Cowspiracy: the Sustainability Secret [Now on Netflix]

This is literally the most important movie ever made. Watch it here: http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=80033772

"Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret is a groundbreaking feature-length environmental documentary following intrepid filmmaker Kip Andersen as he uncovers the most destructive industry facing the planet today – and investigates why the world’s leading environmental organizations are too afraid to talk about it.

"Animal agriculture is the leading cause of deforestation, water consumption and pollution, is responsible for more greenhouse gases than the transportation industry, and is a primary driver of rainforest destruction, species extinction, habitat loss, topsoil erosion, ocean “dead zones,” and virtually every other environmental ill. Yet it goes on, almost entirely unchallenged.

"As Andersen approaches leaders in the environmental movement, he increasingly uncovers what appears to be an intentional refusal to discuss the issue of animal agriculture, while industry whistleblowers and watchdogs warn him of the risks to his freedom and even his life if he dares to persist.

“As eye-opening as Blackfish and as inspiring as An Inconvenient Truth, this shocking yet humorous documentary reveals the absolutely devastating environmental impact large-scale factory farming has on our planet, and offers a path to global sustainability for a growing population.”

By literally do you mean figuratively?

No, I mean that I’m not exaggerating. xD

I have a very hard time believing you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Go ahead and see for yourself.

I mean, I guess I will at some point, but I don’t really have time for that at the moment. Can you give me some idea on what it’s about?

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d say they should have chosen a better name. Before watching I assumed it was some sort of mockumentary, poking fun at all the global warming documentaries out there. Instead what I found was a really eye opening look at an aspect of sustainability and climate change that I’d never thought about or seriously considered before. Really scary stuff.

I’m glad it resonated with you. Personally, I liked the title. It’s clever, and it’s very accurate because all of animal agriculture industries, the governments, and the half-assed environmental agencies are all conspiring together to keep the biggest cause of destruction on Earth out of the mainstream.

@Shoelip
The summary reads, "Cowspiracy: the Sustainability Secret is a groundbreaking feature-length environmental documentary following intrepid filmmaker Kip Andersen as he uncovers the most destructive industry facing the planet today – and investigates why the world’s leading environmental organizations are too afraid to talk about it.

Animal agriculture is the leading cause of deforestation, water consumption and pollution, is responsible for more greenhouse gases than the transportation industry, and is a primary driver of rainforest destruction, species extinction, habitat loss, topsoil erosion, ocean “dead zones,” and virtually every other environmental ill. Yet it goes on, almost entirely unchallenged.

As Andersen approaches leaders in the environmental movement, he increasingly uncovers what appears to be an intentional refusal to discuss the issue of animal agriculture, while industry whistleblowers and watchdogs warn him of the risks to his freedom and even his life if he dares to persist.

As eye-opening as Blackfish and as inspiring as An Inconvenient Truth, this shocking yet humorous documentary reveals the absolutely devastating environmental impact large-scale factory farming has on our planet, and offers a path to global sustainability for a growing population."

Hm. Heh. Yeah. I avoid factory farms as much as I possibly can.

Pollution wise and ethically, factory farms are worse than organic farms. However, organic animal agriculture is worse in other ways. It takes far more land (which equates to deforestation) and emits more greenhouse gases per unit of land. Really, the documentary is showing how all animal agriculture is destroying Earth, though it mainly emphasizes factory farms.

Well the land the farms I like to get beef from is on is already deforested. Used to be cloud forest though, so that is kinda a problem.

It’s a very big problem. I hope you end up watching the movie. It’s more important for the people who support the industries to watch it than the people who don’t so they’re aware of all the harm they’re causing, aside from the really obvious.