Community College Hero: Knowledge is Power (old WIP thread, now closed)

No Stoic-bat can let my fav RO become a baseball bat!

There are actually multiple ways to harm a villian. With force field powers. Thanks to my extensive knowledge on super powers i think i can come up with a list of practical uses.
-basketball sized spheres to fling at the enemy
-wrapping your target in a force field and shaking it like a muraka
-wrapping yourself with a skin tight force field and make yourself “fly” thus turning into a human wrecking ball
-creating marble sized force fields that she could fire off as bullets
-give a much stronger ally force field armor and let them do all the close range fighting
-make the shield rubbery so it can send back projectiles
-crush or beat the enemy with a sheild the size of a car
How would she do all this? ? ? Well since most force field user’s have a link to the sheilds they produce, with proper training she could potentially form a more telekenetic link with her sheilds. Unfortunately Stoic is a bit too. . . . .Stoic to want to take part in that kind of intense training. :smirk:

I’d like to throw my two cents in, as I love talking about powers.
So on that note, lets begin.

“It’s some kind of force field…”

First things first, we need to talk about barrier type powers.
As we are talking about something that can either exclude a fundamental force, like kinetic (Though that’s not to say that other forces are excluded, and in someways that is how the power itself works…Converting and scattering one form of concentrated energy over a multitude of other energy forms as to diffuse and negate the possibly negative effects of the energy may be.), or Diffusing, Storing or Buffering the energy form. ( Like an earthquake over jelly, or hitting a board rather than hitting a nail into a board.).
And in truth the method of how any of these are archived is just as important as what it shields against.

Here is where Stoic becomes interesting,Yes, she practically invincible, she’s been shown to completely ignore Newtons laws of motion and force. You know the whole, an object at rest (Stoic) stays at rest unless acted on by an unbalanced force (Anything with the force capable of accelerating a roughly 70 Kg girl), with the cravat in her case being that there has yet to be a Unbalanced force capable of acting on her, without her consent (The Exception being light and gravity, because the mere fact that we can see her proves that light atoms are reflecting off her, and the fact that she’s as of yet not floating around proves that her power either can’t mitigate the forces of gravity.). As demonstrated when shine runs full pelt into her during Downfalls lesson. Shine is hurt because they go from 17 km to 0 straight away, because Stoic is not impacted at all, like when cars had no crumple zone to slow the rate of deceleration. But Stoics removal from the world in the form of kinetic energy doesn’t top here.

Her power has demonstrated that the rapid vibration of atoms, I.E Sound waves produced by Stunner can’t effect her, along with general heat lose, when everyone was at the farm, telling us that heat (and I’m not just talking about fire by the lack there of.) can’t effect her or its effect is servery mitigated.

Stoic’s Power is actually really interesting, at least from the way Eric has displayed it so far.
Most authors when dealing with defensive characters / powers, especially force field type powers will give them confusing and at times even contradictory methods of operation. The most infamous example being the " I’ll create a shield as we fall to break the fall", which instead of acting as a safe net to protect against the fall, will instead lead to you being squished.
But here is where Stoic differs, it’s less like she has a shield and more like she is removed from the world, but at the same time still able to act upon the world.
But a thing to keep in mind is that she has show a capacity to influence how, and I hate to say the word, powerful her shied is or at least how much of an effect it has on the word.
Though that is not to say that there is no way to hurt her, just that it would require an esoteric effect from a power, like being between two of of Crooks portals, or having all the air taken away, poison, Time manipulation ect.

Imagine if you will, someone like The Hedonist or Mob dropping / throwing Stoic at something at significant velocity.
Due to the nature of her power, she would be the equivalent of the unstoppable object. (Well in reality she’s the unmovable object, it just so happens in this situation that she is moving very fast in one direction) It’s important to note here that we will be using Newtons third law of motion, that Force = Mass times acceleration, but Stoic’s power bypasses one very critical aspect of this equation, “Acceleration”, yes Stoic may only be a 70 kg little girl at most, but unlike a normal 70 kg little girl, no amount of force will be able to increase her acceleration without her allowing it. (Or without clever manoeuvring of what counts as moving, like say moving the environment shes attached to.) So the damage would be rather extreme if you can get your head around the fact that the only thing that would slow her down would be the pull of gravity, and whatever she ran into being unable to move anymore.

Or to quote the above link “A barrier could also be sent forward to attack enemies—if it can stop bullets, it’s going to hurt if it runs into your face. The more deadly form of this would be to crush someone with the impenetrable shield and if you can control the shape of the barrier, you could hypothetically give it sharp edges as well.”

Or rather imagine if she were to attack someone with a bomb, something that she would have no fear of damaging her self with. Or like so many above have mention if she was used as a baseball bat, and one can only imagine what Crook using portals on Stoic would be like.

5 Likes

You should meet a friend of mine. He loves getting into the deeper and more scientific aspects of super powers and other abilities.

But yes i can’t wait to learn more about Stoic’s and her powers because as foreshadowed by Crook she is far more powerful than most would think.
That also reminds me, what do you think Downfall did in order to actually scare Stoic?

1 Like

I think, because Downfall has shown the ability to mimic the powers of Zeniths within a certain range, as demonstrated during the Defence and Breaking things and people final, that Downfall probably messed around with how Stoics invulnerability works.

Probably highlighting to Stoic some esoteric method of bypassing her defences, now whether this means that she was able to effect Stoic, or whether one of her teammates powers were able to, doesn’t really matter.

(For example being able to make physical contact when she has her shield up would probably mess with her head, as Stoic was rather confused by the Raspberry attack our MC can attempt, even if never really connected, or using one of her team mates powers to hurt or stop her. As they mentioned before that the Spiked Gladiator was able to “Freeze” people, Origami can become 2D, and perhaps messing around with dimensions could be extended onto others or used to make very sharp, if completely fragile blades, it could work if the person using it had durability or the item had durability, Crooks ability to create portals might be able to bypass Stoics Shield, or it could have been used to throw her around the field or Maybe due to being able, at least in theory to mimic Stoics Power Downfall used her own power against her, perhaps displaying an inherit weakness or some hidden aspect)

Though it shouldn’t be discounted that maybe Downfall was just really ruthless in her test, hurting the team to a degree that unnerved Stoics Nerves of Steel, as Mob noted that he could take way more strength then he previously thought after Downfalls fight so its not impossible to suggest that Downfall couldn’t just start throwing super punches at her team, origami would have been horribly hurt if any of them connected.

4 Likes

All of this is very possible. If marvel and anime have taught me anything, it’s that there is no such thing as a perfect or useless power. Although i’m suprised that Origami actually had combat potential ,Downfall is proof of that fact. Now that i think about it, if Downfall really wanted to help us better protect ourselves why did she focus more on physical training than she did actual Zenith power training?It’s stuff like this that REALLY makes me excited about what new things captain California will reveal because for all we know maybe Xeniths can’t handle the strain of their powers if their body isn’t physically fit.

I wonder if the powers will be based on the Class we chose :confused:

At first,it technically was.There were going to be 3 dual power sets:

Super Strength & Force Fields:Pow and Thud (Acrobat)
Flight & Laser Beams:Whoosh and Zap (Sharpshooter)
Invisibility & Telepathy:Shhh and Hmmm (Detective)

(Note:The archetypes I listed at the end of each set aren’t mandatory.A Sharpshooter could easily have Super Strength/Force Fields and a Acrobat could have Invisibility/Telepathy.I just listed the ones that make the most sense.)

Of course,that was the original plan.However,I think Eric just said ‘fuck it’ and said that you’ll get ALL SIX POWERS if you go the Zenith route,most probably to save time(I am sure he’ll find a way to prevent you from being too OP.)

5 Likes

I personally hope he doesn’t make us too OP otherwise fights will get boring, other training sessions will be child’s play, and the hate will rain down on him(not from me tho,I can get over small stuff like this). Have you played that one COG book where gods give u super human abilities? Power scaling like that was just bad because you never really feel like the MC is in danger. I was an interesting story but not at all satisfying. Which is why i’m happy about the audition of the Ouch meter and that I hope the zenith route works something like this. The more points u have in a curtain stat, the more potent the ability that is linked to that stat will be, and make the opposite true as well.

1 Like
  • A high tech helmet with a helpful AI companion built in
  • A high tech tablet to plan out strategies
  • Small blue tooth communicator.One for each team member.

0 voters

How do you think the hmmmm of the Tactician will be increased and used?

4 Likes

@Eric_Moser
Dude I am so sorry, happy birthday!!! Hope you’re doing great!!

2 Likes

Wait,it’s his birthday?

Well,in that case,happy birthday Eric.

2 Likes

Happy birthday Eric! Hope it turns out to be a good one.

It was, like 3 days ago :sweat:

Thanks for the happy birthday wishes! One year closer to retirement! (and the grave) :skull:

And small visual spoiler…some images of StreetSmart on Twitter…

14 Likes

How long until someone ask if he can be romanceable?

2 Likes

He’s kinda cute… No! I must be strong! We don’t need Saviour! SPECK FOREVER!

Also, I’m completely happy with Mob, thank you very much.

1 Like

:unamused: Who even would get the idea to ask tha- looks at the pictures

Oh no, he’s hot!

…I want to punch his pretty face! :grinning: (And maybe romance his sister instead…when we already are asking for other people to romance)

1 Like

This is the first step to cheating on a relationship. :biohazard:

2 Likes

So THAT’S who that is!
Dang it, why do there have to be so many attractive characters?!

So uh, any plans to add more romance options? Because I wouldn’t mind a few certain characters to be romance options.