Community College Hero: Releasing Soon

I cant wait for it, and im new to this thread, only heard about it yesterday, but reading posts made me hyped!

Hyped about the game and you haven’t even played the demo? That’s a fan right there.

enquirin if It still beta test the game if so send the betta

I’ll need to be somewhat vague re: revisions from here on out, but I think posting once in a while will help keep me moving forward, especially since I’m so accustomed to doing so.

This week’s tasks in revisions:

Jazz up Capture the Flag to make the scene it more exciting and balanced.

Tweak the MC’s first interactions with Tress and Stunner.

Make Stoic romanceable. just kidding!

I haven’t been on here in awhile so I don’t know what’s new. I’ve pretty much stopped coming on here when you announced that a website for the game’s coming along since I thought the game would be up soon. I guess I’ll just have to wait a little longer since you’re still tweaking it!

Welcome back since you haven’t been around recently!

I’m still tweaking the story only because CoG has recently agreed to work with me on converting Community College Hero into an official CoG. That process requires a lot of revisions, as CoG has their own specific standards far above and beyond the (very) minimal standards for HGs. So that’s what I’m doing right now.

I probably won’t work on the website until at least this first round of revisions is completed but here’s the Facebook link:

3 Likes

Congratulations on getting picked up by CoG! Hope the revisions don’t give you too much stuff to do.

Hmm, was just wondering, would the different parts of the game be separated like heroes rise or would they be in the same app with purchases to the rest of the story in the app itself like zombie exodus?

Also, since stoic isn’t going to be romanceable in part 1, would we be required to get close to her in part 1 to romance her in part 2 (if she becomes an ro) :open_mouth:

I’m hoping that this comes out this month, but I just have to wait, but what do you have to improve for them to publish it?

@orkwut, thanks, I’m rather excited about the project. To me, the name of the game is exposure. Anything that gets CCH more exposure is a huge plus so I’m willing to put in the extra work to make it happen. And the parts of the trilogy will definitely be separated like with Heroes Rise. I’m not sure about Stoic. CoG will obviously have input on the story itself, and I would hope customer feedback would also help guide that decision. I know many forum folks would love to see that.

@NukeboomV2, I’m not sure about the time frame, but I do know that publication is still months down the road. CoG has certain stylistic and gameplay requirements that the Hosted Games-version of CCH did not meet. It’s not a matter of making a few tweaks. Essentially I need to work my way through the entire story, making revisions every step of the way. Since CCH is over 175,000 words at this point, it’s a lot of work.

Ah, what I meant was that, suppose a character isn’t an RO in part 1 but becomes an RO in part 2, would we need to have a good relationship with them in part 1 in order to romance them? What I mean is, would the relationships in part 2 be dependent on that in part 1?

I might be getting ahead of myself here with the questions since part 1 isn’t out yet and I’m already worried about part 2 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think that’s a tough decision and I’ll likely speak with other authors who have written multi-part HGs or CoGs.

On one hand, decisions/relationships in part I have to mean SOMETHING moving forward to part II, or else it feels like nothing you did had impact.

On the other hand, readers might find it REALLY annoying if they were forever locked out of a certain character relationship or storyline in parts II and III solely because of a few choices they made in part I.

I’m sure that, as with many things, there is a middle ground.

1 Like

Can you talk about what you had to change at all? Sounds pretty interesting if a lot of work.

Well, the biggest revision task boils down to improving the choices. Even during the (lengthy) beta testing, the most common “wish” from testers was for some more difficult choices. I knew that was the weakness of the game. There weren’t enough choices that made you pause and carefully consider pros and cons. I had carried the “light and breezy” theme of the narrative into the choices themselves by neglecting to provide tough decisions.

So I’m adding and rewriting options so that each choice has at least 3, and sometimes 4, reasonable options; and the options will affect some combination of persona, motivations, relationships and resources (I’m striving to also incorporate the stipend and the insurance claims much more effectively). Some choices are being rewritten entirely.

This is my first time writing a story of this length, let alone an interactive story, so I’m appreciative of all I learn about storytelling and game design along the way.

3 Likes

Can we have a fact teaser, like info about the characters for all of us who never played the demo, and the background, just so we can read that 99999173 times to get us to the day it comes out quicker?

I don’t know if I should give any sort of detailed summary (if such a thing exists), but generally speaking, the MC is studying to become a hero at a newly created bottom-of-the-rung hero-training community college in the American Midwest.

There is a large cast of characters, including classmates, faculty, other more established heroes, and a group of villains. The overall tone is pretty light - the story doesn’t take itself super seriously. Themes to be explored in the story include friendship and loyalty, revenge, altruism and the pursuit of power.

So I am probably in the minority here but I am genuinely surprised that they said you need to improve your choices. I think I have played pretty much all the CoG games and the hosted games and I can say without a doubt, your game offered the most ‘difficult choices’ I have had to make. I was a part of the beta so I won’t go into any details, but there were quite a few times that I had to stop and think, shoot what should I do. Those choices were thought provoking making me internally wrestle with issues like morality vs success of my character, etc.

If by ‘difficult choices’, they meant choices that make a difference for the story I would think you are alright on that front as well. Most of the games on this website follow a path that every player hits each chapter they just have small differences how you get through the story. In Zombie Exodus, no matter what you do (unless you die I guess) you are going to make it to Zombie Exodus in part 5 and hit all the missions as you get there. Same with Showdown at Willow Creek. Don’t get me wrong. Showdown is probably my favorite released game and I am not being critical. I think most players understand that for something like this to a certain extent you are going to be railroaded. Again I’m trying not to get into spoilers but I think you probably have an edge in this regard anyways because a certain decision you make in-game where you choose a group changes the content you have in a couple chapters fairly drastically. As much as I think it would be awesome to be able to have a starting choice where I gather up all the heroes and we take a rocket to the moon and have a completely different story I understand that having that much flexibility is not possible (sorry for the spoiler :slight_smile: ).

If by ‘difficult choices’, they meant not enough choices are based on stats I can understand that. Most of the other games here force you to kind of specialize in a certain way you deal with ‘stat encounters’. While you have that, most of the stat changes in the game have more to do with relationships and variables for decisions than +5 Strength or Charisma or whatever. I’ve been lurking for a while and I remember towards the beginning of the development your game was more like that. I can’t remember the specifics but I recall you saying something along the lines that it became unmanageable because players might not always want to choose the most ‘optimal’ option or whatever. Have you changed your mind? Again I am probably in the minority but I think I prefer your style based on relationships and variables for decisions. I like the other games too, but I think your style fits your story better and the tone and theme of the game.

Regarding your wish to get more exposure, I completely understand that desire and I think its probably wise. I think exposure probably trumps everything else (especially since its your first game right?) even if you had to make significant changes to the tone, theme, or story (and I am not trying to imply that you are). But quite frankly I am of the opinion that you should be offering the CoG people advice on how to make ‘difficult choices’ and not the other way around. Regarding people in beta asking for more difficult choices I think you might be misinterpreting it. I can’t remember but I was probably one of them, and I can only speak for myself, for me it was that you do it so well that I wanted more. I felt you had plenty of difficult choices and the number was just right for a game/story of this size. I have the feeling that even if you spent another 5 years making more choices, people are going to still want more ‘difficult choices’. Its because your game and choices are thought provoking and it spurs people imaginations so they are going to want to ask if you thought of letting our characters do this or that. Obviously if you spend more time making more, its just going to make the game better and I look forward to seeing that.

Anyways thats my two cents for what its worth.

3 Likes

I really appreciate your thoughtful “defense” of the Hosted Games version of the game. It means a lot that you give such a thorough analysis of the issues being discussed.

First of all, you and I are on absolutely the same page regarding the choices that lead to totally different (and extended) branches in the narrative. As you know, the first half of the game has one such choice, as does the second half of the game. I really like those choices too because I think they give the game much greater replayability. Combined with different study group options and dating options, I think you could reread CCH and encounter up to 20%-30% new text which I think creates a new reading experience.

I’m a little disappointed when I reread a CoG/HG and realize that I’m reading a story that’s 95% the same as the first reading.

The choice changes being made will make the game more enjoyable, I promise! For example, the Hosted Games version used a lot of fake choices when asking the reader about her thoughts and opinions. I now realize that was a huge wasted opportunity. Why not make them real choices and track the reader’s actual opinions on issues, the different hero schools, and even the villains? It should lead to a more consistent character with better defined motivations.

And don’t worry, relationships will still be a huge part of the game. Hell, they will still drive the story. For me, developing relationships are easier to write/code than “maxing stats,” so I’m going with what I think is my strength. But I will also learn how to strengthen the game mechanics, and that is a good thing.

There will be a CoG beta testing period down the line, and I hope you take part in it! I’d love to hear your comments about the improvements once they’re mostly done!

7 Likes

Well if there’s a beta test for this game down the line hopefully I will be able to join since I was part of the beta testets for the HG version sure do look forward to the changes.

Is it possible to still beta test?

@blackbeard, I hope you can participate too!

@Dino, CoG will decide when beta testing occurs. It will be down the road. Just pop into the forums once in a while to check.