Crystal Valley University WIP (Updated 5/28/19)

In addition to the background lore of the playable species/race, I think having a description of the unique abilities each race has well as their average height and weight would allow us to visualize our MC better (or maybe a choice to just pick our character’s height in general). Also, I hate to be that kind of nerd but, what kind of Elves are we ? or have the option of being ? High elves, wood elves Dark elves/Drow ? A version of elves unique to your own game ? I hope this is helpful feedback and I wish you well on your game.

So does that mean the lycan’s don’t have a “normal” or humanoid form to revert to ? If so is there a lore-specific reason that they’re always transformed in their beast form ?

@CreoleGuy519

Not sure if I will have “special abities” exactly, but there will be stat boosts which will likely be in the description you get of each race.

I’m toying with logistics on height choices at the moment. That may be included in this next update, though I’m unsure what kind of part it would have with the actual story other than flavor text.

I may just give the player the ability to choose sub-races (ex: high elf), but I’m unsure it will be ready for this next update.

As for the lycans, it’s just the way I prefer them. There will still be ties to the moon in behavior, just not any transformations. Rather than lycanthropy being a sort of “condition” a human could have, it is an entirely different race with no relation to humans.

Also! I asked this question earlier, but haven’t gotten any response to it yet that I’ve seen. How would you feel about actually seeing a portrait of your character after creating them?

1 Like

To be honest I think it’s to much work and I would even prefer without a portrait. Maybe an opition to deactived it if you implemend this would be useful

I’d really enjoy making portraits of the characters, despite the amount of work, but I can 100% make it optional in game!

If it’s not too much work I’m sure much people would be happy to have an idea how their character looks like. It’s just not for me personally

On portraits: I don’t mind very much either way. It would be nice to have them, but not having them is no great loss. That said, if you’ll actually enjoy making the portraits, go for it.

1 Like

I like the kind of games, because I notice a lack of games where the player can choose the race they want to be. I see no errors to speak of. Also the idea of a portrait to see your character when you’re done is a good idea even if it’s optional. Btw bookmarked.

Just to clarify, I wasn’t suggesting super powers per se just something that differentiates the races in terms of the player’s experience and makes the playthrough unique.

It depends, if you think you can cover all the possible combinations of created characters players will create than sure go for it. I’m fine with or without though, I think that it would take a lot of time for you to work on those combinations and it might slow down your progress on writing the story. But if you think it’s really worth implementing that then go for it.

1 Like

I like and good concept.

Um, hello? A slice of life, character-driven college game that lets me play as a fae or an elf?? Hell yes!!!

Do you plan on adding hair and eye customization options? I love those, and it helps me set up the kind of character I want to play as right from the get-go. I wasn’t a fan of being asked straight up what my name is instead of it happening naturally, but that’s personal preference.

I’ll be following this one! :grin:

2 Likes

@beeanca thanks for responding to my baby demo! I’m glad you’re excited about the concept because this is definitely all of my guilty pleasure genres all in one! I may add the eyes and hair, though they may be limited by species. I’m working on integrating the name in somewhere else, someone mentioned in a diploma you find. Not sure how much of this will be ready for the next update, but I’m hoping to be mostly done with the character creation part by then.

3 Likes

This is super cute and right up my alley! Can’t wait to see where you take it.

I think integrating the name somewhere in the text, like through the earlier mentioned diploma or choosing it through your mom’s dialogue, would definitely help it out. Maybe you could add a few default names as well, for those who don’t like to type their names in?

Other than that, I’m interested to see where you take the races and how much they’ll affect the story and other characters’ reactions.

Good luck writing!

1 Like

Pfft, don’t call it a guilty pleasure! Slice of life is so much fun. I seriously love anything that is less interested in plot and more interested in character interactions. I think it makes for quite a story, and it can still hit you emotionally the same way any other genre can.

Do you plan on having ROs?

1 Like

I love slice of life and think it should get more love as a genre

3 Likes

Romance Options? 10000%! Got a couple in the works!

2 Likes

@Bizimo Agreed! I think it doesn’t get more recognition because it’s not as plot-heavy as other genres.

@Been :pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2:

1 Like

News for the next update: I was so excited to do custom portraits for every combination. Unfortunately after some calculations that’s pretty much impossible. There are currently 1.6 million different unique combinations, so despite the art itself not taking long, I don’t think my heart, mind, or body can bear that much coding. So! Unless anyone knows of a way to get inserted images to overlap each other reliably so I could just use the 48 files to Frankenstein a portrait, it’s definitely a no go.

Character creation is completed other than that though! So expect that for the new version!

2 Likes

:+1: :wink: got that suggestion earlier and added it in. i should be dropping an update today with a more fleshed out character builder!

2 Likes

Uploaded the first update!

6 Likes

I love the character creation, and your mother’s reaction to the excuses afterwards! (My favorite is the bullshit one.) And the names for the fast food places and meals are super creative.

I didn’t find any bugs through a couple playthroughs, but I did notice that if you choose an olive skin tone, it shows as “olice” at the end screen. Other than that, while the pages are fairly short and easier to read, they all tend to blur into one big paragraph for me and makes it harder to read in one go. If I could suggest double spacing it? It’ll show as a regular line break on our end, but much easier to read.

Can’t wait to see where else you take this and happy writing!

2 Likes