Craft of Writing: What is your Story's Inciting Incident?

That’s awesome to hear! I’ve really enjoyed learning more about everyone’s thought process re: where to place the inciting incident. I read all of them last night and this morning!

And if you’re reading this and haven’t posted yet, it’s not too late to join in!

(And I definitely want to start another of these threads in November)

10 Likes

Oh, this was a good question! Made me put some needed thought into what the main conflict of The Seventeenth Spy is – which is tricky, since I want to allow people to work towards different goals. But I think that’s the key to the real conflict: can you fit in this world? Besides all the missions and scheming and double-crossing, it’s really a story about finding a home again. AGIS doesn’t trust you; maybe you don’t trust them. Will you try to change that, or earn their enemies’ trust?

With this conflict, the inciting incident comes right at the end of chapter one, when you lose your original ‘home’ on the Delora. Seems like a straightforward, safe approach to structuring the plot. I could’ve put it in a flashback (which might have allowed a more exciting first chapter), but I thought telling the story chronologically would make it more personal. It seems to have made people more inclined to work against AGIS, too – I’m guessing because given the ‘normal’ context, people think of the mc as a version of themself rather than simply a spy. If I’d started later, in a place where working as an agent was more familiar, the first meeting wouldn’t seem as suspicious because you know where it’s going and that the mc will eventually say yes.

But… to any other character in the story, the inciting incident would be Sixteen’s treachery, the reason Seventeen exists at all! This of course, occurs outside of the player’s control so putting it in directly would mean a lot of space without choices. Really, though I love writing with a hidden subtext, and I look forward to referring to this event without fully revealing it… :smirk: It also, hopefully, adds replayability; moments take on new connotations when you know what characters are hiding and when they’re lying.

And this is exactly why I love Rena’s WiP!

And @EndMaster, I didn’t realize you were on this forum! Eternal was amazingly detailed. I like your approach to showing the same events and characters in different places/perspectives depending on the mc’s choices. The world is the same in every path, but the choices shape it in very different ways.

3 Likes