Community College Hero: Knowledge is Power (old WIP thread, now closed)

Considering how the team itself seems to expect the leader to be in charge, that doesn’t seem easy to realise…And a leader still would be expected to make the final judgement, even when it’s just going with the majority, so in the end they still would have the responsibility. Otherwise why even chose a leader?

Also to vote may makes sense for general team decisions, but when it’s a crisis, when decisions have to be made fast and binding for everyone? In that case having one person with the power to make decisions makes sense. A true solution to connect that with more responsability around the team would be by letting everyone take turns in that position. There are team structures in which that works, but those are normally teams in which everyone could take over the work of the other ones if needed.
That’s not really the case for the Speck team with their individualized powers, coordinating them in a useful manner is a challenge also because they lack expirience. So I’m not sure how they would deal without a clear leader. Maybe after they already got used to each other and know how to utilize their powers in a team, but that seems like it will take time and guidance.

2 Likes

Well I didnt say it was a good system that would work flawlessly. I was just curious as if it was a possibility. As far as I am concerned my MC want to be the leader. Losing the first round to decide the leader only make this situation hilarious for my character. He would definitly gloat about finally getting the leadership.

I was mostly wondering because I could easily see a forced leader refuse to lead because everyone expect them to while they had no desire for it. In a way it feel like the MC would be used as a scapegoat more than anything despite them not being in favor of being the leader. Usualy when things succeed peoples like saying “Thanks to the whole team” but if it fail peoples usualy turn against the leader.

2 Likes

That especially happens in teams in which only a few if not only one person is ready to take charge if needed. That person normally ends up being the leader specifically because of that. Gets really bad when people confuse “authorized to issue directives” with “infallible” and “not to be objected, even when I have reasons to do so”. Then you end up with people in the end blaming the leader even when in the moment of the decision no one feeled anything wrong with the made decision, but afterwards everybody suddenly becomes an expert who “knew all the time that this couldn’t work” (Doesn’t change that it’s still the leader who made the decision, but still…no good atmosphere for teamwork)…Well, I wouldn’t be suprised if the Speck Team will end up working out such issues…

What reminds me that MC doesn’t even have the option to speak up and tell Tress if they have doubts in her decision. Not even to oppose her, just to give her the MC’s own assessment of the situation. I mean, it doesn’t seem that Tress would take something like that well, but that would be part of her problem and her insecurities… expect someone wants to actively oppose her to make her seem a bad leader of course.

7 Likes

Wow this is a great conversation! I do think the leader, whoever it is, would realistically consult with other members when time allows, sorta how Tress allowed quick input. Sometimes there’s time for debate and sometimes there isn’t.

And I’d argue that sometimes leadership means picking a course of action and going with it, even if it doesn’t end up working out That’s sometimes superior than being paralyzed by indecision and/or paralysis by analysis.

4 Likes

A little research for an upcoming scene…If your MC was asked this question, how would they respond? I know people will want to argue all the grey areas, but for the sake of argument let’s say you have to answer either Yes or No.

Q: Would you accept an authoritative central authority that constantly and thoroughly monitored all citizens’ activities and thoughts, and gathered and utilized all human knowledge for the common good, through the use of technology and Grade-10 Zenith abilities IF the governing body was legitimately and sincerely working solely for the benefit of all citizens to create a peaceful and egalitarian society free of war, violence, hatred and division, disease, hunger, abuse and neglect?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

It just proves that being the leader is never as easy has TV shows make it look

Problem is, if this is a world where the people in charge are so completely eminently trustworthy that this could succeed, then it probably means that the world is already the hyper-enlightened society that they’re trying to reach. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Hmmm…well it might just take one incredibly enlightened person. Or maybe two if you count her brother. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Problem is, now we’ve got to actually believe that they are incredibly enlightened. (And if it’s the Smarts, no, my MC doesn’t. Maybe Rain and Shine.)

1 Like

I would be careful about that particular question – it’s a loaded question Theologically speaking and I have an extreme opposition to being railroaded into a senerio that would even imply support for that.

Great question. I voted no.

My MC and I come to the same answer for different reasons. For her, as far as she’s concerned the government screwed her dad and she won’t give them that much control over her.

For me personally, I believe privacy is a human right. I’m absolutely against monitoring a person without a warrant, and monitoring people’s thoughts is a crime as far as I’m concerned.

5 Likes

Shine is the secret genius with godlike intellect. He just hides it well under a veil of incompetence and yellow spandex.

4 Likes

Well. I’m convinced. Sign me up for the brain probes, President Shine!

1 Like

Oh it’s a loaded question in many ways. And that’s intentional. I’m hoping for at least a 40/60 split one way or the other, basically a fairly close call.

1 Like

I love the point about the MC’s dad. Yeah the feds didn’t seem to do much to protect the former Dr. Stench while in custody. Those bastards! I can see that leading to an MC with anti-establishment leanings.

5 Likes

Well, the fact that you’re on the internet means that people are already monitoring you without warrant, and in some cases for far more nefarious purposes than the hypothetical perfect government that would be watching over you. It’s a question of how much you’re willing to sacrifice for the perfect world, and my MC is certainly willing to sacrifice a lot for that.

Now, of course, he’d have to actually trust the people who were given this oversight, which he almost certainly wouldn’t, even if it were himself, but in a perfect case, he definitely feels that the goal is worth the sacrifice.

2 Likes

[quote] Well, the fact that you’re on the internet means that people are already monitoring you without warrant, and in some cases for far more nefarious purposes than the hypothetical perfect government that would be watching over you. It’s a question of how much you’re willing to sacrifice for the perfect world, and my MC is certainly willing to sacrifice a lot for that.

Now, of course, he’d have to actually trust the people who were given this oversight, which he almost certainly wouldn’t, even if it were himself, but in a perfect case, he definitely feels that the goal is worth the sacrifice.
[/quote]

Yep, it comes down to the part in bold. And people generally waffle and say, “but how can we trust them?” But what if you were 100% percent sure they were sincere and capable of following through on their promises?

2 Likes

No, I’ve read to many dystopian novels for that. That’s pretty much the goal of the government in ‘Brave new World’ (though they don’t have superpowers to achieve that goal). You could argue they actually managed to achieve it. There are no wars and everyone is happy and healthy. I really wouldn’t want to live there though. xD

Aren’t the Smarts grade 9 heros though?

1 Like

And to those voting “No,” the proposed authoritarian might remind you of all the countless acts of barbarism and violence throughout human history, up to today. Hell, just think about the kids. Kids being molested by priests in the U.S., blown to bits in Syria, raped and impregnated in Nigeria, etc. etc. You’re unwilling to give up some freedoms in exchange for the “altruistic authoritarian” putting a stop to ALL of that once and for all? Isn’t that selfish of you?

2 Likes

Sure, people may be doing that already anyway (whether it’s the NSA spying on people, or hackers, or just a plain old stalker), it’s not behavior I think should be condoned by society, let alone done in the name of the “greater good.”

@Eric_Moser out of curiosity, because the game takes place in the US, will we be covering the legal developments regarding telepathy in HELL class? I found this post interesting regarding some of the laws that this is likely to be violating. I have no idea what the laws are like in the superhero alternate universe USA but I’d love to see it discussed in game! :slight_smile: