Community College Hero: Knowledge is Power (old WIP thread, now closed)

My problem is less “I don’t like this guy” and more that allowing him as a romance could end up normalising, or even glorifying, his behaviour. Comparing with Prodigal again, she’s obviously in the wrong for trying to destroy a city simply to get revenge on a single man, even if you agree that her revenge is warranted (and are trying to get with her).

I guess I would not be as averse to allowing a sexual (but not romantic) relationship between the Hed and an MC who is basically just using him as much as he’s using them, though. But in this case, it still shouldn’t count as a “third” male RO, especially since the “second” male RO isn’t going to be around that much (and is a bit of a jerk himself).

7 Likes

Yup. It’s pretty much what I predict. That’s why I’m more inclined towards a new NPC, despite running the risk of them being totally unlovable or just boring (that’s subjective opinion, I know).

But nevermind because I’m actually loyal to my bae Mob, UNLIKE those cats. :weary: (autocorrect always changes “bae” for “bee”, I can’t even :joy:)

And in any case, we are all here to give feedback and help. Well, I’m not very eloquent and usually late to the party. :sweat_smile: But other fellas do give great ideas, or at least always back up with arguments. And while it’s impossible to please everybody, I doubt anything widely considered problematic will hit the appstore.

P.S. MY NIL SENSEI!! :cry: Actually, I take that back. My flat ass ain’t loyal at all.

I honestly hate the hedonist but thats why i think its such an amazing idea to add him as a RO. Iv never played a game where iv actually hated one of the RO which is weird if you think about it, think of how many people go out with douches in real life. I mean people stay with people who beat them or molest children or those women who fall in love with serial killers. Weird messed up relationships are fairly common in real life but never in video games and i think this would be an amazing place to start. Its not like he’s actually evil, he’s not going to kill anyone, he’s not going to beat or abuse the MC if they get into a relationship with him. He’s just a douche who abuses his power to feed his ego, which honestly some people do find attractive, not me though if theres ever a kill the hedonist option ill take it in a heart beat but id still like to see other people be able to play the way they want and for someone to try something new in gaming

On the one hand, I see your point. In real life, relationships are messy, go through problems and argue a lot. And I would be lying if I said that I don’t find tempting the idea of a romance that dares to explore a less idealized version of romance. And I think that CCH might have some potential with some of the already existing relationships, since Mob has some insecurities, Tress has some insecurities and Crook has some… well… issues… You get the idea!
And exploring this problems in a romantic path migh allow to expirience a type of romance that, although it’s less idealized, it might be also more rewarding.

THAT SAID, exploring an abusive relationship is a whole other issue. It’s not like there is no value in the idea of portraying that, and certainly, It ould be interesting doing so in a game. But, how to say this… I’ve already expressed my ideas about some of the tone problems of the game and I highly doubt that this superhero adventure series is the right place to explore that kind of relationships.

I’m sure that Eric has good intentions and he’s only acting as the poll suggest, but the idea of the Hedonist romance entails some unfortunate implications.

5 Likes

Well even though i really dislike the character i honestly dont see any potential relationship with him actually being abusive. I see him as being very domineering and it being all about him in a relationship but i dont think he would feel the need for violence i mean its been said he can jump 630 feet! The average human can jump around 3 feet and with alot of training they can learn to jump about 6 feet and the world record being 8. So he’s just over 100x stonger then a very well trained athlete so at most he could use mabey just over 3% of his strength before killing his partner. And i dont see a guy who’s angry anuff to beat his partner having anuff self control to only use 3% or less and he’s meant to be at least 30 so if he did have abusive relationships there would just be a trail of dead bodys and i dont see the smarts letting something like that stand no matter how usefull he is to them. So i think any relationship with the MC wouldnt be abusive just really weird and kinda creepy but hey some people seem to be into that kind of thing

Well my marathon lasted two hours last night. I swear, even in my 30s, I could stay up to 1 or 2 and be functional the next morning. I’m firmly in the realm of “needs 7 hours of sleep bare minimum” land now.

I’ve read the comments about the romances, and one of my non-negotiables is that Stunner be the only long distance thing. I want the other ROs to actually be physically around the MC. Choices like the Smarts, or Mega Cat, or Nil, just aren’t realistic in that those characters are either a billion times over the MC’s level, only appearing in a few scenes, or both. It would be too weird plotwise to just to justify writing in a “romance” with a 19-year-old nobody MC and one of the most powerful people in the world (also a worldly adult probably twice the MC’s age). It would be like Captain America or Superman meeting some nobody rookie and then “romancing them.” It just doesn’t make any sense. They are on two totally different levels.

I was/am willing to make an exception for Hedonist because: 1) he’s physically there with them almost constantly, 2) has already crossed ethical lines, 3) is seriously flawed as a person, which makes things more interesting.

I don’t want to use certain students as ROs for various reasons that I must keep to myself. Really, the only other male RO I was considering is Quickie, because I think “dating the guy who basically rallies the rest of the school against your elite little team” could be interesting. Plus he has a swimmer’s build and those cool swimmer’s goggles.
And I hope his objections to your group acting like they are the only ones who matter ring at least a little true, because they’re supposed to.

23 Likes

It’s not physical abuse what concerns me.

Ufff… Listen I get it but…
I think your original poll lacked certain nuance. There are things that concern me about him specifically. So I would like to propose a new one to clarify this issue.

How do you feel about the Hedonist as a RO?

• I am against the Hedonist as a Romance option.
  • I don’t mind if he becomes a Romance option.
  • I am in favour of the Hedonist as a Romance option.
0 voters
3 Likes

I think its weird how much of a big thing the whole hedonist thing gets sometimes. If you dont like the idea of a RO with the hedonist then by all means dont play through that part of the game but dont you think it would be weird if it wasnt included if as many as 28%, over a full QUATER of players! want the RO, the 40% who are against it can just choose not to RO the hedonist and make there MC’s desdain for him known in the game and boom problem solved. You get to tell him you hate him, they get to tell him they love him everyones happy

5 Likes

I like this person’s dynamic; the dynamic established with Hedonist is already tainted in many people’s opinion and while I agree that he (Hedonist) [quote=“Eric_Moser, post:3296, topic:12179”]
is seriously flawed as a person,
[/quote]

and that he

I disagree that as a Romantic Option this: [quote=“Eric_Moser, post:3296, topic:12179”]
makes things more interesting.
[/quote]

As a character to be developed and explored in the reader’s world, that is on one level but when you throw the parameter of a romantic relationship into the mix, the threshold to prohibit such an exploration should be much lower.

I’ve stated this long ago and am only restating things because as @ParrotWatcher indicated the (re)consideration of him as a RO reopened the case. I won’t go farther or repeat over and over what I’ve said, I just hope you seriously take time to consider my position and contemplate the over-arching concerns and ramifications of making Hedonist a RO.

5 Likes

glances at the streetsmart shrine in the corner
Welp looks like MC is going to be Crook only now…

Also I know how Eric said the traitor was going to vary on playthroughs does that mean that you’re Ro can be the traitor or only non romanced characters can be the traitor? Because the ro being the traitor could be rather interesting.

Eric-senpai rejects you harder than crook ever does.

As a pure guess, it’d probably work like The Red in Lucid’s Lost Heir trilogy: the traitor’ll be whoever your relationship value is lowest with unless your lowest RV is with your romance option.

I totally do think about things you folks say. I’ve tweaked many elements of the story due to feedback here. In all honesty, the 50 or so folks who routinely post on the thread get an astonishingly disproportionate amount of my attention, as compared to the audience as a whole, most of whom I can’t directly reach.

50 (estimate) routine posters divided by 25,000 (estimate) readers = you folks are .2% of my readership.

And you folks, more than any other group, have provided story-changing input over the past few years.

That being said, there is still that 99.8%of the audience I have to consider! :slight_smile: And I do get emails, FB messages, etc., from folks who aren’t on the forum and whose opinions I consider.

(*I think I calculated the math right EDITED TO ADD, Thanks @MockTurtle)

11 Likes

Not to be pedant but it’s a 0,2%

And, to be fair, I think that most people in the forums back up their arguments pretty well. It’s not just sharing what we want as an audience, but also what concerns us from a critical viewpoint.

5 Likes

I guess if I can’t convince you I can’t convince you–but that said, watch me do a no-RO run and headcanon that my MC and Booksmart get together after the epilogue and keep on shipping it anyway

I was under the impression that they’d be appearing in Part 3 somewhat prominently depending on your self improvement path? Since earlier on you mentioned having epilogues where Mega Cat’s prison is what holds the only guy who knows where the Dr Stench armor is, and Booksmart has some tech that would make you the ultimate tactician (although there’s a lot of text in Part 2 that suggests you’d be getting your powers from Booksmart, so you might’ve reconsidered that one) I figured depending on your choices you could get a lot of interaction with a big hero.

In fairness to the “nobody” MC, they’re apparently gonna eventually be able to be a part of and potentially leading a team that takes down the D12, so even if power-wise yeah they aren’t on the same level, they still have a lot of clear potential. And going off my last point, helping the MC working towards a goal could offer ample time for getting to know each other

And WRT the Hedonist romance, I’ve made it abundantly clear what I think of him and every interaction he has with a student, and as is in the game I’m already pretty unhappy with how little we get to disapprove of him–no matter what choices you make the guy suffers zero repercussions, your only real options are to be ambivalent or to like him, and adding an option to like him more without adding the ability for him to face actual consequences for his objectively terrible actions would feel incredibly unbalanced.

As well, I wanna second everything that @MockTurtle, @Eiwynn and @ParrotWatcher have said.

4 Likes

Uh… It’s still wrong…

This might be an American/European thing but what I meant was…

0.2 vs 99.8

Not 0.02 vs 99.98

Everybody thinks we’re nobody, well… just wait until we show up those damn villains with the power of chemistry, delivered straight to their faces! :stuck_out_tongue: I’m playing my character as definitely feeling a little overlooked, and itching to “prove” themselves (never mind our MCs have already proven to actually be heroic during the hospital…)

1 Like

In America we don’t concern ourselves with such frivolous matters as accurate calculations.

13 Likes

Izzat why you still use the imperial system?

5 Likes

But, think about all that you’ve learned today…

Now, if you don’t mind I’m going to take a walk a few metters away.
So I can enjoy this beautiful day of 15/04/2017.

7 Likes

Life is just so much more… free… when you use Freedom Units :wink: Land of the Free (from metric tyranny!) and Home of the Brave (you gotta be with our tolerances…)

1 Like