ at the bottom I was like “wooooooooooow I completely missed that small thing.” lol

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I completely missed it too and asked the exact same question as you when I first started, lol!

1 Like

It’s not advertised very well intentionally. It’s mentioned in the Documentation/Help Tab. Very useful, but also extremely easy to trip yourself up with. E.g. accessing a scene with variable values that couldn’t ever actually exist at that point in the game.

Caution When Using *goto: Using *goto commands from the Console can lead to errors that could not exist in a standard play-through of the game. For instance, if you were to *goto a section using a specific variable before visiting the section where that variable is created or defined, the game would then crash. Use *goto and *goto_scene with caution.

- CSIDE Docs, Advanced Topics: The Console

7 Likes

I changed one of the scene names in my project, and now when I run testing, neither quicktest nor randomtest can open the newly-named scene file.

Anyone run into this? I even changed the scene name back to the original name, and I still can’t get testing to open the scene.

1 Like

I’m sure you’ve done this, but have you tried closing the project completely and then reloading it?

3 Likes

As Jacic suggests, fully closing and re-opening should solve such problems. Also, if you know how to reliably reproduce that behaviour, please let me know. Definitely a bug.

2 Likes

I just closed the project with Shift Control W (have never done that before). It totally disappeared from my list on the left side of the screen.

I then to open it back up, I used the “Open New Scene Files” command, but it brought up an older version, since the last time I saved the files to my drive, about 3 days ago, which is about 5,000 words. I feel sick.

Please someone tell me that my content hasn’t disappeared.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but of course, by closing the project we meant closing the files. Why on earth would you go 3 days without saving to disk? Obviously CSIDE offers no guarantee or warranty, but with any software you should not only be saving regularly but backing up to another location as well.

All that said, CSIDE will have warned you about trying to close a project with unsaved scenes.

tl;dr Yes I’m afraid you’ve likely lost that work, but I don’t understand how you even got to that point.

2 Likes

It happened to me as well once, my own mistake for not researching the software in detail of course. Mistakes are made to be learned from and now not only do i press save like a mad man now, but i also make sure to pack my complete work so far in WinRAR as a backup in any case.

On another note.

As far as i am aware, there is an automatic save feature. Auto save scenes and projects automatically every five minutes, if ticked within CSIDE settings, as I use it myself i saw that. Do correct me if i am wrong, or this feature is not working or something of course. @CJW

Because if it is not, i would like to double up my caution.

1 Like

It was stupid of me to close the project without fully understanding what that meant. That being said, I did see on the CSIDE instructions where it said,“This does not delete the project folder or its contents.” so I didn’t question that the files would be retained by CSIDE.

But yes I should have saved to my hard drive before doing it. So fucking stupid of me. I took off work on Friday and spent all weekend on this, trying to get the game to Jason by tonight.

And the only reason I did any of this in the first place is because of that bug stemming from me changing a scene name.

I’m going to be great company at my wife’s family’s house today for early thanksgiving. I haven’t been this pissed off in years.

3 Likes

I’m afraid I can only apologize, and pray that it doesn’t put you off CSIDE. But naturally, understand if it does.

Worked last I checked, and no one has reported otherwise. Definitely worth turning on. I don’t think it’s on by default, though maybe it should be?

Off the hard drive, being the unsaid bit there. Like most text editing programs, if you don’t save your files to the drive, changes will be lost on app closure because they haven’t been saved to said folder, and only exist in volatile memory. You’d have had ended up in the exact same situation if you’d had a power-cut. Still, if you feel I can make any improvements to the documentation here (e.g. be more explicit), or change any default behaviours – I’d be more than happy to look into it.

Can I ask though, was it intentional that you weren’t saving to the hard drive? And if so, why? It may be a use-case that I’ve completely overlooked. I personally tend to have a habit of pressing CTRL+S every few minutes, minimum. I’d also recommend working in a OneDrive, Google Drive or Dropbox folder. That way you’re both saving and backing up work continuously.

3 Likes

Honestly it should be. As i said before, i was victim of my own stupidity when i started with it. But i grew attached to this little piece of software. Besides…software is not to be blamed for my own lack of research.

But for ME it was not turned on automatically. And honestly, the answer to your question is…yes. Yes it should be. Perhaps to avoid future problems and headaches of people who use it to write.

It’s on in mine and I certainly didn’t turn it on. I’m not a fan of auto-save, I prefer to do it myself every time I’ve written something I like the sound of.