Community College Hero: Releasing Soon

I found out about this W.I.P after you removed the link so I haven’t been able to play it :frowning:, so I’m definitely looking forward to playing it for the first time when it releases!!

Saw this article + it reminded me of CCH, it’s about how plausible is it in reality for someone to become Batman. : )

Geez I forgot to check the thread. Sorry about that.

@Echo, you can either keep your eyes peeled for an official beta this fall or else just buy it! I hope it can be released by the holidays but that depends on me picking up the pace on revisions this summer.

@Judyrp, thanks for the link! The injury issue always bothered me the most with “regular” heroes like Batman or Daredevil. I mean, just the pure math would dictate that a few of their hundreds of encounters with criminals would lead to at least a broken bone or two, laying them up for weeks or months. Your post got me pondering whether I should plug in an “injury” meter into CCH, perhaps to insert a little more tension and dissuade players from leaping into every encounter with reckless abandon.

1 Like

I’d like to beta test possible??

You definitely should make the MC able to be injuried I mean after all even super humans like superman, wolverine, whitebeard and others can get injuried and what would be cooler is if you can somehow make that affect the game progression as well and best part is if you can’t implement it in this game you could do it for the later installments.

@Ahmed, the HG-version has already been beta tested and there’s no active link to the game on the forums. I’m still working on COG revisions and likely will be for quite a while.

@Blackbeard, I think I’m leaning towards inserting an injury variable into the Part II. I was tempted to go back and add it to Part I, but the revisions are a lot of work already and my spare time for writing these days is very limited.

Thanks for letting me know bruv :smiley:

Why?

Will it add to the story?

The only injury variable I’ve ever seen, that’s actually added to the game was the one included in Way Walker’s 2. At the climax of Way Walkers 1 you have the possibility of getting severely injured in a way that should have consequences. Rather than this being represented by a health meter, you instead have the possibility of picking up one of a handful of injuries. Each of those have an impact on the second game in a way I found heart-breaking, and touching, and just oh so very well done. Particularly it comes up in the dancing scene where you might find that due to a limp you can’t dance very well, or that due to a head injury you have difficulty talking, or with your balance. Whatever love interest you choose, is very understanding of that disability though, and patient with you, in a way that’s touching. Those injuries reflect the cost of being a hero, of the sacrifices you made and I felt oh so very much more powerful than if you have an injury meter.

I do also like the idea of meaningful scars, ones that don’t hinder your stats but you can talk about, that get brought up, that might cause problems.

I’d say in terms of injuries less is more, especially in a story game. That realism isn’t always best, we are telling escapist fantasies after all. That yes, injuries can be part of the story, rather than glossed over, but I prefer when they’re made to count.

When it’s not a case of a health meter, and a Bruised/Bleeding/Broken/Crippled/Dying type health levels, that at each level make everything else increasingly difficult, but instead something that’s a significant part of the story, and its very presence actually improves things.

2 Likes

Then there was Choice of Dragon’s injury metre, where if you reached a certain number of injuries, it either had crippling effects, or in extreme cases, you died. I appreciated that, since it made battle injuries (and other sorts of wounds) have a real, sensible effect that tied into the story, much like @FairyGodfeather pointed out about Waywalkers.

Also, @HornHeadFan, a very late congratulations on the game being taken up as a CoG label! I’ve very much enjoyed CCH and I look forward to buying the revised version some time in the future.

1 Like

@FairyGodfeather, I mentioned it as a possible variable mostly because of realism and a way for readers to slow down and be more cautious. However, I’m using the insurance claim variable for that purpose in Part I and it might do the trick for future episodes as well, assuming I incorporate it correctly. I totally need to read Way Walkers. Unfortunately I barely have time to write these days, much less read other stories I’ve been dying to read. I’m halfway through Slammed! at the moment.

@Fiogan, okay another vote for WW. I’ll have to put it on my list after Slammed!. And thanks for the kind words!

1 Like

When do you think your game will be available? And will it be a Cog or a Hosted

I am really trying to get a 2015 release, but that mostly depends on my progress. It’s been slower than I hoped this summer because of my professional responsibilities. And it will be a CoG release.

2 Likes

can I be a beta tester pretty please

Just keep an eye on the forums this fall. I assume Jason will do his regular beta testing announcement, but it will definitely still be a few months down the road.

2 Likes

is there any way that i can play the beta cause the game sounds interesting but i haven’t been be able to play the beta?

1 Like

I’m also wondering that

I wanted to second what FairyGodfeather says. I think for a game/story like yours, story driven injuries with reactions from different characters make a more powerful experience. While I agree that a certain level of realism is important like Blackbeard suggested, the reader is already required to suspend their disbelief at least a little as it is a superhero story. While a health meter is probably easier to code, I don’t think it really adds anything game play wise as you already have the insurance claim system, as you point out. I really don’t think having two systems that are so similar will do much for the game/story while having story driven injuries would give added realism (which for me is more of a oh cool thing rather than a need), greater emotional attachment to the player character and your characters, and potentially a better story (if you can pull off the writing).

1 Like

I wanted to say I loved the idea of an insurance system. That it forces you to think beyond yourself. That it does make you deal with the consequences of being a superhero, they have an impact on the world at large, ones that are oh so frequently completely passed over in movies. It’s already a nice system in place that reinforces that you should be careful. I like it since it’s different.

OH MAN! It’s been so freaking long since I’ve been on this site. It looks like your CoG is doing really good, and although I missed my chance to play it earlier in the year, I’m super hyped for it’s release. Good job, man.

@jonnyboy666 and @Dino, the first post has been updated now to reflect the game’s status. Sorry about the confusion.

@FairyGodfeather, thanks for updating the first post. I didn’t realize it was so outdated and talked about beta testing. I can understand people’s confusion now. And I’m giving the insurance system more love in revisions. I know a fair bit about insurance and civil lawsuits so it’s easy for me to write.

@markamadeo, I agree entirely. I’m pretty sure I have plenty of stats (perhaps too many). My stats page is as complicated as the Heroes Rise one at this point and I’m worried it’s information overload. Anyway, I should definitely focus on weaving injuries and other setbacks into the plot.

@quan499, thank you my friend. There will be another round of testing down the road and I hope you can participate if you’re still hanging around.