Community College Hero: Knowledge is Power (old WIP thread, now closed)

No. Me and my MC say no. For one because we don’t think that this approach would keep the promise of an utopia…actually that this approach certainly seems to be the wrong way for a better future and second: My MC may admires the Smarts (if its truly them who come up with that idea), but that doesn’t mean that they trust them. Actually the Smarts start to seem rather hypocritical? On the one hand criticising Prestige for “monopolizing” knowledge and hero training but on the other hand not even be willing to share the own knowledge from their servers with another hero school…pff hypocrites.

1 Like

And how do we know that the authoritarian really has the right vision of the world? Just because they legimitaley think they are doing the right thing doesn’t mean they are. Their world may just be even worse despite their best intentions. Additionaly, how is this world supposed to be sustained. Is the authoritarian immortal? What happens if they die? Can they promise that all their successors have the same intentions?

You could also argue, that their goal would be a form of slavery. If they truly can control the world, they also enslave the world.

5 Likes

Thank u!!!
That’s been irritating me since chapter 1

1 Like

Yeah, I want to know exactly whose moral standard is being upheld here. Because privacy and freedom of thought are not among their values, and I bet you a dollar that the right to free speech and dissent is going to be the next thing out the door.

I just in no way believe in a perfect person, who 100% has the good of humanity in their heart and no ulterior motives.

Not to mention the uproar among religious groups who believe that this is usurping the role of God. I grew up among Christian conservatives who would immediately scream “Antichrist” about all this, and there must be similar people of other religious persuasions. How does the authoritarian propose to deal with dissent?

I fully believe that criminals should be punished, should the perpetrators be caught and the crime proven, but I don’t support 2 Americans policing the world a la Minority Report.

2 Likes

Well, that’s just according to Mega Cat’s rating system. Perhaps it’s outdated. And perhaps the twins have an ace up their sleeves (you’ll have read about him in “Zenith” playthroughs)

2 Likes

That looks like a freakin’ awesome article, but I’ll avoid reading it. I’d prefer to make my own legal analysis of various powersets, if it becomes relevant.

Actually, analyzing the legal issues in a Zenith world is my favorite thing in the entire story.

5 Likes

It sounds like the Registration Act. Hell no.

2 Likes

Would you trust Dean Tolly and Speck Community College with your important data?

Yeah I might be the only person playing this game who was excited to read the implications of super powers regarding insurance policies :grin:

5 Likes

No, you are definitely not the only one excited by the legal aspects of people with super powers. : D

5 Likes

That’s not the point. If the Smarts really would want to lift the monopolization about hero training to come to a more “collaborative approach” to use Booksmarts words, they wouldn’t just hoard their knowledge but try to share it with other heroes.

At least give them good intel if you don’t want to give them a proper training. (Hell with that informations the Speck students maybe wouldn’t end up looking as clueless and incompetent as they do now)

Edit: And it’s not like Savior wouldn’t have not one but two of their own staff at Speck to supervise their data…

1 Like

I also want to point out that anyone attending their school apparently loses their free will to some degree, and it appears to be due to the leverage they have on their graduates. Captain California is just forced to be a ridiculous stereotype, but what about the Hedonist? Was he always a disgusting sexual predator, or did the Smarts choose the persona for him? Why does he go along with it - does he like the persona, or is it blackmail? Do the Smarts know that he is preying on students? If not, how does he get away with it when they have this mind reading tech they used on us?

Just saying, when it comes to putting full trust in two people to be the moral arbiters of the entire world, I have a couple questions I want to ask them first. :laughing:

4 Likes

And them withholding (probably) relevant information from another hero school(!) out of security reasons (?), makes wanting access to all of humanity’s knowledge and private thought somewhat ironic…

1 Like

I just want to know when will my mc be able to kill the bad guys, you know, take justice in their own hands. So it can be like f the police, the police are not doing enough, time for me to take it in my own hands. I just want my mc to be a dark hero, the one who believe the ones who do horrible acts should not get time outs, but death will suit them alot better. Since then you dont have to worry about them getting revenge, but his own personal affair will be getting pay back for the deaths of the ones he love and protecting the people he cares about more than the othef people. I mean my mc cant be perfect per say

Personally the thing I would be most concerned about is, if this authoritatian was genuinely sincere about changing the world, how were they going to do it? Mind control? Blackmail? How far would they be willing to go in order to achieve this so called “Perfect World” and what exactly is their vision of perfect?

And like bobsmyuncle pointed out a lot of the things surrounding how the Smarts run Savior School is already suspicious and produces a lot of moral problems. Why force people into these personas? And this brings me back to the whole conversation between Nil and the Hedonist in the first CCH. Nil was furious when he/she/it(??) said something along the lines of “The Smarts don’t run this school.” And then immediately after Nil gets the boot and Captain California comes in with a brain reading helmet that gets forced on you no matter what. I mean the guy even knocks you out if you refuse to put it on right? The Smarts actions don’t back up their words. Anyone who opposes them gets cut from the picture and those who support them seem to lose their right to choice.

So honestly I can believe it if they’re promising to end all suffering because it would be pretty difficult to step out of their cookie cutter personas if they’ve got your mind on lock. And if you did, well it be just as easy to silence you permanently. All for the sake of the “Perfect World.”

4 Likes

I voted No,obviously.

Everyone’s entitled to at least SOME privacy (A concept which someone should teach to Prestige).Also,the Smarts are dicks. (hypocritical,supposedly forcing a hero to adapt a predator persona and sleep with students,etc.) And I’m sure Mega Cat is a Mega Cunt as well.

I just don’t trust these big time heroes.I mean,they’re dealing with a dysfunctional hero school that only has Grades 1-2 heroes (one of the Heroes are even powerless ffs) I’m sure they’d be too busy to help the school,unless it would somehow benefit them as well.

Which is exactly what happened.Smarts sent a powerful Hero to the school to look like they want to help,Mega Cat sent a person no one knew jack shit about to potentially try and steal the Heroes secrets to blackmail them,Smarts busted him and (instead of leaving the secrets of the Heroes to themselves, like a good altruistic Hero) took the secrets for themselves.

Basically,what I’m trying to say is that the Smarts are dicks and Mega Cat has a stupid name.Therefore,I will not trust then with my personal information,thank you very much.

4 Likes

Also,another poll.Cuz,why not?

What is your favorite Motivation?

• Self
  • Altruism
  • Retribution
  • Loyalty

0 voters

What is your favorite Hero school?

• Prestige
  • Savior
  • Speck

0 voters

I have yet to visit the other schools (I SERIOUSLY hope we get the chance tho) so i can’t really say for sure

Honestly I just really enjoy Speck, it’s got that great wacky underdog feel I love. I kind of think Prestige would be kind of soulless compared to what goes on at Speck. It’d be awesome of course, just not as funny. Not sure about Saviour, they’ve got some weird stuff going on.

2 Likes

Chosen “no”, since i sincerely believe that it is not just intellect, but free will and ability to make independent decision what makes humanity itself. What lets it advance and create. And protecting this from my point of view worth any costs that comes with it. Without this freedom, we are just relatively high-spec machines. And perfect society without it is just beautiful machinery.
I’l always chose imperfect, selfdestructing but living society that has chance to create something beautiful over perfect stale machine.
Is it selfish? Hell yes, and I recognize that those, who only suffered from such “freedom” likely would choose “perfect machine” route. And that’s their right, since i don’t think there are right choice here.
Wherever here are more “victims of freedom” or “protectors” of it will dictate what choice would be considered right by society at given moment of history.

Also sorry for bad english. Writing in it is not my forte :grin:

For example, i sincerely doubt that someone who legitimately and sincerely worked solely for the benefit of all citizens would allow precious human resources be “wasted” on something like creating CYOA-books. :joy:

2 Likes