Community College Hero: Knowledge is Power (old WIP thread, now closed)

I don’t see how it is “potentially” rape. They wanted a better grade, consented to it, and had sex with him. I think you’re overthinking it. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

I think you’re underthinking how intimidating a person like that can be, and that you didn’t read my earlier post about the various reasons a student might have said yes without actually wanting to. Points which I’ve repeated several times, so would rather not again, but they’re just a few posts up.

7 Likes

He’s abusing a position of power to gain sexual favours. That is effectively rape, even if he doesn’t see it that way.

11 Likes

Meh.

Even though it technically is consent,it’s not the good kind.

The good kind is when you fuck someone because you genuinely want to fuck them.Maybe it’s cuz of their looks,maybe it’s cuz you’ve been dating them for a while and want to take it to the next level,and there are a bunch of other scenarios like that.

This,however,is not the case.The students wouldn’t fuck the Hedonist out of their own will.Rather,they’re doing it so they don’t fail the class.They may despise the Hedonist (hell,they might not even be into guys),but because they’re stressed out about getting a good grade,they’ll do it anyway,whether they want to or not.

7 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

10 Likes

Really? I don’t remember that part. But if that’s the case, I can’t deny that you’re right.

1 Like

The Hedonist isn’t just slimy - he flat out deserves to be imprisoned. I actually think some people are taking him too lightly. He’s a freak, a diseased animal. He expresses the characteristics of a rapists for sure.

If we ever get to do anything to him in-game I’m doing it. But I don’t just mean physical. If I could get him flat out arrested somehow, I’d do that too. I tried to tell the Dean about him, but apparently my character just said “fuck it.”

At least he’s not an outright asshole like DownFall. I want another round with her.

Edit: I forgot about the whole grade thing as leverage to have forced sex with students. Yeah, nevermind, he’s just as big of an asshole.

4 Likes

You there. I like that.

1 Like

If it was only the MC the one who initiates it, it wouldn’t be so bad. (Although the hedonist should still know better and reject them).
But when you fail, he actually offers you that “extra credit” and that’s fucked up.

6 Likes

Oh that Hedonist, stirring up debate yet again. And he’s displayed…somewhat…good behavior in part 2 thus far.

Got another entry in the art contest this weekend! And it was another really impressive one! I haven’t decided yet, but I fear it will be too difficult for me to pick a winner. I will probably choose to turn it over to the readers.

5 Likes

My definition of harm is, put simply, a significant negative impact an action or piece of information can have on an individual(s). And seeing as we can only make concrete judgements based on what we the player see in the story, the Hedonist’s actions do not in fact meet that criteria. It’s very possible that I’ve missed something, however. As I’ve said, he offers a boost to our grade in exchange for sex. Bad thing to do. But it isn’t rape. Not at all. I’m not going to agree that it’s traumatizing until we meet characters that have, you know, been traumatized by this. Look, I’m not trying to downplay sexual harassment and I apologize if that’s how I’m coming across. But giving something a label far more serious than what it actually is can only weaken the meaning of the label.

Other people have already elaborated on what I’ve said to the point that I don’t feel I have anything to add. I disagree, but I don’t think I have anything to say that I haven’t already said.

3 Likes

I’m considering running a Kickstarter in late spring to raise money for a illustrated CCH character guide featuring the 25 or so characters the MC encounters in Part 1.

My goals are:

1. raise sufficient money to pay for the art and production costs,
  2. get all backers a CCH character guide before Part 2 is released,
  3. keep costs low (providing it in PDF/PNG format to make it available internationally)
  4. spike some new interest in CCH,
  5. help make something really cool!

The best part about Kickstarter is the “all or nothing” approach. If I don’t get funding, the project doesn’t get finished. That’s smarter than me commissioning the project and perhaps never selling enough to break even. That being said, some of the product would be created before the KS launches, to show potential backers what the end result might look like. It can’t be entirely speculative. People want to see that the creator can/will deliver on the project.

Possible additional rewards/add-ons could include:

1. Q&As with me on skype or phone
  2. Physical signed sets of prints from Part 1
  3. Possible “sneak peaks” of cover art for Part 2
  4. Another short story like “A Very Stoic Christmas”

So here’s the poll. Would anyone be potentially interested in backing this?

• Yes, I’d likely back the character guide as long as the price remained under $15 USD.
  • Yes, I’d likely back the character guide AND I might also want an additional reward/add-on such as you listed in this post.
  • Yes, I’d likely back the character guide BUT I might prefer other rewards/add-ons you haven’t mentioned (I will explain my preferred reward in a post below)
  • No, I wouldn’t back the project because I’m on a tight budget.
  • No, I wouldn’t back the project because I don’t want to see visuals of the characters.
  • No, I wouldn’t back this project because I don’t like CCH. Wait…why am I on this thread?

0 voters

5 Likes

Can you add a poll option to back without a price caveat? I like the reward ideas and while I’m not sure what all tiers you’re planning on doing, I wouldn’t limit my support to just 15 dollars

EDIT: Also, not sure if it’s feasible, but having the guide in a booklet would also be a cool reward for higher tiers

It’s fine to just give feedback like you just did.

I can’t actually change the poll after the first 5 minutes (already passed) but I’ll read all feedback in posts.

And yes a physical booklet could be a higher tier. And yes it would be cool to offer. I am just very sensitive to international readers because I always feel like they are left out because of high mailing costs. I wanted to make sure everyone could get something for a reasonable price.

4 Likes

Ah, I’d back that. Let me check my balance… $0.00 :frowning:

1 Like

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. :sob:

6 Likes

Pretty optimistic about the poll feedback thus far.

And after thinking it over, I think a “Compendium” would be a better project than just a “Character Guide.” A compendium could include, in addition to an illustrated character guide, more written content like:

• Roleplay stat sheets for some of the characters!

• More “lore” - information about the setting and the CCH universe at -large (no spoilers)

• Some of my early notes and character concepts

19 Likes

Have you considered including the guide without the illustrations in the next udpate?

Then people could test if they like the result before deciding if they want to back the project.

Depends entirely on who your artist is, and what the pictures are going to look like.

I wouldn’t mind a little more back story on all of the characters in the booklet too.

Will you be doing it as a tier system of rewards, so that certain characters are unlocked at various goals? Or just completely all of the illustrations or none?

I take it you can’t offer prizes actually in Community College Hero 2 (or future ones) like designing heroes, cameo appearances, naming things, etc? Or some other extremely high priced tiers where you offer to write short stories of the bidders or their characters in the Community College World? (I’ve seen those sorts of tiers on other projects before. They’re usually hundreds, and no loss if no one bids.)

3 Likes