Cside freezes screen. help pls

Ive posted so much in one day I hope I dont get booted;;

I’m using CSIDE on a windows laptop

ok, so I’ve encounted a sort of screen freeze as I do a play run through of my story to make sure I don’t encounter errors and lo and behold, I have run into an error except this doesn’t have a red popup. the entire screen freezes, I can’t get the app to close out, it just gets stuck on this one particular screen

because this was a test run, the punctuation is not perfect but the text reads as:
"she doesn’t want to go.

my code looks like this:

"${He} @{plural don't|doesn't want to go.

the run through was running perfectly and had " next chapter"d over this screen before. now I’ve gotten this freeze 3 times. what do I do?

Can you post what all of your game files contain?

this is a little dumb, but am I supposed to show all scenes? am I supposed to write everything out or is there way I can send u a file??

You can post the project on dashingdon as private and put a link here. That would be the best option imo.

After you post the link here, anyone can look through the code by appending “/scenes” at the end of the URL.

dashingdon.com/play/sweetroll/mystery-of-benoit/mygame/scenes

edit: I even test ran it on my phone and it froze in the same place;;

The game freezes because you are missing a “*finish” command in your gendertest2.txt file. You are relying on the scene list for navigation and it’s expecting you to give that command I guess (This is the reason why the “Next Chapter” buttons appear without you giving any explicit command).

I added a *finish on its own line, saved it, and it still froze for me in this specific page:((

You have an infinite loop here:

*label male_name
*label female_name
*label nonbinary_name
*label input_parent_firstname
What is your first name?
*if (gender="male")
    *goto male_name

*if (gender="female")
    *goto female_name

*if (gender="nonbinary")
    *goto nonbinary_name

Place all the top labels below all the gender ifs.

3 Likes

ohhh ok, that makes more sense. it was working fine until I guess the code was like “wait a minute this is wrong”

can I still keep my *label input_parent_firstname on top or does that require me to go back and place it elsewhere?

you should move that as well because it will rerun the other code below it everytime you jump there and I guess you don’t want that.

1 Like

ok, done and done. it goes in the place below ifs and nothing but regular text is on the top of the page. thank you for taking the time to look through my code and telling me where it went wrong. I deeply appreciate it😊

edit: its still freezing…

1 Like

Where does it freeze specifically? I noticed that some of the files in the demo you posted don’t have *finish at the end. This is probably a long shot, but try adding it at the end of every chapter?

EDIT:

This may or may not be related to the freeze problem but here goes. If I understand the code correctly, are you trying to use the male_name label to direct the player to a list of names based on gender? If so, you don’t have to use a label for this purpose; you can nest it under the *if for each gender to make it simpler. For example:

What is your first name?
*if (gender="male")
    *fake_choice
        #Alain 
            *set firstname "Alain"
        #Gerard
            *set firstname "Gerald"
        #Constantin
            *set firstname "Constantin
        #Neither of these are my name. 
            *input_text firstname

*if (gender="female")
    *fake_choice
        #Elaine
            *set firstname "Elaine"
        #Jane
            *set firstname "Jane"
            *input_text firstname
*if (gender="nonbinary")
    [same code as above]

1 Like

I deleted my previous link accidentally thinking it was the duplicate I had. nope, i messed up. whoops this is the updated version. I genuinely hope it works😭

dashingdon.com/play/sweetroll/mystery-of-benoit/mygame/scenes

There’s a few indents and *fake_choice you missed in nametest. You should delete the fake_choice in the second line, it might cause errors. And I think you should switch the label and goto commands in case they result in a loop. E.g.:

What is your first name?
*fake_choice <- delete this
*if (gender="male")
    *goto male_name
    *label male_name
    *fake_choice <- needs a fake_choice to work
        #Alain 
            *set firstname "Alain"
        #Gerard
            *set firstname "Gerard"
        #Constantin
            *set firstname "Constantin"
            *input_text firstname

*if (gender="female")
    *goto female_name
    *label female_name
    *fake_choice <- put fake_choice here, right before #Choice
        #Elaine
            *set firstname "Elaine"
        #Angele
            *set firstname "Angele"
        #Josephine
            *set firstname "Josephine"
            *input_text firstname

*if (gender="nonbinary")
    *goto nonbinary_name
    *label nonbinary_name
    *fake_choice 
        #Claude 
            *set firstname "Claude"
        #Fauste
            *set firstname "Fauste"
        #Leonide
            *set firstname "Leonide"
            *input_text firstname

*finish

when I test run the game, it no longer freeze/crashes!! I defs need to clean up my code tho💀 as the saying goes “trial and error” well this was most definitely a trial and an error, but its technically up and running again!! thank you so much, I know going thru other people’s codes cant be easy or much fun, but I wholeheartedly thank you for sticking around and helping me out. you didnt have to, but you did so thank you💕

1 Like

No problem at all! The code isn’t very long so it wasn’t difficult to look into.

And don’t worry, many of the writers on this forum (like me, lol) are writers before they’re coders, so it’s a lot of trial-and-error for us. Keep practicing your coding skills and look at examples from existing games if you find something confusing. Best of luck with your project!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.