[CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.3 Now Available — 05/09/2022)

I don’t believe this is a CSIDE specific issue. Can you confirm this works correctly outside of it? Is this during runtime or quicktest?

implicit_control_flow may mask the issue, but if this is indeed a bug in either CSIDE or ChoiceScript, we would like to get it fixed.

Hi CJW, I really appreciate your software and it has been great to use it. I’ve seen similar comments, but I am struggling at the moment and wanted to ask you.

Basically, I imported my files to my new computer and after opening all the text files, some of the indents became spaces, but some remained tabs. In some earlier cases of this happening the program asked me if I wanted it to make all indents the same (tabs) or not, but it won’t ask me that now, and I don’t know how to tell it to do it. Could you help, please? I really don’t want to do it by hand.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Zederikus,

Glad to hear you like CSIDE!
I’m afraid that we removed that feature of CSIDE in the most recent versions, as it would occasionally do an imperfect job (i.e. make things worse than they were). Doing it by hand will be your best bet, or see if you can source your original files. If you’re really stuck, and you have a very large amount of files, you might be able to try a find+replace regex. This might at least mitigate how much hand editing you have to do. Feel free to PM about this.

2 Likes

One of the things I’ve come to immensely appreciate lately is the use of Macros in the Office and Notepad++ programs.

It allows me to be lazy and use shortcuts to type out common CS commands.

Is there any way for me to set them up or define shortcuts in CSIDE?

Not at present, although @Havenstone already requested a similar feature: Support for custom hotkey combinations · Issue #37 · ChoicescriptIDE/main · GitHub

The more requests I get, the more I’ll try to give features some priority. So thanks for mentioning it :slight_smile: I’ll make a note.

If you have any examples of the exact behaviour you would like to see, that would be helpful.

1 Like

This thread looks a bit old but it’s the one CSIDE points you to, so here goes…

A strange thing happened today :slight_smile:
I was playing around with achievements and I’ve noticed that if you have enough of them to make the screen scroll when you click on the ‘Achievements’ button when playing the game. CSIDE loses all it’s windows controls. Not a huge problem, I don’t play games with lots of achievements in CSIDE that often, but it is a bit disconcerting when it happens.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting this @lunawisp!
That sounds like a case of this issue, which I actually fixed about a year ago (I hadn’t realised it had been so long!). I simply haven’t released a CSIDE update containing that (and many other) improvements yet. This is because CSIDE is largely feature complete and reasonably stable (to my knowledge). I was waiting for a rather large feature addition/rework before releasing any updates. That said, it has been so long now… Much longer than I intended.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply CJW :slight_smile: I didn’t know about Github. I’ve bookmarked it and I’ll look there in future. Thanks, too, for creating CSIDE. It’s an invaluable tool. I couldn’t imagine using a simple text editor for this job now.

1 Like

Er… I’m not exactly brilliant but. What Im doing wrong? I simply can not acess the variable tracking function. Last time I tested my code it was pivotal to observe how my functions behave midplay. Did I forgot to read the memo stating that this function was removed from the new versions?

The “Variable Tracker” only ever existed in the very, very early original rendition of the CSIDE. It hasn’t been around for years.

Instead, it’s functionality was replaced (and improved) by the CS console.
You can read more about this under advanced topics in CSIDE’s help docs.

But it’s the *track command you want:

You can access the console via the “_>” on the editor footer.

1 Like

It may have been moved or deleted

This is an error message I get when I try to playtest my project (which I haven’t touched for months to be far - long story). But I can see the chapters in CSIDE, see their content and the files are still in the same directory.

Have I missed something?

Would you mind posting a screenshot?
But before that, just try closing the project and then reopening the files.

1 Like

Oh wow that worked! Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I just updated, as prompted, and now the program doesn’t seem to load anymore?
It’s just stuck at a page saying ‘NW.JS’.

Sounds like the update got corrupted/interrupted. What platform are you on? You can try reverting to the previous version, see: [CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE (v1.3.0 Now Available — 18/06/2019)

Then try updating again. Let me know if you’re still having trouble.

1 Like

Hi CJW, just wanted to run a feature suggestion by you. Would it be possible to have a scene file open in both windows? Being able to reference my startup.txt while I’m editing another scene so I can keep track of variables would be an absolute dream! The only workaround atm is to just have one scene open in Notepad++ for reference, but obviously that’s not ideal.

1 Like

I have a multiple editor feature on the TODO list: https://github.com/ChoicescriptIDE/main/issues/63. I think that would suit the same? Sadly no ETA at the moment though.

2 Likes

I agree that would be nice, but sticky notes usually allow for keeping the most referenced stuff available even when off of the startup.

That said, aside from this feature I really need to get a dual screen setup at home in order to truly take advantage of it. I have the monitors, just need a computer to fit on my Lenovo docking station.

1 Like

Unfortunately I need to reference around 40 variables at any given time. Sticky notes aren’t going to be too much help there haha😅

In really early beta builds we did actually have a “pin” function which would show an uneditable version of a file in the right panel (under a separate tab). I just feel that it’s a half baked solution to the real problem: lack of multiple editors. Rest assured this is one of the higher priorities…

1 Like