"Couldn't extract another token" What?

I tried looking at other topics but that wasn’t much help to my problem since none of those solutions seem to do anything. Searching the wiki for proper code format isn’t helpful(It has great information, but it’s sample code sections do need a serious update to make it better to understand.)

Here’s a rough code sample. It’s not the full content or dialogue and just a heavily cut, barebones version so it’s easier and more legible to see the exact coding and figure out what could be the problem. I have tried everything with the spacing on the *if variable already and it just doesn’t want to work.

That might be a bit complicated....so what does that leave me to do?
*choice
	*if (Spells > 30)#At least the fire can easily be put out with magic.
		On first glance, someone would assume aquatic spells have a natural advantage over heat based ones. 

....what the hell? All I was trying to do was round up my idiot and...

"Imogen! Give us that litt
		*set Spells %+5
		*set Humans %+10
		*page_break
		*goto fireputouthero

#Some magic can at least help the situation.
		On first glance,

"...made it worse." 
		*set Spells %+5
		*page_break
		*goto fireputout

*if (Command > 30)#Someone needs to have these oafs get their priorities straight.
		Making clear specific instructions to specific people, makes it much more likely that they will do as asked.
		*set Command %+5
		*set Humans %+10
		*page_break
		*goto fireputouthero

#They can at least be directed into not all getting killed.
		"Start a fire"
		*set Command %+5
		*page_break
		*goto fireputout

If anyone has any thoughts on what the issue with this puzzle is, I want to know. The general statement is that it’s not using characters from the English language…except it is. What am I missing here?

What program are using to code in and write in? My first instinct is either the “…”s (some programs auto-change those to something other programs don’t recognize) or the *if (Spells > 30)#: I believe there should be a space between the end parenthesis and the asterisk!

1 Like

I use notepad plus for writing. It’s easier to see what’s going on that way. The choicescript IDE, to do some quick play test runs.

It doesn’t acknowledge dots all the other times I used them. Which is a lot. Like thinking about it, more than a reasonable amount of them. I’ll cut back on that. That’s not here or there.

Edit; That worked! It was a spacing issue.

1 Like

The code snippet posted by Hex contains ellipsis-like triple-dots, which is perfectly fine in the context of programming. But even in this case, either true ellipsis character or the triple-dots are fine in CS. I use them both and plan to convert all the triple-dots to actual ellipsis.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.