Community College Hero: Knowledge is Power (old WIP thread, now closed)

I remember Eric said something about doing motivation flavor scenes. They’re basically persona flavor scenes (the speech after the whole Wyvern thing on TV and a specific part of the meeting) but with motivations instead. Maybe in the Rycliff interrogation scene, his final question will be like “What motivates you?” or something along those lines. And that’s when the motivations stats kick in.

In terms of actual gameplay, I’m assuming the motivations will pick some choices for you. Let’s say you’re in a situation where you need to pick whether to help the civilians, go after the bad guys, help your friends or do something that boosts your reputation greatly. Rather than letting the player pick the choice, the game will look at the motivation bars and pick the option for them based on the highest bar.

That’s my theory.

2 Likes

I would haaattte that. If it’s something practical I’m inclined to be okay with the game making the decision–like, if it’s between my zap and my thud stat and my thud is way higher so the game tells me to physically fling my body at the enemy, sure, that’s fine, but when it’s something with character motivation involved I would so much rather end up doing something with a lower stat than having the game take control. Maybe something in the text before the scene would make my character change their mind about one of their motivations, or just something that happened right before means they’d go for their second highest instead of their highest … I dunno, I don’t like the idea of automatic character choices and I really hope it doesn’t go that route.

I’d be okay with flavor scenes, though, although we do already have some of that with the hero personas? I like the motivation bars, but it does seem like functionally they might be a bit like alternate persona bars. It might just end up being a fun way to keep track of where your character is going–or, maybe it could be used by villains for character-specific taunts? Which, since motivation is more personal, would probably hit closer to home and cut deeper than taunts based on persona.

I’m wondering some of the same things about the school support bars, since right now they also don’t really have an effect, but I’m assuming they’ll be a bit more long-term? Maybe have an effect on the epilogue your character gets, or relationships with bigger heroes when you start meeting them?

1 Like

Hey I’m typing hard at the moment, but I browsed the recent posts and I’ll just say that the bars are mostly to allow me to insert some flavor text, although when the game really starts to branch out in the second half of Part 3, I do see certain %s on certain bars opening up certain choices that might not be otherwise available.

Was that vague enough?

7 Likes

That opposed_pair are not opposed and would cause more harm than any possible good. Is second part of a series people already have a concept in their mind about how their characters are. They have already a mental cannon. then probably suddenly find a text that describes them as selfish and loyal. When they aren’t selfish they just don’t are altruistic enough in your stats.

If you don’t have time to make a flavor choices for each one as separate personality archetipes. Is better not put any flavor text about it.

Anyway, just my personal opinion. I don’t like being each time more and more and more restricted in my choices with each upgrade. So find out that game suddenly has decided psychoanalize a character by itself well I wouldn’t like found that.

7 Likes

Have to agree with mara, Empyrean tried to do opposing stats for the sake of it and it was a clusterf**k

4 Likes

It wasn’t really the opposed stats but the fact you needed a combinaison of two for some checks, and that was a huge mess.

To quote myself on that:

Now let’s stay on topic.

It was the opposed stats I was half chapter a girl that was known for my ability of pick locks. To one scene later not be able to pick a simple door. Same will happen here game starts assuming Stuff from a variables from other game that even didn’t have that stats for beginning

6 Likes

Mara’s point wasn’t that CCH would have the exact same issues, just similar ones, and I think she’s right. The four stats don’t really have natural oppositions between them, so having them oppose each other would make it feel weird.

There was also the game Treasure Seekers of Lady Luck where some of the characters had opposing relationship stats. It was a cool and unique idea i think, but then brought up issues of “well if I’m at 50/50 does that mean they both like me? they both hate me? they’re both neutral?” and I think something similar would happen here. It could force players to take on traits they hadn’t really planned, instead of having the freedom to pick the one or two of all available traits.

I get wanting to wait and see how it turns out, but I just feel like making oppositions doesn’t do much past overcomplicating a simple system that was already working fine, unless there were issues with it that I didn’t hear about

6 Likes

I’ve said repeatedly that I’m pretty much letting readers take (and succeed) at whatever path they choose. When you invite people to read over 120,000 words (estimate text encountered over series), the equivalent of 480 “real” book pages, I think you need to free them to make choices that ultimately make them and their character happy.

So please do not exaggerate or compare CCH to some other story where readers were locked out of many desirable endings. (this is a general statement, not directed at any particular person)

14 Likes

Yeah, I also don’t like the way it’s in the game. I also don’t like how altruism is handled. (I really don’t like altruism=serving others.)

I understand that it’s that way to keep it easy to code/treat ingame. But I still don’t like it.

1 Like

I would say Retribution is the most heroic since fights between the hero and villain are most important.Just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt

1 Like

Hmm does anyone else have something in mind for the tactician (or how I say discount batman) or doc stench route. We’ve talked about the Z-power the MC may get but never really touch the basis of the other two routes?

1 Like

I think I hinted about them about a 1,000 posts ago (they were in spoiler brackets and described possible endings for Part 2 for characters taking those paths) but I doubt I could find those posts again if my life depended on it. I pretty much have those two archetypes set in stone.

5 Likes

I do have a question. I know it’s been brought up that each path will have stats that go with it (like, if I remember correctly Dr Strench was Zap, Tactian was Hmm, and so on) so will my MC be in trouble if I want him to be the Tactian but he’s an acrobat?

Eric said earlier that each MC will be able to succeed at any path they take. I think it was said that some of the paths might favor certain stats, but regardless of anything your character will be fine

2 Likes

@Eric_Moser I can only imagine how Dirty girl will react to the MC becoming Doc Stench V2.

1 Like

Air-polluting battle couple’s here to make people want to step outside

8 Likes

I’d have to agree with you on that note concerning Stoic and mega cat being related, I mean from what we know mega cat is On par with lady ash in strength and threat level and lets face it stoic only loses to he Mc in book one via a jump rope so it’s reasonable enough to be plausible

2 Likes

and that was when she wasnt even really putting in much effort, as well

2 Likes

Work is INSANE right now (the other associate attorney just left Saturday to start her own firm) and I won’t be around much for the next few days/weeks/etc. But I still plan to get an update to everyone on Sunday.

And last night I figured out a way to subtly link my CoG Contest entry to the CCH series in what I think is a very cool and logical way, so I am very excited about that. Folks who help me beta test it at the end of the year will probably be able to figure it out.

13 Likes