Community College Hero 3: All Things End (Call-Out for a Co-Writer: Post #1269)

power nullification is extremely dangerous against people who rely on their powers that power alone either makes the fight even or gives you the advantage considering how the MC is adept at other forms of combat. i also believe im correct in saying with that power you can bring downfall to a point where she can only fight you with whatever combat she knows and not the mass array of powers at her disposal. And the Dr. Stench suit was effective, effective enough that even the Dozen noticed the MCā€™s father. That suit with further modifications can incapacitate probably the strongest heroes and villains.

2 Likes

I thought the Authorā€™s Note on the first page of the link was pretty clear.

Authors have the right to ask for a certain type of feedback. In fact, I think itā€™s far wiser for the author to say, ā€œThis is what Iā€™m asking for/This is what I find helpful,ā€ and ā€œThis is what Iā€™m not asking for/This is what I donā€™t find helpful.ā€

So to be clear, Iā€™m not looking to ā€œundoā€ any central element of the plot or the mechanics.

• Iā€™m keeping the three power paths as they are.

• Iā€™m keeping mechanics as they are. Iā€™m using fairmath for primary stats, relationships, yay, and ouch.

• The Power option will use integers instead of faithmath (as itā€™s mostly going to go down). It will let the player try to avoid stat checks that might be difficult for their specific stat-set. Again, these mechanics are now pretty much identical to Zipā€™s, but a tad more involved.

• Iā€™m keeping the mid-game goals/end-game goals as they are, although obviously people reading the Demo have only encountered 3 of them yet.

But there are a lot of elements I need help with! Some examples below!

• Is there a coding or continuity error? Please bring it to my attention! I can only play the game so many times myself.

• Can a scene be restructured to be more effective? Like when someone mentioned that Downfall would probably delay punishing the MC until AFTER the battle. That just makes sense, and so Iā€™m accepting that suggestion and making changes. And the people who suggested maybe reworking the first scene, having the MC tell the story first off, and THEN show off, well Iā€™m still thinking about that too. There are merits there! (although I do like currently having the ā€œfā€ word in the very first line) :slight_smile:

• Pacing - Is there a nice mixture of fast scenes and slower scenes? Did you want more of something in a scene? Did you want less of something in a scene?

• Choices - The most important aspects (for me) for choices are: A) Are they balanced? This means no choice is clearly better than the others. B) Do you understand the stakes? This means, if one option is meant to be tougher than the others, do you understand that from the prose and context? C) Goals - most choices are designed to further one of your goals. Do you understand which goal you are pursuing by picking the option you chose?

• ā€œFun Factorā€ Could a scene be more fun? More exciting? Sadder? Scarier? Whatever Iā€™m going for in that scene, could I have cranked it up even more? If so, feel free to suggest something specific. It doesnā€™t mean Iā€™l incorporate it, but if you say, ā€œHey if you would have written xyz, it would have really cranked up the tension here!ā€ see THAT is some potential actionable feedback!

• And obviously typos and small grammar errors. Although I do my best to give you folks a fairly clean product, these do sneak through!

I hope this maybe clarifies what I would find helpful! Again, I say this because I donā€™t want anyone spending a lot of time with ā€œwish listsā€ that Iā€™ll have to essentially ignore. That doesnā€™t use anyoneā€™s time wisely at all, and we all only have so much time in the day.

(I should probably paste this into Post #1 too)

12 Likes

Yes, Nullifying Power seem simple but very much deadly along with the boosts (side effects) it give, force the opponent to pull out whatever combat skill they have while you have the strength and speed advantages.

What Dwayne say about agreeing with me seem a bit off what i really said :confused: seem like Iā€™m writing too much for people to read. (English not my native, so most of my comments sound like gibberish but thatā€™s how i understand it :/).

Our charactersā€™s power is good, amazing i dare say, but what i was the scenes and reactions only fit for the Zeanith Power path. Dr.Stench Armor got attention of the Dozen, sure, but the students donā€™t know that, it can be modified and can be a threat, yes, but until then. Right now, what they seeing, what WE seeing is an armor with knock out gas (which is in DG set of power), it may impress some of the students but can it really be considered a ā€œthreatā€ if what it does is use gas like DG just a bit better since she only just explored her power? Beside it an ā€œArmorā€ that can take and throw punches. Again, modifiable but we, they see what in front of our, their eyes, not what it can be. Same can be said to the Scanner (Tactician path). You can read more of my opinions i states above about it.

Also, donā€™t mistake, but Iā€™m not complaining nor asking for changes, Iā€™m happy with whatever it have and excited about the possibilities. Iā€™m just holding back a lot about so many things, and Iā€™m getting very frustrating about not having my opinions. I learned that i need to shut up, but I feel like Iā€™m just going to snap and letting my frustrations on my stuffs which Iā€™m not looking forward to :))

Yes, i agree. But what Dwayne agreeing with me, Iā€™m already state my own opinions about it above, Iā€™m just comment it too much like gibberish for anyone to read ://

Again, Iā€™m not complaining nor asking for changes. Iā€™m very much like the game and happy with what it already have. Iā€™m just have to let it out cuz of my frustrations on many things :((

Sorry if this cause any misunderstanding, Iā€™ll try to be more clearly.

Definitely for now it seems like the stench suit isnā€™t all that. But weā€™re only seeing it after a short time of the mc actually possessing it. Iā€™m positive the suit is gonna evolve to be more than the glimpse we have seen but even as it is now, itā€™s pretty powerful and honestly, if i remember correctly, DG hasnā€™t even gotten to the point where she can do that as well and the majority of the speck students donā€™t know the extent of each others powers since they didnā€™t really talk about it outside of their respective groups so i think they would see the suit as something powerful or potentially dangerous if it can knock out one of them. The other students wonā€™t see it now cause, to be honest, in my mind i see the prestige and savior kids just looking at somebody with that and scoffing without any idea how much damage the suit can actually cause in smart hands because they believe their abilities can beat something like that. Think about it, Stunner would probably congratulate you on finding something like that but he would probably believe his power alone can defeat you, when, if we look at it, the suit can actually prove to beat him if you run the scenario in your head.

Just one more reminder, as I go eat my lunch, is that Part 3 will take place over an entire year, whereas Part 1 and Part 2 only covered 3-4 months each.

So there will be a lot of time for MC to improve in Part 3, there will be lots of showdowns with members of the Dozen, so your battle experience will be honed, and one of the goals youā€™ve already encountered is: Become a Grade-9 hero. I mean, I wouldnā€™t have included that goal if it was going to be unattainable.

9 Likes

Awwwā€¦ I was hoping Iā€™d hit Grade 10ā€¦ :wink:

7 Likes

we didnā€™t pass finals so he is holding us back.

How well known was your father as a villain? Like would your classmates know of him? Iā€™m not sure it is ever stated or if maybe I missed that bit.

1 Like

He was supposed to be a C-lister, so maybe one or two would have but not most of the class, I guess? Could even be a regional thing.

6 Likes

Iā€™d imagine heā€™d be known like a modern day child actor or sit-com star from years past ā€¦ although with the fame that the MC has gathered recently, I imagine a revival of his fan club at the leastā€¦ maybe a surge in interest driving a Christmas special or something like that airing on the ID/Murder cable channel ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been wondering, how does the nullify ability work against enemies like Monstrosity X? With exception to his fear aura, his ability seems to be centered mostly around his body. Would nullifying his ability only nullify the fear aura, or would it paralyze him due to his whole body being his ability?

Iā€™m truly sorry if Iā€™ve offended anyone through my comment, especially @Eric_Moser, I truly apologize and would only bring up actionable opinions henceforth.

Just wanna say that I think removing the customization options is a bad idea. I completely get the logic of the char is stronger, but that customization is part of emotional investment as well. Is there a reason you canā€™t add base amounts to our existing stats or am I missing something?

In the most recent update, base amounts were added depending on your background

Iā€™m going off of the remarks that bonuses from gear in pt1 and certain choices in pt 2 didnā€™t get factored in at all.

The gear is either destroyed or unrecoverableā€¦ I donā€™t expect non-existent gear to keep giving bonuses.

As far as the choices from part two go:

Perhaps it is the conversion to fairmath that you are not taking into account,

I am referring to this statement:

1. You mentioned that our gear based stat boosts wonā€™t transfer over, but what about the boosts we got from training and the nanite upgrade we can buy in part 2?

There are just too many possible combinations for me to calculate, and really those would have a negligible impact when you look at the context of the story. Your new MC will be MUCH more powerful than your old MC, to the extent that those tiny boosts wouldnā€™t really have moved the meter anyway.

I think there are other solutions, though. Offering a choice and then intentionally not carrying it over kinda goes against the spirit of these games. The gear bonuses are explained, so I get that, but things like the nanites should still be reflected.

There are no variables for the nanites, it would be impossible for it to be reflected.